No announcement yet.

Mega mystery company coming to Kansas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega mystery company coming to Kansas?

Any guesses?

Kansas? Kansas? If it isn't Wichita, stick a fork in us... we're done.

Comment

I'm sure the location is up around KC. Either way, it is an intriguing opportunity assuming everything is legit. Kansas could use a huge investment like that and apparently they'd be offering a number of very solid jobs.

The one aspect that could make the Wichita area more attractive would be the long history of manufacturing around here. The growth potential something like this could offer to an area is impressive and the development that would most likely pop up near such a facility could be beneficial.

With that said, I have my doubts Kansas is chosen. Though I don't know what state we're competing with for this either. But this could be a huge win for Kansas if it works out.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

One of the replies to the original tweet mentioned a battery plant. Looks like the company he mentioned just announced a location in Michigan and that they would be opening another one someplace else. The guy thinks it could be it because of the similarities in the number of jobs and laws recently passed.
        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Is it a modern Wichitans standard response to these things not to be hopeful but pessimistic?

Long gone are the days of Wichita Boosertism and touting Wichita as the Peerless Princess of the Plains and stating confidently Watch Wichita Win.

The last great economic boom in Wichita was the 40s and 50s with WWII and it's aftereffects being felt by way of manufacturing jobs and an influx of defense spending and people to meet those needs.

We still hang our hat on a timeframe that's coming up on 80 years ago. Wichita - The Air Captial. More like, Wichita - The Headwind City.

I will stick to this - the hope for Wichita and it's future is the WSU Innovation Campus, the genius of John Tomblin at NAIR, and the affiliated momentum those two have brought the region. If there is any hope to Wichita succeeding economically in the future it will be built on these foundations. If this project gets built in Kansas, and chooses to locate in the KC area, that would be a monumental slap in the face to the "advanced manufacturing" push in and around Wichita, and the thousands of high-skill laborers in the Wichita area that are underemployed due to layoffs in the Aviation industry.

Comment

1) I'd like to know the last time we had a company come to Wichita bringing a minimum of 500 legit jobs.

2) I'd like to know the net number of occurrences of 500+ job announcements coming and leaving Wichita over the last 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
              One of the replies to the original tweet mentioned a battery plant. Looks like the company he mentioned just announced a location in Michigan and that they would be opening another one someplace else. The guy thinks it could be it because of the similarities in the number of jobs and laws recently passed.
              When did Excide leave emporia?

Also, Emporia is a huge manufacturing center for the size of the town. Camoplast/Camso/Michelin, Excide, Detroit, Hopkins and more. Rich history of manufacturing. Also the biggest importer of illegal immigrants in Kansas, but that’s a discussion for another day.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

My question is, can the Wichita area provide the 4k new workers, plus the support businesses and jobs that will result? (Suppliers, retail, etc.) That could cause a disruption in the other industries in town, namely aerospace, as many of those workers migrate. If it results in a surge of people moving here to fill those jobs, it could also drive the housing market up again.

I have a feeling it might be the KC area by default.

Comment

An interesting article from the 19th of this month about this that mentions how many mega-projects the state has lost out on.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    My question is, can the Wichita area provide the 4k new workers, plus the support businesses and jobs that will result? (Suppliers, retail, etc.) That could cause a disruption in the other industries in town, namely aerospace, as many of those workers migrate. If it results in a surge of people moving here to fill those jobs, it could also drive the housing market up again.

I have a feeling it might be the KC area by default.
                    I think Wichita's manufacturing sector is due for some wage inflation. The blue collar workers have been losing buying power for 30+ years. Then when Boeing left it only accelerated. We need more competition for skilled labor in this town IMO. 4k would create a nice little pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                      Looks like there was an article earlier in the week by the KC Star similar to what KAKE was reporting on - https://www.kansascity.com/news/poli...257556258.html - and I think I remember seeing them running the same story on the Eagle web site.

But state officials said they can’t give lawmakers or the public details because they signed non-disclosure agreements with the mystery company. The lack of transparency, paired with Kansas’ history of failed and secretive incentive programs, has left some lawmakers skeptical.

Experts say the numbers point to a new electric vehicle, battery or microchip plant. Those industries are all expanding domestic footprints and their factories cost in the billions, said Ron Starner, a writer and editor at Site Selection magazine, which tracks the expansion and relocation of U.S. companies.
                      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

I want to say it's worth the risk. Do what you need to do to land something like this.

Especially if it lands in the 316.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Something like this would be so huge for this town. But we won't get it. We never do.

Comment

I know that El Dorado has a significant amount of land available (one of the largest contiguous pieces in the State), significant amount of water and has been pushing for something like this for some time now. They’ve done studies on workforce availability, educational infrastructure, travel, transportation, etc. They we’re in the running for a large Toyota factory a few years back. Never know what might happen if the region pulls together.

Comment

Hopeful this was a marketing push by the Gov and Mayor in December as a part of the site-search for a microchip plant.

Could also be paired with grant funding being sought by a WSU consortium to help expand Integra in the area.

https://www.ksn.com/news/business/ai...onomic-future/

Comment

Working...
                              X