Wichita Crime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita Crime

Ramsay was recently interviewed for Chief of Police for Austin, Texas. Why would they hire him?

Wichita crime rate has skyrocketed.
    Interactive chart of the Wichita, Kansas violent crime rate and statistics by year from 1999 to 2018. In the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, violent crime statistics are composed of four offenses: murder/homicide and nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses which involve force or threat of force.

Wichita ranked as 54th out of 59 safest large cities
    Rye, NY, was the safest small city in the United States. Read our in-depth analysis of the safest small, midsize, and large cities in America.

Why? A lot of cities ranked better than Wichita also have gangs, unemployment, lower socio-economic neighborhoods. Does Wichita have enough Police Officers? Is that even the answer? Are the city leaders doing anything to address crime?

Curious to the local’s feedback.

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    Ramsay was recently interviewed for Chief of Police for Austin, Texas. Why would they hire him?

Wichita crime rate has skyrocketed.
    https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/u...ate-statistics

Wichita ranked as 54th out of 59 safest large cities
    https://advisorsmith.com/data/safest...america/#large

Why? A lot of cities ranked better than Wichita also have gangs, unemployment, lower socio-economic neighborhoods. Does Wichita have enough Police Officers? Is that even the answer? Are the city leaders doing anything to address crime?
    https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...244714782.html

Curious to the local’s feedback.
    This is an easy answer. We’ve had very little civil unrest the last two years and Ramsay’s open communication with community leaders have been a key reason why. You can have all the low crime stats you want but if your city is a powder keg due to high visibility incidents, you ain’t going to be a hot commodity.

That’s just the way the world works these days. Don’t you watch Chicago PD?
    Last edited by shoxlax; October 5, 2021, 04:37 PM.

Comment

The role of the police chief is not to reduce crime rates or address socioeconomic issues. It is to enforce the laws of the city equally with the minimal amount of force and corruption.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Chicago. Damn. Friday in broad daylight, two blocks off Michigan Avenue, a notably ritzy part of town, my wife and I were very nearly victims of a crime. Thankfully an alert restaurant owner stopped it before it got started.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          Chicago. Damn. Friday in broad daylight, two blocks off Michigan Avenue, a notably ritzy part of town, my wife and I were very nearly victims of a crime. Thankfully an alert restaurant owner stopped it before it got started.
          Keep voting Democratic.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
            That should come as no surprise.

Decriminalizing gang bangers, Soros prosecutor Kim Foxx declines to charge five arrested in fatal gang shootout, citing ‘mutual combatants’

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That should come as no surprise.

Decriminalizing gang bangers, Soros prosecutor Kim Foxx declines to charge five arrested in fatal gang shootout, citing ‘mutual combatants’

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...ombatants.html
              Thats interesting…
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                The role of the police chief is not to reduce crime rates or address socioeconomic issues. It is to enforce the laws of the city equally with the minimal amount of force and corruption.
                Interesting concept. Not sure if I agree. William Bratton showed his leadership and had positive results in lowering the crime rate especially in Boston and NYC.

Which city leader is responsible then if not the police chief? Isn’t it his/her responsibility to develop strategic plans and concepts on lowering crime and implementing that plan? Is he doing that? Is he getting the financial support needed?

To your point, who then IS responsible to reduce crime in Wichita?

Read the HBR case study on William Bratton and Tipping Point Leadership.
                How can you catapult your organization to high performance when time and money are scarce? Police chief Bill Bratton has pulled that off again and again. Here’s what it takes.

Comment

Interesting concept. Not sure if I agree. William Bratton showed his leadership and had positive results in lowering the crime rate especially in Boston and NYC.

Which city leader is responsible then if not the police chief? Isn’t it his/her responsibility to develop strategic plans and concepts on lowering crime and implementing that plan? Is he doing that? Is he getting the financial support needed?

To your point, who then IS responsible to reduce crime in Wichita?

Read the HBR case study on William Bratton and Tipping Point Leadership.
                  How can you catapult your organization to high performance when time and money are scarce? Police chief Bill Bratton has pulled that off again and again. Here’s what it takes.

It’s the responsibility of the community. If you are turning a blind eye to your community and blaming an appointed official for not making things better, then you’re part of the problem.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

It’s the responsibility of the community. If you are turning a blind eye to your community and blaming an appointed official for not making things better, then you’re part of the problem.
                    Are you sure you mean that?
                    So… it’s the fault of ALL Wichitans that the city is crime infested??? It takes a Village to place the blame?
                    What have you done then to lower the crime rate in Wichita or are you part of the problem? Does that seem fair?

You could certainly make the argument that a leader (chief) should energize a community, but I’m afraid your Hilaryesque explanation falls short. It takes more than a village. It takes a leader.

Comment

Are you sure you mean that?
                      So… it’s the fault of ALL Wichitans that the city is crime infested??? It takes a Village to place the blame?
                      What have you done then to lower the crime rate in Wichita or are you part of the problem? Does that seem fair?

You could certainly make the argument that a leader (chief) should energize a community, but I’m afraid your Hilaryesque explanation falls short. It takes more than a village. It takes a leader.
                      Yes, I’m sure I mean that.

1. It’s about A community, not THE community. You could define a community as a nation, a state, a county, a city, a neighborhood, or a family, or even an organization. The community in which you voluntarily associate is the community or communities in which you should work to make better. Anyone that is participating in a community of crime and poverty and waiting for the gov to improve while doing nothing is at fault. Similarly, anyone that shuns a community is equally at fault.

2. I have done very little to improve Wichita as that is not my community, but in the communities I participate, I do my part.

3. I have no issue with leaders energizing a community. In our current system, it is the role of the police to execute the rules that are legislated. The legislators are responsible for setting up the rules that are either oppressive or conducive to human flourishing. The police ensure that they are enforced equally.
                      Last edited by wufan; October 6, 2021, 06:45 AM.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

This quote appears in the American Spectator article :

"...fatal shootout between rival gangs in the city’s Southside Austin neighborhood, not too far from the Obama Monument. "

As a native Chicagoan I immediately noted that the author was unfamiliar with the city's geography and gang culture.

Austin is on the West Side, ​​​​​not South Side. The shooting in fact took place in North Austin (1200 N. Mason). Austin is the quintessential West Side black gang enclave. Englewood is its South Side equivalent..

There is a long-standing rivalry between West Side and South Side gangs. Any local knows this, and also knows not to offend some gangbanger by getting his 'hood wrong.

The Obama Presidential Library is no where near the site of the shooting. It is in Hyde Park on the Southeast Side, close to 20 miles and an hour away.

The reason I bring all this up is that in my opinion the author's carelessness betrays his agenda, and detracts from the rest of his article, with which I heartily agree.

He was looking for a convenient hook to hang his anti-Obama Presidential Library link on, and thought he found one in the (mistaken) South Side connection.

This is the problem with much agenda-driven writing; it sacrifices accuracy for the sake of making a political point. The Left and Right are both guilty. Both sides should strive to be more intellectually honest.

Comment

Yes, I’m sure I mean that.

1. It’s about A community, not THE community. You could define a community as a nation, a state, a county, a city, a neighborhood, or a family, or even an organization. The community in which you voluntarily associate is the community or communities in which you should work to make better. Anyone that is participating in a community of crime and poverty and waiting for the gov to improve while doing nothing is at fault. Similarly, anyone that shuns a community is equally at fault.

2. I have done very little to improve Wichita as that is not my community, but in the communities I participate, I do my part.

3. I have no issue with leaders energizing a community. In our current system, it is the role of the police to execute the rules that are legislated. The legislators are responsible for setting up the rules that are either oppressive or conducive to human flourishing. The police ensure that they are enforced equally.

If you mean community policing as helpful then I’m in full agreement.

Adding police officers (which I suspect Wichita is woefully underserved), developing a “broken window” police strategy and using platforms such as Compstats are required. The latter all used by some of the more successful big city Police chiefs.

There is a reason Bratton was hired in Boston, NYC, and LA and it wasn’t because of his lack of leadership. Ramsay needs to do more, continue to generate enthusiasm, hold accountable through arrests those criminals that break the law and develop a strategy on what he needs to lower the crime rate. It’s his job.

If I hired him, I’d preface by setting the expectation that we need to reduce crime by X% (breaking down various crime statistics), enhance public faith in the department as a measurable statistic, Ensure success in all the other measurable hiring, administrative, and equality issues, and ask how he’s going to get there and what does he need from me to achieve those goals.

Shoxlax pointed out that Ramsay has excellent community lines of communication established with very little civil unrest. He is to be commended for that.

Comment

If you mean community policing as helpful then I’m in full agreement.

Adding police officers (which I suspect Wichita is woefully underserved), developing a “broken window” police strategy and using platforms such as Compstats are required. The latter all used by some of the more successful big city Police chiefs.

There is a reason Bratton was hired in Boston, NYC, and LA and it wasn’t because of his lack of leadership. Ramsay needs to do more, continue to generate enthusiasm, hold accountable through arrests those criminals that break the law and develop a strategy on what he needs to lower the crime rate. It’s his job.

If I hired him, I’d preface by setting the expectation that we need to reduce crime by X% (breaking down various crime statistics), enhance public faith in the department as a measurable statistic, Ensure success in all the other measurable hiring, administrative, and equality issues, and ask how he’s going to get there and what does he need from me to achieve those goals.

Shoxlax pointed out that Ramsay has excellent community lines of communication established with very little civil unrest. He is to be commended for that.

No, I don’t mean hire more policeman and disagree with all of this.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

No, I don’t mean hire more policeman and disagree with all of this.
                              So what exactly would you do?
                              Whatever Wichita is trying to do isn’t working.

Comment

Working...
                              X