Hobby foundry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    This is similar to the one I bought. Easy build.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...sLOtAaViLjACg2
    I need to do this.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I need to do this.
      I'm going to make some new greensand, what I have isn't casting well anymore. I made this bowl yesterday. I haven't finished it. The lumpy texture is kind of cool and it gives it a clay look. I'm going to clean off the gates and riser, but the rim to a polish and leave the rest. Casting a bowl may look easy, but its a little complicated.
      IMG_20210111_115129.jpg
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Chinese

Comment

I'm going to make some new greensand, what I have isn't casting well anymore. I made this bowl yesterday. I haven't finished it. The lumpy texture is kind of cool and it gives it a clay look. I'm going to clean off the gates and riser, but the rim to a polish and leave the rest. Casting a bowl may look easy, but its a little complicated.
          IMG_20210111_115129.jpg
          What type of metal is that?

Comment

What type of metal is that?
            Aluminum with course sand. It's really hard to show the size of the bowl but it's a standard 2 cup bowl. I want it to look rustic with a polished rim. I haven't started the rim yet. I'm going to keep it on my dresser for change. I'm going to the trap and skeet range in the next few days to see if they will let me have discarded shotgun shells. If I can, I'll clean up the shells, remove the primers and melt down brass.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Aluminum with course sand. It's really hard to show the size of the bowl but it's a standard 2 cup bowl. I want it to look rustic with a polished rim. I haven't started the rim yet. I'm going to keep it on my dresser for change. I'm going to the trap and skeet range in the next few days to see if they will let me have discarded shotgun shells. If I can, I'll clean up the shells, remove the primers and melt down brass.
              Pretty dang cool! Is there a way to do high detail stuff like tin soldiers, or is that getting too detailed? I'm assuming you can't use sand for that and have to step into some type of mold to do small detail stuff?

Comment

Pretty dang cool! Is there a way to do high detail stuff like tin soldiers, or is that getting too detailed? I'm assuming you can't use sand for that and have to step into some type of mold to do small detail stuff?
                You can do it. Really fine sand and lost wax casting. I haven't done any lost wax casts, but I have done lost foam casting.

Lost wax casting involves making a silicone mold, filling with the mold with paraffin, then casting the paraffin. Pool filter sand shows good detail, but you could also buy petrobond sand, I never have, but it probably shows as good or better detail than sand you make.

This is also why I was hoping others have done this, I want to get better. The whole hobby is fun, though, and what doesn't work can always be remelted.

Comment

You can do it. Really fine sand and lost wax casting. I haven't done any lost wax casts, but I have done lost foam casting.

Lost wax casting involves making a silicone mold, filling with the mold with paraffin, then casting the paraffin. Pool filter sand shows good detail, but you could also buy petrobond sand, I never have, but it probably shows as good or better detail than sand you make.

This is also why I was hoping others have done this, I want to get better. The whole hobby is fun, though, and what doesn't work can always be remelted.
                  Well, this site is full of educated dudes, and melting metal in a homemade brick furnace is only one step up from making moonshine. You'd have better luck at MSU's board. That said, I have to try this.

Comment

Well, this site is full of educated dudes, and melting metal in a homemade brick furnace is only one step up from making moonshine. You'd have better luck at MSU's board. That said, I have to try this.
                    I'm gonna do the moonshine someday, always wanted to try. I guess I should just move to Springpatch.

Comment

I'm gonna do the moonshine someday, always wanted to try. I guess I should just move to Springpatch.
                      I'm gonna try beer. Again. Failed in college. Sort of. I didn't make anything that tasted like beer, but I did end up making some nasty tasting alcohol.

Then a few years later my father and I tried making wine. We took a sip and looked at each other and just laughed it off. Fail. Or so we thought. Then just a few months later I was in Springfield (yes the aforementioned Springfield) visiting my uncle. He gave us some "communion" wine. It tasted EXACTLY like the awful stuff we made months before and thought we failed.

Comment

My son asked about melting copper. My foundry is supposed to get that hot. 1900° or so. We might give it a try tomorrow as school is canceled.

Comment

Working...
                        X