No announcement yet.

Medical Breakthroughs, Research, and News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dementia and related illnesses are some of the worst in my books. Anything that can strip you of your memories and of who you are is just devastating for those that have it and those that are around them. There's a lot of good research being put into this and there have been some promising possibilities pop up in recent years.

Experimental Alzheimer's Drug Slows Mental Decline By 27% in Trial Hailed as 'Most Encouraging to Date'

Alzheimer’s advocates and researchers look forward to learning more about the data at a meeting in November, including participant safety and the percentage of patients who experienced any brain swelling.

“If those data are consistent with what we saw today regarding efficacy and safety, we strongly support FDA approval and full [Medicare] coverage,” added the AA in a statement.

“Today’s announcement gives patients and their families hope that lecanemab, if approved, can potentially slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease, and provide a clinically meaningful impact on cognition and function,” said Michel Vounatsos, Chief Executive Officer at Biogen.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has agreed that the results of the 18-month trial can serve as the confirmatory study to verify the clinical benefit of lecanemab, setting a date of January 6 to announce its decision.
    It's not a full proof plan and doesn't stop it, but hindering its effects has to be considered a plus and step in the right direction.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Dementia and related illnesses are some of the worst in my books. Anything that can strip you of your memories and of who you are is just devastating for those that have it and those that are around them. There's a lot of good research being put into this and there have been some promising possibilities pop up in recent years.

Experimental Alzheimer's Drug Slows Mental Decline By 27% in Trial Hailed as 'Most Encouraging to Date'

It's not a full proof plan and doesn't stop it, but hindering its effects has to be considered a plus and step in the right direction.
      I am diagnosed with Alzheimer's I want it sped up, I don't want it slowed down. My mother lived 15.5 years after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's before basically just wasting away to skin and bones at the end. And in her case we did withhold treatment after the first 4 years that would supposedly slow it down. I do not want to put my loved ones through that, especially my spouse. It's not what I consider to be living. It can be a long, slow dying process. If they come up with a cure than okay, I'm all in, otherwise give me the speed up the process pill.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I am diagnosed with Alzheimer's I want it sped up, I don't want it slowed down. My mother lived 15.5 years after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's before basically just wasting away to skin and bones at the end. And in her case we did withhold treatment after the first 4 years that would supposedly slow it down. I do not want to put my loved ones through that, especially my spouse. It's not what I consider to be living. It can be a long, slow dying process. If they come up with a cure than okay, I'm all in, otherwise give me the speed up the process pill.
        This is the worst news. I am so sorry. There just aren't words.....

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

This is the worst news. I am so sorry. There just aren't words.....
          I was praying he meant to say “If”…
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I was praying he meant to say “If”…
            I'm sorry, if am diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Runs on my Mother's side of the family. I think her mother may have had but the just called senile dementia or hardening of the arteries back in those days. My mother and 3 of her 4 siblings had it. I have 5 sisters and 4 brothers. My older sister had it at a relatively young age and she died just shy of her 70th birthday 2 years ago.

Most of my siblings will tell you the same things as I did. A cure or preventative would be great. Anything that just slows the progression not so much.

I currently seem to be doing okay. I am about 6 years younger than the age my Mom was diagnosed. However, everytime I have difficulty with my memory, and most commonly these days that involves remembering the name of a person, place or thing, it makes me go Oh Good-man!

Comment

I predict you will have many quality years left but I am so heartbroken on your behalf that you will always be looking over your shoulder. God Bless you and your family. The support for you on this board would be unwavering and meaningful.

That all being true, I, too, am glad for your typo.
              Last edited by shoxlax; October 5, 2022, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Thank God.

Comment

I'm sorry, if am diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Runs on my Mother's side of the family. I think her mother may have had but the just called senile dementia or hardening of the arteries back in those days. My mother and 3 of her 4 siblings had it. I have 5 sisters and 4 brothers. My older sister had it at a relatively young age and she died just shy of her 70th birthday 2 years ago.

Most of my siblings will tell you the same things as I did. A cure or preventative would be great. Anything that just slows the progression not so much.

I currently seem to be doing okay. I am about 6 years younger than the age my Mom was diagnosed. However, everytime I have difficulty with my memory, and most commonly these days that involves remembering the name of a person, place or thing, it makes me go Oh Good-man!
                  You probably know this already, but ...................Possible good news is that heredity is only part of the story, and you don't know for sure the ending. Case in point, My friend's dad died relatively young (and diagnosed totally fit, and healthy earlier that year) at 70, and his dad's mother, three aunts, grandfather, and grandmother all lived 30 years longer. Everyone thought for sure his dad would live just as long. My point isn't that you might die young, but that you don't for sure, your lot in life, and there are many factors besides heredity.

They are getting closer to a cure all the time with these breakthroughs. Maybe, they find a cure soon, or maybe you are the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You probably know this already, but ...................Possible good news is that heredity is only part of the story, and you don't know for sure the ending. Case in point, My friend's dad died relatively young (and diagnosed totally fit, and healthy earlier that year) at 70, and his dad's mother, three aunts, grandfather, and grandmother all lived 30 years longer. Everyone thought for sure his dad would live just as long. My point isn't that you might die young, but that you don't for sure, your lot in life, and there are many factors besides heredity.

They are getting closer to a cure all the time with these breakthroughs. Maybe, they find a cure soon, or maybe you are the exception.
                    I think my genetics are more heavily weighted towards my Dad's side of the family where Alzheimer's is non-existent as far as I know. Doesn't guarantee me anything. My mother was diagnosed and put on medications (Aricept) at age 78 but me and my siblings did not know this until she was 81. She went into a memory care facility at 82 after my father passed away and she died at 93.5. So staying alive was not an issue for my mother. But for the last 9 years of her life she wasn't really living. It was amazing to see how quickly she forgot about my Dad and forgot that she had given birth to 10 children. In fact, in those final 9 years she usually thought I was her father.

I think most people who have gone through Alzheimer's with a loved one aren't that fearful of the disease for themselves, they just are very fearful and opposed to having to put their loved ones through the ordeal of dealing with an extended Alzheimer's care situation and potentially one that could destroy the financial well-being of their spouse. I think about 65% of Alzheimer's patients (although that is 15 year old stat we were given when we started the journey with my Mom) outlive their spouses. That was certainly the case with my Dad and although he was 89 when he died there is not doubt caring for my Mom for that last 4 years of his life took a toll on him.

The one thing I did observe over 11+ years of weekly visits to the Memory Care facility is how the disease affects people varies all over the board.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I predict you will have many quality years left but I am so heartbroken on your behalf that you will always be looking over your shoulder. God Bless you and your family. The support for you on this board would be unwavering and meaningful.

That all being true, I, too, am glad for your typo.
                      Thanks for those sentiments.

Comment

We had/have it on both sides of our family. Won’t get into details, but it’s a terrible disease. My mother had dementia and it was a very rough road. Let’s face it, we’ll all face cognitive decline as we age; it’s part of the process. Sometimes you need to ‘defrag’ your brain. Todays overload of information is taxing. Stay busy, exercise, eat healthy and pray for a cure. About everyone forgets names; I’m a professional name forgetter.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think about 65% of Alzheimer's patients (although that is 15 year old stat we were given when we started the journey with my Mom) outlive their spouses. That was certainly the case with my Dad and although he was 89 when he died there is not doubt caring for my Mom for that last 4 years of his life took a toll on him.
                          No doubt about it.

The statistic I saw recently was something like 79% of same aged couples where one spouse was the designated care giver (same age defined as within 5 years of each other), resulted in the caregiver expiring prior to the spouse for whom they cared. It absolutely takes a toll.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

No doubt about it.

The statistic I saw recently was something like 79% of same aged couples where one spouse was the designated care giver (same age defined as within 5 years of each other), resulted in the caregiver expiring prior to the spouse for whom they cared. It absolutely takes a toll.
                            Same thing happens with other long term diseases. An uncle had a stroke at 65. He lived 16 years without being able to talk, walk, dress, etc. My Aunt lived 15 years, as his care giver, and a year or two prior to her passing, she moved him into a care home, saying that she couldn’t do it anymore. I think Stroke treatment is better today, and I hope that becomes true of Alzheimer’s in the future. I’m sure Parkinson’s and other diseases take a toll too. I’ve heard it said that “growing old isn’t for the faint of heart.” Definitely true.

Comment

Gettin old ain't for sissies."
                              --------Don Lock

Comment

Huge game changing research.

Cure for Baldness Could Be on the Horizon as Hair Cells Are Generated in a Lab

A team of researchers from Japan studying the processes of hair growth has successfully generated hair follicles in cultures. Their in vitro experiments add to the understanding of hair follicle development, which could lead to useful applications for treating hair loss disorders.

Scientists grew the fully mature hair follicles with long shafts using a technique that involves creating skin organoids—tiny, simpler versions of an organ—in a Petri dish.

Due to a lack of understanding the mechanisms for hair follicle development, hair follicle morphogenesis has not been successfully reproduced in a laboratory culture dish, until now.

“Organoids were a promising tool to elucidate the mechanisms in hair follicle morphogenesis in vitro,” said Dr. Tatsuto Kageyama, of Yokohama National University in Japan

Using two types of embryonic cells, the team developed hair shafts with almost 100 percent efficiency. The organoids produced fully mature follicles about 3 mm in length (a little more than 1/100 of an inch) after 23 days of culture.

As growth occurred, the researchers monitored formation and pigmentation, shedding new light on chemicals involved in the process. For instance, adding a drug that boosted melanin, a natural pigment, improved the color.
                                They also believe that this could lead to other areas such as teeth and other organs.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X