Return to Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Office

It's been pointed out by some Negative Nancy's that downtown office space is pretty much doomed because people prefer remote work. While many do prefer working remote, and right now, skilled workers have some leverage, it may not remain that way. Some businesses have taken to and like remote work. I know the job I left, they had certain departments that they needed in the office more often than not due to the nature of the business, ease of communication and having to work together are urgent projects and such, but the F&A department that I was a part of they learned that we could easily work from home and they could still easily monitor our progress. It also allowed them to give up some office space to save money. Though their more corporate settings in Chicago, STL and NYC were pushing to get most everyone back in the office when I left. I think they were up to three days a week in those Finance departments. Personally, there were pros and cons to working from home. Saved a lot of gas. Got to play with my dogs while I worked and had easy access to food and snacks which also saved money. However, as someone who also deals with social anxiety, it made that part of my life much worse. Having the daily interactions of going to work played a much bigger part to helping in that field than I'd realized and it became really difficult to leave the house, and when I did, I'd resorted to ordering my groceries for pick up and the same with most of my food that I wasn't preparing at home. My social interaction went way down outside of the couple days a month I might see friends. I left that job and am back in the office every day. I will admit, that I was comfortable at my last job but in order to get me away and to get me in the office everyday I got about a 20% increase in pay and all my other benefits pretty much stayed the same. I'm a month in and learning how to process so much stimuli is still a struggle at times, I'm also in a much better place with my anxiety and much of that is thanks to therapy. But this was all supposed to be a small setup for the article I wanted to link and I got a little carried away.

WBJ - Want to lure remote workers back? Here's the best incentive to offer

About 29% of employees currently working remotely said no incentive would get them back to working in a physical office, according to a survey of 3,000 workers by Blackhawk Network Holdings Inc. The remaining 71% said they would be open to returning to work but want specific incentives.

The most effective? Money. About 62% of remote workers who would be open to returning agreed more money would make them more willing to return to the office. How much? The average amount of money identified by surveyed workers was $11,700.

For those companies that don't want to dish out even more extra money at a time when pay is rising rapidly, there are some other popular incentives that could be effective, according to the survey.

About 49% of workers said a four-day workweek would encourage them to return to the office, while 44% agreed more paid time off would help.

Many companies are rolling out food-based incentives, such as free snacks, to entice workers back. The survey found only 25% of workers said free snacks and coffee would lure them back. Other amenities, such as private offices (24%), break rooms with video games or game tables (14%) and merchandise (11%) didn't move the needle.
    Flexibility does go a long way. America has long been looked at as a bit odd by some of our friends around the globe with the amount of hours we put in and the lack of vacation time we are given compared to many other nations. Numerous studies have shown that offering more PTO is a net positive for most businesses as it keeps employees fresher and less down about work. Same has actually been said about four day work weeks or even decreased hours. I've personally worked jobs where I could get my tasks done in 30-35 hours each week, and that was still pushing out millions of dollars in invoicing. Sometimes you help others and there were many times where we simply didn't have enough to do, but were still required to work our 40. Granted, as an hourly employee, it's hard to give up that extra money regardless. I'm currently in a salaried position where it simply comes down to getting your workload done. If that's less than 40, so be it.

I also think many remote workers would be open to going into the office a couple days a week as needed. Even with my last job, there were times I missed being in the office because it was easier to communicate and track people down when you had questions or whatever. I'm also not going to lie in that being able to dress comfortably was also a perk of remote work. I once had a job for a company that the only time we had any real dress code is if a client or prospective client were visiting the office. Their theory was that it's better to have employees that are comfortable and do their job well than making them dress a certain way when 90% of the time we were never interacting with clients outside of phone calls and emails. And some of the clients we'd had for a longer period knew about our lack of dress code and when they visited the only rules were generally don't wear flip flops. I may be in the minority, but if you have a job that doesn't meet face to face with anyone outside of your company, I don't see a true purpose in having strict dress codes. Some people enjoy it and that's fine, but I think more and more people find it to be more of a burden.

Also of note, I believe one of the articles I read last week had downtown Wichita office space at something like 82% which isn't bad. Will that change as leases come to an end? Though with a few more tech companies looking to move into Wichita they've been pretty much exclusively looking for downtown office space if memory serves. It will be interesting to follow, but some jobs really are better off in person and some jobs work just as well remotely. There will come a time though when I think the employees might have a little less sway, but I could be wrong.

Though another survey by ADP showed 52% of workers would rather take a pay cut than move back into the office even in a hybrid setting. I think many of those people are eventually going to change their minds. Especially with inflation continuing to be a *****.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

A commercial that never gets old...

Bonus commercial... pretty solid script. LOL!

"I miss the 80's."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I worked from home the last 6 or 7 years of my career. It was unofficial so I kept my office. Started 1 day a week at home until I was home 100% of the time. Well over half the people I worked with were outside the US. Ninety percent of the US folks were spread out across the country. Fortunately I had the space at home to isolate.

The good: productive, low cost, wardrobe savings, no commute, no distractions... Bad, missed the personal contact, always available (people I delt with were in 7 different timezones), no decompression time between work & family (the commute was a time to put the work contention behind me), difficult to end the day....

Overall, I chose to work at home inspite of the negatives, the last 2 I found the hardest. Not having a commute did not shorten my day.

I laughed that I started my career in dark suits, white shirt and a tie, and ended it in pajamas.

Comment

You had me at the title. I thought maybe they found some lost episodes of The Office, or were getting the cast back to make an Office Special or something.

Comment

I worked from home the last 6 or 7 years of my career. It was unofficial so I kept my office. Started 1 day a week at home until I was home 100% of the time. Well over half the people I worked with were outside the US. Ninety percent of the US folks were spread out across the country. Fortunately I had the space at home to isolate.

The good: productive, low cost, wardrobe savings, no commute, no distractions... Bad, missed the personal contact, always available (people I delt with were in 7 different timezones), no decompression time between work & family (the commute was a time to put the work contention behind me), difficult to end the day....

Overall, I chose to work at home inspite of the negatives, the last 2 I found the hardest. Not having a commute did not shorten my day.

I laughed that I started my career in dark suits, white shirt and a tie, and ended it in pajamas.

Comment

Before the pandemic I didn't want any part of working remotely. I enjoyed going in to the office and having personal, face-to-face interactions, even if most of my work was independent (software development). Then we couldn't have more than 10 people in our office, so I was one who volunteered to work from home. I adjusted pretty well to it and came to like it well enough. Over the previous couple of years our company had replaced retiring client services employees with a number of single 20-somethings who moved to Hutch for the job. When the pandemic hit most of them moved back to their hometowns and worked from there. We no longer needed the amount of office space we were occupying so the company downsized to a new downtown loft-style office, having gone from about 30-35 full time in-office employees to about 15, plus 5 or so who split time between home and office.

I now work from home two days a week and in the office for three. I like the split, and it sets the stage for hopefully being able to take extended summer vacations that would allow me to work half-time while on the road. We even picked our RV partly based on it having a built-in desk.

One of the realities of being a software company in rural America is that you can't draw programmers here. Partly due to perceived quality of life and partly due to them having so many job options that would allow them to stay put. So we have to hire people where they are. We have remote developers in Wichita, KC, OKC, Wisconsin and California. We have one developer in the office full time and two of us who split time.

Comment

Studies on remote working vs. onsite working show varying things. Some workers are more productive from home and some do better at the office. Some employers think it works, and others don't. Employers keep up on their workers productivity in various ways............ some use the computer camera, which seems to be invasive to me, and other employers use other means.

I would think that if the employee had an hour commute or more, they would prefer working remotely.

I don't have a "dog in the fight", but I think it's interesting, how things have changed, and continue to change as remote working evolves.

Thoughts on any of these issues?

Comment

I go into the office every day. It is down the hall from the master bedroom.

I work in a bit of a specialized field, of which there are only about 50 others with the same license and doing the same gig in the Wichita metro. Getting into the field, and the process required to secure the license truly was a nightmare... BUT the light at the end of the tunnel was:

1a. - Working from home.
                1b. - Taking as much time off as I darn well please.
                1c. - Being my own boss.

I probably take about eight weeks a year of vacation, maybe more. As a self-employed person that time off comes with a massive opportunity cost (money spent on travels, plus income given up by not working), but I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday over the prison that is the two or three weeks off a year garbage as someone else's indentured servant.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  I go into the office every day. It is down the hall from the master bedroom.

I work in a bit of a specialized field, of which there are only about 50 others with the same license and doing the same gig in the Wichita metro. Getting into the field, and the process required to secure the license truly was a nightmare... BUT the light at the end of the tunnel was:

1a. - Working from home.
                  1b. - Taking as much time off as I darn well please.
                  1c. - Being my own boss.

I probably take about eight weeks a year of vacation, maybe more. As a self-employed person that time off comes with a massive opportunity cost (money spent on travels, plus income given up by not working), but I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday over the prison that is the two or three weeks off a year garbage as someone else's indentured servant.
                  Being self employed is a good gig if you can get it, and since you are in a specialized field, with little competition, you can set it up anyway you want. I would say that is rare for a self employed person. Many don't have a high margin of income where insurance, etc. isn't a headache.

Comment

Working...
                  X