NFL hammers Saints for bounties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL hammers Saints for bounties

NFL suspends coach for year, suspends GM, assistant coaches, levies fines and loses 2nd round picks in 2012 and 2013 for running a "bounty bonus" program.

Details of an NFL investigation released at the beginning on March reported that the Saints' bounty program gave thousands of dollars in payoffs to players for hits that knocked targeted opponents out of games. The NFL said the amounts reached their height in 2009, the season the Saints won the Super Bowl.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718136/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-banned-one-year-bounties

Damn. I didn't figure it would be that bad.

Comment

Cue the Dan Hawkins: "It's Division 1 football!!!" clip.

This is nanny-state, political correctness run amok.

I hope there's some kind of appeal, this is ridiculous.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
        Cue the Dan Hawkins: "It's Division 1 football!!!" clip.

I hope there's some kind of appeal, this is ridiculous.
        Not quite sure I follow?

Comment

Dan Hawkins called out parents for complaining about extra practices, basically their kids were soft.

That's the same feeling I get from this. It just seems like Goodell overreacts to hard-nose, aggressive football.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

NFL laid down the law
            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Uhhhh, a nfl team was paying it players to take cheap shots and hurt oPposing players. I think they got off lightly.

Comment

Let's play devil's advocate.

Since day one, Roger Goodell has been all about player safety. That's his thing. Whether's it's concussion's, illegal shots, etc, Goodell hasn't been hypocritical of his stance and this bounty system is definitely going against everything Goodell stands for.

Roger's statement:

"We are all accountable and responsible for player health and safety and the integrity of the game," Goodell said in a statement announcing the punishments. "We will not tolerate conduct or a culture that undermines those priorities. No one is above the game or the rules that govern it. Respect for the game and the people who participate in it will not be compromised.

"A combination of elements made this matter particularly unusual and egregious," Goodell said. "When there is targeting of players for injury and cash rewards over a three-year period, the involvement of the coaching staff, and three years of denials and willful disrespect of the rules, a strong and lasting message must be sent that such conduct is totally unacceptable and has no place in the game."
                The NFL had inquiries about the bounty system to the Saints twice and both times, Peyton denied it.....knowingly. It's one thing to commit the crime but it's another thing to lie AND try to cover it up. Just ask Michael Vick who lied to Goodell.

In jobs, sometimes you can go against the rules and not get fired. You may get written up or something. But if you lie and try to cover it up, chances are you'll get fired. So Peyton should just count his blessings he's not fired and let go without a chance to work in the NFL.

One can make the argument that everybody does it. Maybe so, but if you get caught, you're the only who gets in trouble. Everyday somebody in this world speeds, does drugs, buys prostitutes, whatever. The ones who get caught though will get in trouble.

Don't blame the NFL. Blame the snitch and the Saints front office. I really think if there wasn't a cover up and total lies and denial this thing would have been less harsh.
                ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
                www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                  Maybe, but I suspect the 20 concussion-related lawsuits filed against the NFL involving hundreds of former players is maybe playing a significant role in all of this.

Comment

This looks the the NFL version of the NCAA death penality handled down to SMU.

Comment

wwooooww

incredible things

Comment

The only thing I don't agree with is the monetary punishment. Should be millions. Gregg should be gone for good, along with Vilma.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by EB 22 View Post
                          Let's play devil's advocate.

Since day one, Roger Goodell has been all about player safety. That's his thing. Whether's it's concussion's, illegal shots, etc, Goodell hasn't been hypocritical of his stance and this bounty system is definitely going against everything Goodell stands for.

This may be well and true, but I think it's more financially driven than anything. Someone alluded to lawsuits...I agree.

Chew on this: If the league is truly concerned about player safety, concussions, etc., then why are they pushing so hard for 18 games?

Comment

Good hard football is one thing. Providing monetary incentives to purposefully injure players and perhaps end their careers is unexceptable in any sport.

Applying the death penalty is legit in my book.

Comment

Now there's audio.

Before final game, Gregg Williams urged Saints to injure 49ers

Comment

Working...
                              X