Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butler County Softball Coach Resigns

Times-Gazette - Doug Chance resigns as Butler softball head coach

When Chance arrived at Butler in 2005, the Grizzlies were in disarray. Chance helped turn around the program and the field. Now, the East Park stadium is the gem of JUCO softball. When he first arrived, the field had as many issues as the program.

However, after 18 years, Chance’s disagreements with the college on resource allocation for softball has reached an impasse.

“After 18 years of trying to get the college to support the softball program with even simple things like grass seed or field conditioner, I finally came to the realization that regardless of the success we have on the field or in the classroom, softball will never be valued, respected, or deemed worthy of resources in the eyes of the college,” Chance said. “Therefore, although I have enjoyed my time at Butler and appreciate the opportunity I was given there, I have decided to resign my position as head coach at the end of my contract June 30th.”
    Over 700 wins and two national titles and he can't even get grass seed to keep the field in good shape?

I know women's sports don't generally make money, but that's pretty ridiculous. Butler softball was a joke before Coach Chance arrived. With this, it'll be interesting to see who they're able to find to come into a situation that apparently isn't the least bit ideal and has publicly been blasted by one of their most successful coaches of all time, regardless of sport, for lack of support.

Just another reason I want to see Wilkins taken care of and KB given the resources she needs. She's built something good in Wichita and while you don't expect them to throw men's basketball money at the softball program, it still needs to be taken care of.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

In deference to Doug’s wishes, I have known about this for some time but kept it to myself. The entire thing makes me stew in that this was completely avoidable. It was never about Doug or his salary, it was about the second class treatment his program got from the school even though they were a juggernaut for the last 15 years or so. It reeks of a Title IX issue.
    Last edited by shoxlax; May 27, 2022, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      In deference to Doug’s wishes, I have known about this for some time but kept it to myself. The entire thing makes me stew in that this was completely avoidable. It was never about Doug or his salary, it was about the second class treatment his program got from the school even though they were a juggernaut for the last 15 years or so. It was completely avoidable too.
      Thanks for the info.

Comment

Somebody made a comment on Twitter about Doug’s resignation and how it should upset softball coaches and Kristi liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          In deference to Doug’s wishes, I have known about this for some time but kept it to myself. The entire thing makes me stew in that this was completely avoidable. It was never about Doug or his salary, it was about the second class treatment his program got from the school even though they were a juggernaut for the last 15 years or so. It reeks of a Title IX issue.
          One of the few actual title IX issues.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Doug got his collegiate start as a volunteer assistant to Tim Walton at Wichita State.

Comment

Working...
            X