As to Wichita State….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As to Wichita State….

Let’s be clear: While the athletic department has numerous problems, the university itself is way healthier than most. New student enrollment this fall may break records, the Innovation Campus and Applied Learning opportunities are growing as we speak and the initiatives of Dr Bardo are moving forward in a way that would make him proud. The athletic department is obviously a very visible piece of the university but shouldn’t depict the school’s overall accomplishments.

Yes basketball helped enrollment to a degree but the school has an identity the education and industry communities recognize as trending up. Some of you don’t see that because you have little interest in the university as a whole (understandable for those with no other ties) or your world revolves around sports (once upon a time so did mine).

Not suggesting the billboards be taken down, but the overshadowing of the school’s accomplishments because of attention drawn to one incompetent leader who brings in a tiny fraction of WSU revenue does make me sad and I can sort of see how it might affect the fight for the precious tuition dollar. Hopefully this ends soon with the resolution most of us want.

I’ve said this before but want to reiterate it in case this gets uglier.

I don't think most have any issue with the university on the educational side, outside of certain little things here and there that are always going to be for some.

The campaign has been solely focused on athletics because that's where Boatright is in charge and failing. And while athletics may be a small part of the overall revenue from the university, it is insanely important to the athletic department. And there are numerous issues there that absolutely need to be addressed and are being ignored by the university as a whole. And we know that athletics is the very visible side of the college and it's not doing anything to help right now. And as athletic revenue and donations drop, it's going to require more money to the university to get diverted to cover expenses.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      Let’s be clear: While the athletic department has numerous problems, the university itself is way healthier than most. New student enrollment this fall may break records, the Innovation Campus and Applied Learning opportunities are growing as we speak and the initiatives of Dr Bardo are moving forward in a way that would make him proud. The athletic department is obviously a very visible piece of the university but shouldn’t depict the school’s overall accomplishments.

Yes basketball helped enrollment to a degree but the school has an identity the education and industry communities recognize as trending up. Some of you don’t see that because you have little interest in the university as a whole (understandable for those with no other ties) or your world revolves around sports (once upon a time so did mine).

Not suggesting the billboards be taken down, but the overshadowing of the school’s accomplishments because of attention drawn to one incompetent leader who brings in a tiny fraction of WSU revenue does make me sad and I can sort of see how it might affect the fight for the precious tuition dollar. Hopefully this ends soon with the resolution most of us want.

I’ve said this before but want to reiterate it in case this gets uglier.
      The reason that we get students from out of state in Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, etc. (during the building of the Innovation Campus) has largely been because of the reputation of our basketball program. These kids rarely hear about the university except through athletics. Sometimes these students have family who have been from Wichita, but not often. Wichita is a large city with a reputation in Kansas, but not in other states, and it isn't a city mentioned often in Dallas, Denver, St. Louis, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

The reason that we get students from Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, etc. (during the building of the Innovation Campus) has largely been because of the reputation of our basketball program. These kids rarely hear about the university except through athletics.
        The discounted tuition doesn't hurt. I believe that includes at least portions of OK, TX, CO, MO. AR, NE, IA and IL that can qualify of in-state pricing.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

The discounted tuition doesn't hurt. I believe that includes at least portions of OK, TX, CO, MO. AR, NE, IA and IL that can qualify of in-state pricing.
          I agree but they have to hear about the city before the city before they know we have a university and before they find out about the discounted tuition.

Comment

I agree but they have to hear about the city before the city before they know we have a university and before they find out about the discounted tuition.
            WSU aggressively targets these areas outside of sports. I get what you're saying and sports help in a huge way with exposure, but there are always avenues of getting your name out to prospective students outside of it. There were a number of small colleges outside of KS that only learned of because of targeted ads to my HS that had zero to do with sports.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

WSU aggressively targets these areas outside of sports. I get what you're saying and sports help in a huge way with exposure, but there are always avenues of getting your name out to prospective students outside of it. There were a number of small colleges outside of KS that only learned of because of targeted ads to my HS that had zero to do with sports.
              They do target those areas. But I will say that I've traveled the coasts some, and also the Southeast in the past 5-10 years. The people I meet know Wichita from Boeing first. Then they know the university from the recent success of our basketball team. They don't know that we are the "Air Capitol". They have never have heard of NIAR, or the Innovation Campus, and haven't known President Bardo.

When I used to go to St. Louis for the basketball Tournament, I met people from Tennessee, Illinois, Missouri, and other area states who were attending the tournament because they liked basketball. They knew about our basketball team first, and nothing else about Wichita. To not realize the impact of our basketball team to the reputation of Wichita, and the university is closing off one's mind to what people see and hear on national television, and ESPN.

Comment

The reason that we get students from out of state in Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, etc. (during the building of the Innovation Campus) has largely been because of the reputation of our basketball program. These kids rarely hear about the university except through athletics. Sometimes these students have family who have been from Wichita, but not often. Wichita is a large city with a reputation in Kansas, but not in other states, and it isn't a city mentioned often in Dallas, Denver, St. Louis, etc.
                False, the reduced tuition is the primary reason. You would not believe the dedicated recruiters we have in those cities that bust their ass with prospective students.

Comment

When I used to go to St. Louis for the basketball Tournament, I met people from Tennessee, Illinois, Missouri, and other area states who were attending the tournament because they liked basketball. They knew about our basketball team first, and nothing else about Wichita. To not realize the impact of our basketball team to the reputation of Wichita, and the university is closing off one's mind to what people see and hear on national television, and ESPN.
                  Here you're talking about basketball fans specifically and not the average HS student. The average student is going to hear more about us from advisors and targeted mailings and such more than any athletics, even if we're good. Nobody is diminishing the importance of basketball being relevant and the positive and free publicity that comes with it, but most students don't care either way and the focused academic efforts along with the in-state tuition that is offered plays a much bigger role in those kids.

Also, in the case of IL, it's often cheaper to leave the state for higher education than to stay home.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I lived in Joplin, OKC area, and Topeka as a kid and had never heard of WSU prior to moving to Wichita. I definitely wouldn't have considered WSU if I lived out of state. Not saying the reduced tuition doesn't work but it's success has definitely benefitted by the success of our basketball program.
                    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

I have always told people that without the vision of Dr Bardo for an Innovation campus and without the energy generated by the success of the basketball program the success of the Innovaton campus would not be enjoying the success that it does. I believe it was Dr Bardo that said the athletic department is the front porch of our university. He recognized how important a part and an integral part that athletics plays to our university. I do miss that man.

Comment

Sports are effectively the marketing department for a D1 school.

Comment

I read the topic and thought someone purchased and moved the Oakland franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            I read the topic and thought someone purchased and moved the Oakland franchise.
                            Are they still trying to get a new stadium Or did they get that dealt with?
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Are they still trying to get a new stadium Or did they get that dealt with?
                              They have cleared a few minor hurdles in getting a stadium plan passed but they still need some council approvals to get over before being able to move forward. I don't think they will be able to come to terms with the City on a Development agreement (they are way off on some key points). My guess is they will eventually make the move to Vegas.

They had 2,488 fans at one of their games earlier this season. Yikes!!

Comment

Working...
                              X