The old Wichita Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old Wichita Forum

I’m working on a project surrounded around the Wichita Forum, which was the predecessor to Century II (and Intrust) as a downtown venue.

I really need your help. I know there are some old timers on this board. If anyone remembers going to an event there or know an even older old timer that went to a basketball game at the Forum, could you please reach out to me.

Whoever helps me will be rewarded once my project is complete.

Hailing WstateU
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Unfortunately, ole Ross and I were "playmakers" at Henrion Hall...

shoxlax, if you haven't done this already, make sure and check out the WSU Library for photos and information... great source of information. I'm excited to learn more about your project.

P.S. What in the heck is that at the bottom of the 4th photo?
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Such a neat building. Really a shame it isn't around any more.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          But you got photos and "info", I know you do!

Comment

[/IMG2]
            Help me out here ... what intersection am I looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Good question... that's a cool old gas station in the lower left. If someone knows the address, I'll see if there's a better photo somewhere. As I mentioned before, the WSU Library is a great source of historical information.

Comment

But you got photos and "info", I know you do!

Comment

I believe that Forum was on the SW corner of Water and English. That intersection no longer exists as I think that would be right around where Expo Hall currently sits on the south side of Century II. These days South Water street dead ends at Waterman (on the South End of the Century II/Expo Hall complex).
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 13, 2021, 10:56 AM.

Comment

shoxlax, if you haven't done this already, make sure and check out the WSU Library for photos and information... great source of information. I'm excited to learn more about your project.

P.S. What in the heck is that at the bottom of the 4th photo?

I never went to any events at the Forum, so I don't have any stories to share of it. But here's a site with some of the same pictures and descriptions (and has a search in case one is looking for old pictures from Wichita's history) - http://www.wichitaphotos.org/searchr...txtinput=forum

The one with the thing on the stage (my guess is a cow) is on the 2nd page and has a description of - "Interior of the Forum at 231 South Water Street. A large audience is attending what appears to be a butchering demonstration. Probably part of an exposition on agricultural and domestic arts. Booths on the perimeter of the arena display products such as home appliances and foods."

This page has only one picture of the forum but has some good history of the place - http://www.historicpreservationallia...the_forum.html

Interior of the Forum at 231 South Water Street. A large audience is attending what appears to be a butchering demonstration. Probably part of an exposition on agricultural and domestic arts. Booths on the perimeter of the arena display products such as home appliances and foods. Interior of the Forum at 231 South Water Street. A large audience is attending what appears to be a butchering demonstration. Probably part of an exposition on agricultural and domestic arts. Booths on the perimeter of the arena display products such as home appliances and foods.
                    Last edited by Kung Wu; October 13, 2021, 04:14 PM.
                    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

I have all the images shown above and many more…but thanks for the support. I am excited you guys are interested. My research on events and other publicly available information is done. Now I am trying to put together some personal stories with interviews and photographs and tie them into the events of the nation at the time. Anybody in their late 70s or early 80s that are from Wichita probably went to an event there, either in the main arena or Arcadia theater. That is who I am interested in interviewing.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        Such a neat building. Really a shame it isn't around any more.
                        If it was, we could have the "Save the Forum" debate instead of "Save Century II".

Comment

I remember going to the Sport, Boat & Travel show, the Circus, the Harlem Globe Trotters, the Wichita Homeshow, Starbird Rod & Custom Show and I saw the Floyd Patterson / Ingemar Johansson fight on closed circuit TV. (Don't remember which of the three fights it was though, I was about 10 years old at the time)
                          Last edited by JJClamdip; October 13, 2021, 02:16 PM.
                          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

I recall attending a Wichita Vickers game in the forum when I was very young. But my memory of that is very sketchy. Those kind of things were a rare treat as the family budget just did not allow for much entertainment you had to pay for. I'm thinking maybe one of my uncles may have taken me to that game.

Comment

That's William and Water. The Forum was located in the 200 block of S Water.
                              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                              X