Any Motorcycle Riders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Motorcycle Riders?

Just curious if any of my fellow ShockerNetters ride? It's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid, even have an aunt and uncle that rode for years and eventually graduated to trikes as they got older. I have a couple of cousins that ride at least from time to time. None of my close friends do, which is unfortunate. I recently passed the riding course that Twister City puts on and got my motorcycle endorsement and am waiting for a couple of parts to come in before taking possession of my bike. I will say that while I put much stress on myself while taking the course, I had a blast and really look forward to riding from time to time and getting used to it. Our Chief of Police has been pretty stoked about me finally getting one as he just picked it up a few years ago. I will say that I do get the feeling that there really is a sense of community in many circles when it comes to riding.

I'm mostly just curious how many on here may ride, or have ridden in the past. Thoughts? Advice? Random facts or stories?
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

I've ridden a motorcycle since I was 14. Had a long stretch in my 20s and some in my 30s where I didn't ride much at all. Got back into it about 12 or 13 years ago. Became part of a local church-based motorcycle group that would go on weekly "milkshake runs" and have the occasional longer ride. It disbanded after 5 or 6 years. Most of my riding now is to work, so I don't get out on the open road much unless my son and I decided to go out together.

Bikers are a good community, acknowledge each other on the road and are usually willing to help other bikers with whatever.

What bike are you starting out with?

Comment

I'm starting with an '07 HD XL1200C Sportster. Everything I've read and heard from others say it's a good starting place and wasn't overly expensive. My goals were something relatively cheaper, comfortable and not too demanding as I learn what I may or may not want to do in the future. Once it's delivered, I'll mostly use it to ride around my little hometown to get more comfortable with it and just being on the bike. Visit family on it here. Maybe take it to Andover to see some friends from time to time and eventually find a route into work that doesn't include Kellogg or 235, at least early on. I work near Kellogg and 235 and right now, I wouldn't trust me in that traffic and I'm pretty sure I'll never trust everyone else, but maybe I'll get over that fear eventually.

I almost did this about 12 years ago, but while I was looking into it, I met a girl and chose her over the bike. I think she was against it just because her biological father rode and for some reason she held that against him. I wish I'd done this sooner, like after we were done, but here I am. Finally doing something I've wanted to do since I learned to drive. I can also thank my therapist for encouraging this. I'm kind of hopeful that maybe I do meet a few new friends because of it eventually. I love my close knit circle of friends, who I've knows since at least HS if not longer, but I could use some help getting outside my comfort zone from time to time and maybe this will lead there. Who knows, before long I may be full Sons of Anarchy and smuggling drugs and guns. Probably not, but I got caught up in the moment.

Bike to the bike, it was still going through inspection when I chose it and they've had to order a couple of parts. I was contacted this weekend that my sales guy has the service manager searching for the parts in hopes that we don't have to wait for their delivery from Harley. Either way, I'm excited that they're eager to get me on the bike as soon and as safe as possible. I will say between the class and talking to multiple sales people out at Twister City, I'm a big fan of what they do and their approach to everything. They all really do seem sincere in just wanting to get people on bikes and to do it the right way. I know there are a few other local dealerships and they may be every bit as good, but I have very limited exposure at this point.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

It does seem like everyone is riding a Harley these days. I've never been on one. Only owned Honda, Yamaha and now a Kawasaki.

You might be able to find folks to ride with through ABATE of KS, or some local facebook groups. There's a group called Badgers who are popular on social media and are trying to establish a nationwide network to support bikers that have a local focus. Their facebook group, which I recently joined (thanks to my son who has worked with them) is https://www.facebook.com/groups/supportbikerskansas/

Comment

I'll have to look into that. The few people I knew growing up were all Harley people. The Harley dealership also had the class. The Chief of Police highly recommended it. I wasn't all in on Harley from the get go, but my experience through Twister City was so good I couldn't help myself. Now, they did have a Honda that they were going to show me, but it sold before I made it out there. I forget what they call the program, but if you buy a non-Harley from them, you can trade it in for a Harley within 12 months and they give you the full purchase price back to put towards your new bike. I think I got that right. That sounded like a promising way to dip my feet into things, but it wasn't meant to be. They'd also sold a ton of bikes in the past month as their inventory had taken a hit. We were only inside for classroom portions a few hours each day, and during those abbreviated times Saturday and Sunday, they had to sell at least 12 bikes. They ring a bell so it's obvious. Not sure if those were all HD or not as I know I've seen some other brands online there.

I hope I love it and in a year or two maybe upgrade to something a little bigger. Chief always talks about how great going and riding in Arkansas or Colorado is and if that's something I aspire to do eventually I'll need something with more range and load capacity. Even if I decide to keep things closer to home, I'm sure there's an upgrade in my future.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Have ridden since I was about seven. Riding dirt bikes with my Dad on trails in the Ozarks of NW AR where we lived at the time. Got my first street bike when I was about 25. Currently have a big two-up touring bike my wife and I take on day trips and multi-day trips, and a sport bike. Big bike gets used a few times a year; haven't ridden the sport bike in years. Had a dirt bike for trail riding until a couple of years ago when all my dirt riding buddies slowly dropped out of the hobby. It is difficult to be a dirt/trail guy in the Wichita area - have to drive a couple of hours at least to get to any riding areas. I'm a euro bike guy so I've had KTM, Ducati, MV Agusta, and BMW. Have never ridden to work (when I used to have to go in to a job as an employee), nor for work now, and I try to ride in town as little as possible. My goal is generally to get out of town as efficiently as possible. In-town riding is quite dangerous IMO any more with cell phones and distracted driving. Plus it is not fun at all.

And ATGATT.

Comment

I plan to be geared up pretty much always. I could see myself slacking a bit if just heading to my mothers or my brothers houses. Both about half a mile away in my tiny town where the speed limit is a constant 20, unless you're on Main where it's 25 and traffic is pretty much always minimal. I know, most accidents happen close to home and it's not the plan to not gear up, but I could see those quick little trips not having everything on.

Though any time I leave town I can't imagine not having my battle armor.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Used to ride in Wichita when I lived there. Too dang dangerous out here in So Cal for me to ride. Ride dirt bikes occasionally in the mountains and desert.

Comment

I can't imagine trying to ride in many areas of Cali. I'm sure there are some coastal highways that would be pretty bad ass, but there's a lot of other crap that just seems too much. Though that's also not saying much considering my lack of experience.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I’ve ridden since I was 12. Hadn’t ridden in Alaska until a few weeks ago because moose are big. I traded a big red for a Kawasaki 454 LTD, did a ton of work and rode it the 40 minutes to work but the wind stalls and lack of power was not worth the 7 mpg difference between it and my Buick, so I sold it the other day for snowmachine money (currently building a badass 2016 RMK). Still not opposed to getting a Harley or goldwing someday, but I need some torque for these roads.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Update, my bike was delivered to the house Friday after work and I of course immediately had to take it out. Rode around town for roughly three hours just getting a feel for everything. Left town for the first time Sunday when I went to Andover to spend the day with a couple of my best friends and then came back home that night. Riding in Andover was a little anxiety inducing as it was the first time I had to deal with any actual traffic and having cars all around me. That was an experience.

Definitely getting a little more comfortable with the basics. Being around more vehicles is something I'm going to still have to work on to be a little more comfortable. Still haven't taken it out onto 254 and really don't have any immediate plans to do so. It's a work in process but I probably spent six or so hours on it over the weekend. Enjoyed pretty much every minute of it, even the high anxiety moments.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I'm kind of surprised I haven't updated this at all since I got the bike. Probably because I was on the bike pretty much any and every day I could until the battery died in October, just before I went on vacation. I didn't get a battery tender until late January and finally put it on a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say, I've been on any chance I've gotten. I'm in love. Though I think I'll be looking into going from the Sportster to one of the cruisers when I get a chance. Want something that still handles pretty well in and around town since that's where I do the bulk of my riding but want something that is maybe a little better for longer rides without going up to one of the massive touring bikes that wouldn't be fun around town.

I had to lock up my breaks for the first time yesterday. I was on my way to therapy and had just left work when a semi decided to make a left hand turn in front of me on West street just south of Kellogg. It was scary as hell, but comforting after the fact that I stayed in complete control the entire time. Wheels squealed as I hammered the breaks but the back end never got away from me. So silver lining there. Pretty sure my riding instructors at Twister City would have been proud.

But I actually came to this thread to share the following news story that happened a little over 24 hours ago not far from where mine happened a couple hours later.

KSN - Motorcyclist injured in alleged road rage crash in Wichita

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Police have arrested a 26-year-old woman for allegedly crashing into a motorcycle in a fit of road rage Tuesday morning.

Some Wichita officers were patrolling near Harry and McLean just before noon Tuesday when they found a 62-year-old man sitting on the side of the road. He was in pain. His damaged 2006 Harley Davidson motorcycle was next to him.

The victim told officers that a woman intentionally hit him and then fled in a maroon 2013 Chrysler 200.

As police investigated, they learned both vehicles had traveled west on Pawnee. They said the motorcycle turned north onto Broadway from the inside lane while the car turned north “from the outside lane, almost striking the victim.” Police said the two drivers argued and continued north on Broadway.
                        This is a fear of mine. Not that I'm argumentative, but I can't say I wouldn't have some reaction to someone who nearly hit me because they were being stupid.

Also, if you read the online comments of any article related to motorcycles, you'll see how many people seem to have an absolute disdain for bikers as a whole. The few jackasses that ride like idiots apparently represent the majority of us who are hyper aware and ride knowing that any mistake by us or someone else can end very badly. It's sad to see so many people convinced that we're all daredevil jackasses that don't think the rules of the road pertain to us. Personally, I've seen very few people on motorcycles riding like they own the place and are invincible. But that's apparently all many people choose to see.

But according to this article, the incident was entirely created because of some woman in a car trying to turn into the wrong lane and then took it out on the person she'd almost injured previously by injuring him anyway. There are crazy people out there and I will never deny that. I also refuse to believe most people are as ignorant to reality despite what we see online. Personally, I've seen a number of times while riding people going out of their way to make sure they don't pull in front of me or giving me space from behind when we approach red lights. I had a guy earlier this week that I was trying to allow to pull in front of me on 235 because he was approaching a slower car but he wouldn't move over until after I sped up to get around them both. And that wasn't the first time.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a few that have gone the other way. The north junction scares the **** out of me as people coming up from 135 will sometimes decide to whip into my lane rather than yield as the sign indicates and let me go by. I've swerved a few times to avoid being hit. Or there was the lady on her cell phone last year as I was traveling east down Central who switched lanes right in front of me even though I was essentially on her bumper in the other lane. She was oblivious. I eventually passed her and she was still chatting away on her phone not aware of anything else going on around her.

I will also say that Central between Rock and Webb sucks. Can't tell you how many times I've hit spots that jar the hell out of my back.

This post got a little long.

Stay safe
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Glad to hear your lock-up situation didn't result in a collision or dumping the bike! And I'm glad you're enjoying riding!

You are right that the actions of a few idiot bikers (and from what I've seen, usually the ones on sport bikes) determine how the rest are perceived. The little bit I've driven in larger cities, such as KC, the idiots seem to be in the majority. I've seen a few in Wichita but also see more responsible bikers. I don't think I've ridden my bike in Wichita more than once or twice, so I haven't had any close calls there. In Hutch I have had someone change lanes and nearly hit me. Me hitting the brakes and them realizing at the last second I was there, avoided a collision.

If you mean the north 235/135 interchange, I will be glad when the construction is finished. That spot where the exit from northbound 135 curls around to westbound 235 is awkward, at best.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            Glad to hear your lock-up situation didn't result in a collision or dumping the bike! And I'm glad you're enjoying riding!

You are right that the actions of a few idiot bikers (and from what I've seen, usually the ones on sport bikes) determine how the rest are perceived. The little bit I've driven in larger cities, such as KC, the idiots seem to be in the majority. I've seen a few in Wichita but also see more responsible bikers. I don't think I've ridden my bike in Wichita more than once or twice, so I haven't had any close calls there. In Hutch I have had someone change lanes and nearly hit me. Me hitting the brakes and them realizing at the last second I was there, avoided a collision.

If you mean the north 235/135 interchange, I will be glad when the construction is finished. That spot where the exit from northbound 135 curls around to westbound 235 is awkward, at best.
                            That's the exact interchange. Living in Benton I travel 254 to 235 as I work near 235 and Kellogg. Generally the only place I have issues on my commute is that interchange. Even in the car it can suck. I believe the new exit for 135 north to 235 west should be open in the next two months from what I've read elsewhere. It does look like they're close to having the bridge completed. That will make everything in that area go much smoother.

And like you, I think the only bikers I've seen being jackasses have all been on sport bikes. They're still in the minority from what I've seen even of those that ride sport bikes.

I haven't yet ridden in KC, and will do as much as I can to avoid the major areas, but I do have friends and family in the KC region and plan on going up at some point on the bike (or next bike).

And I have a hard time explaining why the bike means so much to me. My therapist has talked to me about my meta awareness issue, but how it benefits me when riding. It's just draining in other areas. But there's something about the singular focus of riding that I find peaceful, even though I'm constantly aware of everything else. I don't get off on going fast or any such thing. I wear a full faced helmet so it's not like it's the wind in my hair feeling. Also, my desire to ride when I can has been great for working on my social anxiety as I want to get out and go places and it gives me a bit of incentive, or reward, when doing so.

I really wish I'd have done this sooner. Damn that ex girlfriend for shutting it down lol. At this point, I can't imagine life without a bike. I'm sure a day will come, but today is not that day. Well, today and tomorrow are cold so I won't be riding, but you get the point.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Next bike incoming. I stopped by Twister City on Friday after work mostly to check things out and then hopefully figure out what I'm looking for and have someone let me know when such a bike might show up. I was shown a handful of bikes and sat on them to get a feel. I ended up buying one. I'm trading in my '07 Sportster for a '17 Street Bob. I put about 5k miles on the Sportster in the five months or so that I've actually been on it. The Street Bob has fewer than 7k total, so someone was more of a weekend rider which is fine. I don't take possession for another week or two because I'm having them move the pegs forward and they're waiting for the kit to do that with. The location felt a little too much under me and it wasn't comfortable, but when I was on a similar bike with the forward pegs it was much better. They split the costs of moving them forward with me which I thought was nice. Didn't expect it.

I'm also keeping the Sportster until I take possession, though with the recent drop in morning temps along with the forecast rain this week I may not get to take it out. But I'm pretty excited to have something a little bigger and more comfortable on the highways. Having a sixth gear will be something new but I'm told it makes highway riding a lot better and the in town stuff shouldn't change much.

I'm pretty stoked about this and hope to have it for a long time. Already been looking at potential modifications for it, though I'm not pulling any triggers until I've had it a bit. Though I would be interested in seeing if I could add cruise control to it. That would come in really handy when going up to KC, or to NWA or other such longer rides.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X