General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN - Tanginikya welcomes baby zebra

Last week, Tanganyika Wildlife Park welcomed its latest newcomer, a baby zebra.

Specifically, a Grevy’s zebra. Tanganikya said this addition marks a significant milestone for their conservation efforts and for preserving this endangered species.

Grevy’s zebras are the largest and most endangered of the three zebra species, with fewer than 3,000 individuals remaining in their wild habitats of northern Kenya and southern Ethiopia.

Tanginikya said the foal is already showing signs of strong health, staying close to its mother and nursing.
    Too stinking cute
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - It's a deal: Wichita's Spirit AeroSystems confirms agreement for reacquisition by Boeing

The Boeing Co. and Spirit AeroSystems confirmed late Sunday night an agreement in which the global planemaking giant will reacquire the company it spun off 19 years ago when its commercial programs left Wichita. The purchase with Boeing stock is worth roughly $4.7 billion.

The companies said Boeing will pay $37.25 per share of Spirit stock to bring Spirit, its largest supplier, back under the Boeing name in an attempt to improve manufacturing processes that have caused safety concerns in the 737 Max program and publicly plagued both companies.

As part of the deal, French planemaker Airbus — Boeing's rival that has consistently delivered more commercial aircraft in the decade — has agreed to purchase Spirit facilities in North Carolina, Northern Ireland, Morocco and France, where Airbus components are made. Airbus said Spirit would pay $559 million before final terms because Airbus is taking over portions of the company that have lost money consistently.
      Official numbers.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'll be interested what the 2nd business will be. But I like having something else around the arena.

MSN - Once home to a carriage factory, this 1888 downtown Wichita building is getting new life

Marketer-turned-downtown-investor Bruce Rowley and some business partners are renovating another building in the city’s core, this time to the north of Intrust Bank Arena, and it’s another one with some fun history.

The group purchased the approximately 10,000-square-foot building at 114 N. St. Francis.

“It is right at the end of Gallery Alley,” Rowley said.

That was part of the attraction to the building, much of which had either been warehouse space or empty for years. The entrance to Gallery Alley is off of Douglas just down from the Old Mill Tasty Shop across from Naftzger Park.

It’s a bustling part of downtown, and Rowley and his partners plan two house-sized apartments on top of the building and space for two businesses below, one of which is already there.
        Nerds unite!

“Just in the few short months we’ve been there, we have new customers,” Hunter said. “We get people all the time now from out of town that we didn’t have before.”

The business, which he called a geek store and tavern with food and drinks, started in 1994 as Agents of Comics.

Today, it has new and vintage comics, cards, hobby supplies, a variety of games for sale and use for free at the business, drinks, sandwiches and what Hunter called “Wichita’s OKest pizza.”

The move fulfills a dream for him.

“I just always as a kid wanted to run a business downtown.”
        It's good to see someone take a chance and be rewarded. I've never personally been a comic book guy, but it sounds like a pretty decent store in a very centralized location. I hope he has years of success.

It's also interesting that they've chosen to go with two very large apartments (3 bed, 2 bath each) instead of breaking the space up into 4,6, or 8. These apartments will be larger than a lot of homes as the smaller of the two will be 1650 square feet.

I like the overall vision and doing something a little different.

They also paved the parking lot which was apparently just a big dirt lot that was an absolute mess.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Really cool they found some floorboards with former employees’ signatures from 1907!!!

Comment

• KSN - Wichita Wind Surge close to reaching millionth fan

The Wichita Wind Surge is close to reaching its millionth fan at the ballpark.

According to the organization, they will reach the goal later this month. So far, 967,155 fans have attended regular season games since 2021.

The fan who is the millionth will be honored with the following:
            • Personalized “#1M” Wind Surge Jersey
            • 2024 Team Autographed Bat
            • $200 team store credit
            • One (1) of each Promotional Giveaway Item from the 2024 Season
              • Wind Surge Experience Package on a TBD date during the 2024 season which includes:
            • Four (4) Fidelity Club Seats
            • On-Field Photo with a Wind Surge Player (subject to availability)
            • One-Half Inning in the Radio Booth with Tim Grubbs
            • Opportunity to be the “Fireworks Starter” and blast off the Post-Game Fireworks Spectacular on the field (subject to date)
            • Opportunity to ride with Windy when he makes his Pre-Game Entrance

The Wind Surge has attracted 182,760 fans over 40 home contests this season, an average of 4,465 fans per game.
            Do they still do the Turbo Tubs nights? Still my favorite name that they've used.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              KSN - Wichita Wind Surge close to reaching millionth fan

Do they still do the Turbo Tubs nights? Still my favorite name that they've used.
              Yes, and also the Tumba Vacas. They did a Wranglers throwback last Saturday.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• I like any of their names other than the Wind Surge.
                Go Shocks!

Comment

• WBJ - KansasCOM to build biomedical laboratory enhancing student research

The Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine plans to build a biomedical laboratory inside its facility so its students can pursue additional types of research.

The biomedical laboratory is intended to expand research options at KansasCOM by serving as a wet lab facility for research activities in fields like microbiology, genetics and cellular biology, offering more hands-on research opportunities for students.

“It just really opens up more opportunities for our students, who have different varied interests, to really get their hands into something and to explore science and medicine and how they can really move the population forward to be healthier,” said Molly Fox, the vice president of institutional advancement at the Kansas Health Science Center.

The biomedical laboratory, with estimated funding costs of $588,500, will be built in a third-floor classroom created with the future lab in mind.

“The building was designed with the forward thinking that this is something that we could finish off in the future,” Fox said. “And so because it's a wet lab, it does have a sink in it. Essentially, it has drains in the floor. And so any kinds of things that we need to do that way would already be set up.”
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• The southeast expansion is beginning...

WBJ - Wichita restaurant chain Chick N Max targets Charlotte for up to 10 locations

A Wichita fast-casual restaurant chain built around chicken is setting its sights on Charlotte for future expansion.

Chick N Max, which ranked as Wichita's fastest-growing company by the WBJ, wants to put eight to 10 restaurants in the Charlotte market as part of a larger expansion plan to grow its presence in the Southeast.

Chick N Max says it has entered into a strategic partnership with an undisclosed local investment group that will purchase the real estate for all future restaurants and cover construction costs. Local franchisees and specific locations have not yet been identified.
                    It'll be interesting if they can grab a foothold and grow in the southeast. Sounds like they want to be fairly aggressive.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This could be fairly big if it happens.

KSN - Sen. Moran invites Lockheed Martin back to Wichita amid Boeing/Spirit acquisition

Earlier this week, Boeing announced that they are buying Spirit AeroSystems, one of the largest employers in the city, for $4.7 billion ($37.25 per share). Senator Jerry Moran, R-Kan., says Lockheed Martin is looking to Kansas to expand.

Lockheed Martin is the largest aerospace and defense contractor in the country and a competitor of Boeing. Last fall, the company partnered with Perfekta, a subsidiary of Cadence Aerospace, for a trade deal.

Sen. Moran says that even though Boeing is buying Spirit, he hopes Lockheed can come to Wichita to diversify the aerospace industry. Moran thinks aerospace companies should continue to invest in Kansas.
                      Even a small Lockheed facility and the work it would bring could be good for Wichita. Especially if Boeing ****s around with things and moves some of the defense work that Spirit has. I'd like our diversification to be greater than just within the aerospace industry, but it's good there too.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Tattoo expo coming to Wichita in October

Century II Expo Hall is hosting the Emerald City Tattoo Expo.

The event takes place Oct. 25-27, and tickets are already on sale. The expo will feature live tattooing sessions, hair and piercing services, and activities for all ages.

The event is geared toward tattoo enthusiasts and their families, with events for children as well. Kids can participate in trick-or-treating and costume contests and receive temporary tattoos.
                        Fun for the whole family.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Tanganyika taking a risk.

WBJ - Tanganyika Wildlife Park shifts to all-inclusive business model

Goddard's Tanganyika Wildlife Park has announced plans to significantly change its business model — and it could be a gamble, the park's director said.

The change involves moving away from a zoo-type experience with separate ticketing for admission, activities and food and drinks to an all-inclusive ticket experience, which will include unlimited food and beverage allotments, complimentary breakfast for overnight stays and limited alcohol coverage to create more of a resort destination experience.

"I think when most people think of zoos, you just go and look at animals and maybe sometimes there's an opportunity to feed animals or do something," director Matt Fouts said. "Over the last 16 years, with all of the animal feedings that we offer and all the behind-the-scenes and special experiences that we offer, there is nothing like it in the United States, and so we're just going to lean into that a lot further and really focus on people that are looking for that kind of experience to come and enjoy with their families."

To provide the resort feel at the park, Fouts said his team will consistently work on improving landscaping and aesthetics. He is also looking to add more cabanas and shaded seating areas in and around the park.

"It will be almost more like checking into a hotel than it would almost any attraction," Fout said. "Right where you come in, there's a window and you buy your ticket. You'll come in and get checked in, someone is going to get you set up for the day and then you'll head into the park. We'll serve breakfast in the morning, and then you start to go and enjoy the park according to your bookings of experiences."
                          $150 a ticket and he hopes this new direction increases tourism even though it will cut into attendance as a whole. They hope the increase makes up for it. I've already seen a lot of locals talk of their disappointment as previous price increases had limited their ability to visit.

I don't know what the market is for zoo tourism, but they're wanting to become a national destination with this move and the $1M in upgrades/renovations they're planning and services they'll be adding. I suppose if this is intriguing to someone that the thought of coming in to Tanganyika and then still being able to hit up SCZ could be worthwhile.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                          X