The Kite Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kite Runner

One of the books I read over my Christmas vacation was The Kite Runner. I think the movie is out now too. The book was a bestseller when it came out a couple of years ago but I just got around to reading it.

This is one of the best books I've ever read. The writing is so clean. I think this is how everybody wishes they could write.

The story is beautiful, but haunting and tragic.

It covers from the late 60s to 2002 and is about a privileged Afghan boy and his best friend. His friend and his father are the servants of the narrator and his father. It's particularly interesting to read about Afghanistan in the late 60s, when it was thriving. (The author is an Afghan, but the book is written in English).

Has anybody else read it?

I saw it at Sam's the other day and almost picked it.

I will now.

Happy New Year.
    Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

A great book.

It shows that an author can be 'literary' and still have a good, fast moving plot. Why this combination is so rare will always be a mystery to me. Good writing does not need to be boring writing, and books with good plots can be written for an intelligent audience. This book proves it on both counts.

I have not read his follow up, A Thousand Splendid Suns, but it is has been very well received as well.

Comment

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns and it's as amazing as The Kite Runner. Same time period, same place, but a much different story.

Comment

I saw the movie on Showtime, must admit quite good
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
          X