• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marines posed with Nazi SS symbol in Afghanistan

By Abby Sewell and Tony Perry
    Los Angeles Times
    Published: February 9, 2012

SAN DIEGO — The U.S. Marine Corps is dealing with fallout from the revelation that a group of Marines based at Camp Pendleton, Calif., and deployed to Afghanistan posed for a picture in front of a flag bearing a Nazi symbol.

The Marine Corps confirmed that the Marines pictured in the photo, which surfaced on the Internet, were part of one of its scout sniper teams deployed in Sangin province in 2010. The photo shows the Marines posing in front of a U.S. flag with a flag bearing the Nazi SS symbol underneath.

Lt. Col. Stewart Upton said in a statement that the scout snipers had been “addressed” concerning the issue. He said none of the personnel in the picture are still part of the unit, which is now deployed again.

Read more...

im sure it was all in good fun because racism does not exist anymore.

Comment

And neither does stupidity.

Comment

Face it. There are some members of our military personnel who are just not very smart. Quotas need to be filled and I believe at times, they are filled with the dimmest lit light bulbs on the face of the planet. This incident, along with numerous others of photographing urinating on dead bodies, a video of Marines surrounding a goat in a room in Afghanistan where they pass a baseball bat around and strike it until its dead, along with others just are head scratching.

I can see this happening to third world countries who have third world armies, but dammit, we are the USA. We set the example, we hold ourselves to be the best of the best, we need to act like it. A few bad apples spoil the bunch propaganda will be used unfortunately.

Comment

There is no quota filling when it comes to Snipers.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

It was a stupid stupid thing to do. Nazi Germany has terrible implications to it, and you DO NOT pose with a Swastika flag ... period Nothing about this is humerous, at all.

3 time Vietnam Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9 View Post
              you DO NOT pose with a Swastika flag ... period
              Well, then I guess you will feel better since they did not pose with a nazi "swastika". It was two lightning bolts shaped as a "s" standing for "scout sniper".

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                Well, then I guess you will feel better since they did not pose with a nazi "swastika". It was two lightning bolts shaped as a "s" standing for "scout sniper".
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzstaffel
                T
                hey need to to change their signature with respect to those who lived and served during WW2
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzstaffel
                  T
                  hey need to to change their signature with respect to those who lived and served during WW2
                  No doubt it was bad taste. They, much like the average American really don't know history except what come from "call of duty" on their PS3. They probably thought thought they were being cute.

Comment

Working...
                  X