The Athletic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Athletic

The owners announced the site is being bought by the New York Times Company. From what I've seen it's been pretty good about not going full-ESPN with regards to social justice issues. I fear that's going to change with new ownership. NYT can't help themselves.

The Athletic lost $55M in 2021 with $65M in revenue. That's absurd. I don't know how you justify spending $550M on this acquisition let alone doing it at all. If all these sportswriters were at newspapers that were failing, why would hiring all of them make anything better? If they weren't reading it before, they're not reading it now.

It hasn't gone full ESPN but it does have plenty of seeds in that area and that will only continue to grow as it gets acquired by NYT.

Meanwhile, outlets like Barstool and Outkick are doing just fine. They're not looking for buyers because they don't need to. They're actually profitable.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Just canceled my subscription. Oh well.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Most of these media outlets make big 'investments' on the come. These are not business people. They think if they pay a name journo $100k, eg, it will translate into $120k in new subscribers. Wrong. Outkick and the likes do it properly. You start small and gain your base revenue model, then you expand with profits, (our manageble loans that can be repaid with profits) and bring on talent to expand. How in the hell do you have losses twice as high as revenues? The Athletic is not that old. The NYT (more stupidity) buys it? Why? What value do they have, other than just more subjects to propagate with and another circular 'source' with which to feign legitimacy to their BS narratives.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

When they hire a writer to cover a single pro team (Alex Lewis for the Royals, some other guy for the Chiefs), big names like Seth Davis (he'll be the first to go political under new ownership) and guys like C.J. Moore to do a relatively small region of college basketball teams, you can see the bloat. That is what made them worthy of a subscription, but clearly isn't sustainable if profit is the eventual motive.

It's sad, but I don't expect I'll be renewing my subscription in August.

Comment

Like ESPN The Magazine.

Comment

Working...
            X