Origin of Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of Covid-19

This doesn't need to be a political discussion, since it relies more on science, history and logic. But if it turns into that I guess we can move it.

That said, here is a really good (but VERY long, give yourself an hour, plus) read from New York Magazine laying out why the author believes, but admits he may be wrong, the virus originated in a Wuhan lab.

I came across this link in an Outkick article, which gives some basic info and background of the author. I recommend reading that first, then the main article.

So this is going to feel like a bit of a homework assignment, but I would highly advise carving out 90 minutes to read this story by Nicholson Baker in New York Magazine. In it, he

For decades, scientists have been hot-wiring viruses in hopes of preventing a pandemic, not causing one. But what if …?

I read 99% of the New York Mag article. The author builds a strong premise, but then ends with a legion of experts contradicting him. It absolutely could happen, but did it? We may never know.

What I took from the article was the truckload of accidents that have happened in the past. Do we really need to be mucking around with viruses in laboratories? Have we preemptively stopped any pandemics in the past fooling around with mother nature? Can't we just deal with virtual reality at this point and leave the actually biology in the forests and under the seas?

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      I read 99% of the New York Mag article. The author builds a strong premise, but then ends with a legion of experts contradicting him. It absolutely could happen, but did it? We may never know.

What I took from the article was the truckload of accidents that have happened in the past. Do we really need to be mucking around with viruses in laboratories? Have we preemptively stopped any pandemics in the past fooling around with mother nature? Can't we just deal with virtual reality at this point and leave the actually biology in the forests and under the seas?
      Although nature is far more powerful than man, man manipulating nature is the essence of civilization. To stop man from innovation is to end civilization.

If you want to live in Denver I suggest you give humankind its due.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Although nature is far more powerful than man, man manipulating nature is the essence of civilization. To stop man from innovation is to end civilization.

If you want to live in Denver I suggest you give humankind its due.
        I got nothing against innovation, but considering how many times the article details mankind stepping on their dicks w/ respect to dangerous bugs, perhaps sequencing the DNA and then simulating their behavior virtually is the best choice until we can learn how to maintain a level 4 sterile field. And you just can't get good help these days.

Mountain lion giving Denver man his due.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I got nothing against innovation, but considering how many times the article details mankind stepping on their dicks w/ respect to dangerous bugs, perhaps sequencing the DNA and then simulating their behavior virtually is the best choice until we can learn how to maintain a level 4 sterile field. And you just can't get good help these days.

Mountain lion giving Denver man his due.
          Trust the science just as you trust the government.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Trust the science just as you trust the government.

Comment

Working...
            X