Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics

Figured I would start a thread to discuss the games outside of the political forum. Outside of all of the Chinese BS I am trying to route for the US athletes.

Excited to watch Shaun White go for another medal in about 30 minutes. Chloe Kim is an absolute beast on the women's snowboarding side and is so far ahead of the competition it is ridiculous. US ski team has been a big disappointment so far.

Hated to see Shaun White’s last run. I wish that ride could just keep going. Getting old sucks, man—even when it happens to someone else. He is leaving quite a wake in snowboarding though, good for him.

I’m also a huge Mikaela Shiffrin fan because 1) I love skiing, and 2) I’m a dirty old man. It’s been a tough Olympics for her and the rest of the ski team.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I wish I had more details, but there is a female athlete who won gold, is an American citizen (I believe) but is representing China (mother was Chinese I believe). Still, WHO DOES THAT in this day and age? Anyone hear a story, or is that being squashed?

Also, the Chinese hockey team seems to be made up of a lot of Americans.....perhaps American plumbers from the looks of them. If the reasons were covered during the Americans blistering today, I missed it.

The Biathlon team events were good competitions. So were the cross country sprints where the US women won their first ever medal finishing 3rd and 4th.

She's fantastic and head and shoulders above the rest of the world, but I've seen all I need to see of Chloe Kim for one lifetime.

No Super G medal for Shiffrin today but at least she finished the course for the first time. I don't believe the Super G is something she normally does but I could be wrong.

The camera views from the top of the alpine skiing sites are, in a word, spectacular.

Comment

The super G is not Shiffrin’s thing, and that’s saying it kindly. No surprise she didn’t medal.

The US/Chinese Olympian the good Doc is talking about is Eileen Gu. And yeah, WTF? I don’t know if the story is being squashed, as even I have seen some stories about her. But I still don’t get it.

Name to watch in US cross country skiing: Jessie Diggins.
        Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; February 10, 2022, 10:26 PM. Reason: Grammar
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

From USA Today:

Of the 22 players who dressed for China in its 8-0 loss to the U.S. at National Indoor Stadium on Thursday, 17 were either born or raised in the United States or Canada. International Ice Hockey Federation bylaws stipulate that a person can represent a country in the Olympics if they’ve lived there for two years and played for the national team.

Comment

Pretty cool moment when interviewing Shaun White after his 4th place finish and retirement. His tears, his emotions and his family and friends. Really cool moment for a guy that pretty much introduced the sport to the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Pretty cool moment when interviewing Shaun White after his 4th place finish and retirement. His tears, his emotions and his family and friends. Really cool moment for a guy that pretty much introduced the sport to the Olympics.
              Man I was really hoping he would sneak in at least a bronze. But alas, he has blazed the path and turned it over to the youngins who have taken the path he blazed and absolutely torched it with the new moves and air they can get. Fourth was a good showing for him. James and the A Nirano kid from Japan along with several others are taking the halfpipe to a whole other level. Shaun seems like he really gets it and appreciates all that snowboarding has given him.

Comment

I've watched exactly zero Olympics this year. It has nothing to do with politics, steel factory-turned ski jump course, trans athlete or even turncoats competing for other countries. I just can't seem to get engaged with curling, biathlons, or halfpipes.

Now give me icedancing...
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Biathlete Dorothea Wierer, Italy.

Style and sport.

That is all.

Comment

Style and sport.

That is all.
                    Indeed...there is something about those Italian women.

Comment

Style and sport.

That is all.
                      She’s welcome to eat crackers in my bed anytime… and definitely a sight for sore eyes.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                        The US/Chinese Olympian the good Doc is talking about is Eileen Gu. And yeah, WTF? I don’t know if the story is being squashed, as even I have seen some stories about her. But I still don’t get it.
                        Found a little more after digging. I am going to assume that NBC has been told to not talk about it.

Best as I can tell from digging, Eileen spent about 25% of her youth in Beijing with her mom. She speaks fluent Mandarin. (Watch the video if you don't believe me). But her English is without flaw as well.

I think it's pretty clear she's brilliant (near perfect SAT to get into Stanford for starters). She's extremely well spoken. And she reportedly signed a bunch of endorsement deals totaling $25 MILLION with the Chinese. She completely dodges the question of citizenship and I mean completely.

She IS the NBA. The money is just too big to turn down, no matter how bad a person it may turn you into.

And I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd do it. $25 MIL is heck of a chunk of change.

Why is Eileen Gu Representing China? One word: Money | by Jamie Turing | Feb, 2022 | Medium

Comment

BIG fan of Dutch speed skating. They (she) is so talented. I introduce to you Jutta Leerdam...

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              BIG fan of Dutch speed skating. They (she) is so talented. I introduce to you Jutta Leerdam...

Married men look away or have an excuse in your back pocket

Comment

Working...
                              X