Open Records Requests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Records Requests

On the Wichita State web site you can find open records requests and it has a lot of good information. I came across the site while trying to find Gregg Marshall's contracts and posted the site in a thread on the basketball forum, but thought I'd start it's own thread to make it easier for people to find the information. The main site can be found at

and there are links on there to a FAQ, how to submit a request, and a log with previous requests. Anyone can submit a request, but there are fees and you or may not get any information due to legalities involved. It doesn't have to be sports related either. If you look through the request log you'll see requests for other things besides sports.

Most of the requests are from reporters. If you ever read an article and they say they put in an open request for information from WSU and then include that information in their article, you can see the information as well. There does seem to be a lag between requests through and when they show up in the log. Seems like it's usually a week or so after the request before it shows in the log.

That's the basics - I'll create some other posts with more specific links such as links to requests dealing with the men's basketball team, etc.
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Some of the requests related to sports (this is not an all-inclusive list) based on ID number:

Coaches contracts - 68, 210, 622, 820, 838, 870, 1098, 1336, 1410, 1710, 1900
    AD contracts - 68, 144, 1638
    Separation agreements - 652, 1000
    Miscellaneous things (exit interviews, handbook, 3rd party agreements, etc.) - 382, 548, 572, 626, 714, 792, 1288, 1340
    Contract to join AAC - 1894
    Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; September 22, 2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Some of the requests related to non-sports (this is not an all-inclusive list):

Legal Issues and Lawyer Invoices - 652, 902, 928, 1024
      President Golden - 886, 898

Edited to remove direct links in case the url's change.
      Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; December 11, 2020, 04:48 AM.

Comment

The Todd Butler comments were pretty disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          The Todd Butler comments were pretty disgusting.
          Were those from the Exit Interviews or something else? I've been meaning to put together more posts, like one for just baseball related requests, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Comment

I read the initial post of these from the Coach Marshall Investigation thread, and it was interesting but I still can't shake the feeling of being a snoop and having access to things I shouldn't have access to. Sure, we are tax payers, and sure maybe technically we have a right, but ... it just feels dirty seeing some of this. Shouldn't student exit interviews be private? I mean you can identify specific athletes if you know them well enough -- and that's just wrong.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Were those from the Exit Interviews or something else? I've been meaning to put together more posts, like one for just baseball related requests, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
              Yes, they were exit interview from the links you posted. There was one comment that said something like "we had 11 players drafted and we still couldn't win - what a joke"

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                I read the initial post of these from the Coach Marshall Investigation thread, and it was interesting but I still can't shake the feeling of being a snoop and having access to things I shouldn't have access to. Sure, we are tax payers, and sure maybe technically we have a right, but ... it just feels dirty seeing some of this. Shouldn't student exit interviews be private? I mean you can identify specific athletes if you know them well enough -- and that's just wrong.
                When I was at WSU we had to periodically rate our instructors and those ranking were kept in a notebook that could be accessed by anybody. So why should athletics be any different?

Maybe if the public took more of interest, then some of the negative things would not be tolerated and acted on before it gets to the point and blows up.

Comment

I was kind of surprised too that everything was out there. I wondered if maybe it was a KBOR requirement or something from the state, but I couldn't find anything like it on the KU or KSU sites. They had web pages where they discussed open records requests but they didn't have an activity log page. I have a feeling maybe WSU did the web pages to be able to reference people to prior requests, such as pointing people to the Exit Interviews or coaches contracts, but by doing so, they ended up making it public for everyone. Given the big gap between the last two record id's (954 and 982), I imagine there either must be some they keep private, or they use the site for other records and have a field in the records they check that says show it in the activity log.

If you want to remove the thread that's fine with me. I don't want to have the links out there in their own thread if it makes people uncomfortable.

Comment

A couple of interesting things from those:

The two other sports occupying CKA are salty that the men's team gets preferential treatment. I mean, I hate to break it to them, but there's a reason for that.

Only one men's basketball player on there and it's pretty easily identifiable who it is. Did the men's players leaving just not fill them out or were they withheld?
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

When I was at WSU we had to periodically rate our instructors and those ranking were kept in a notebook that could be accessed by anybody. So why should athletics be any different?
                      Hmm, I think we "did time" around the same time frame, and that definitely wasn't the case for ANY classes for me. It was electronic (you filled out bubbles on paper that were electronically scanned) and your name definitely was not asked on your form. In reality it was optional, though they strongly encouraged you to submit the form (but didn't require you to). Teachers were even required to leave while you were given the opportunity to fill these out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                        A couple of interesting things from those:

The two other sports occupying CKA are salty that the men's team gets preferential treatment. I mean, I hate to break it to them, but there's a reason for that.

Only one men's basketball player on there and it's pretty easily identifiable who it is. Did the men's players leaving just not fill them out or were they withheld?
                        KSN did a story Sunday night about the exit interviews - https://www.ksn.com/news/local/ksn-i...it-interviews/ - and in it they mention "Under the NCAA bylaws, the athletic department “shall conduct exit interviews in each sport with a sample of student-athletes (as determined by the institution) whose eligibility has expired.” KSN confirmed with WSU that those interviews include departing seniors and transfer students." So it seems like there should be more from the men's basketball team, especially in that 17-18 year because that would have been when Shaq and others graduated. But since the institution can determine things, maybe they primarily do it with newer coaches??

There's actually another request for the 18-19 exit interviews at https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/318/ and it has a pdf called Data_All_...zip, which shows a count of the number of responses. Other sports didn't have any interviews either, but I don't know if it was because they didn't have any seniors or transfers, or if they didn't fill them out.

Comment

The separation agreement with Gregg Marshall is available at https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...og/entry/1000/ I've also added a link to it in the 2nd post above. Since the university is a public entity, they release the separation agreement if there's an open records request for it. See 15(F) of the agreement for more information on that part.
                          Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; November 19, 2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Hmm, I think we "did time" around the same time frame, and that definitely wasn't the case for ANY classes for me
                            1984-89?

Comment

1984-89?
                              Ah, we missed a bit. 92-96.

Comment

Working...
                              X