Costa Concordia Sinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Concordia Sinking

Has anyone else been keeping up with this? A recent recording has come out that has the captain abandoning ship while people were on board and had to be literally ordered to get back on board.

Edit: While the captain agreed to return to the ship at the end of the recording he never did so.
    Last edited by Ixiah; January 17, 2012, 03:27 PM.

Didn't know all of that. Wonder how much trouble he'll end up being in when it's all said and done...
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I have a little bit and I read the transcript of the exchange between the Captain and the Port Authority employee. Disgraceful is nice way of putting it. The Captain of a ship is responsible for the well being of his crew and passengers – he is also responsible for the conduct of his crew.

If you don’t want that responsibility don’t sit in the chair. I don’t know what the legal ramifications of all this is under Italian law but in a different time it appears this fellow would have been horsewhipped or worse. Frankly, I prefer the latter.

Comment

You obviously couldn't trust this guy if you were with him in a coleman canoe at the car wash.

Comment

Captain now claims he "tripped" into a lifeboat. If it wasn't for the fact people died in this fiasco it would be comical.

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and make a bold prediction I haven't heard anywhere else that MIGHT explain all of this: The captain was drinking at the time, possibly drunk.

I have no idea if true, but if so it would explain a lot of this. I also doubt we'll ever know if that was the case.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              I'm gonna go out on a limb here and make a bold prediction I haven't heard anywhere else that MIGHT explain all of this: The captain was drinking at the time, possibly drunk.

I have no idea if true, but if so it would explain a lot of this. I also doubt we'll ever know if that was the case.
              While it would explain a few things, I am not sure, based on what I have read, that is the case.

Seems to me he made a bad decision and made things much worse after everything went wrong.

Comment

Could be, but his decisions are so poor that they are almost beyond belief. Either he was drunk, or just completely froze up in the face of fear. I don't see any other explanation.

Comment

Well, he was drinking.

Filipino cook Rogelio Barista said the pair sipped drinks in the restaurant and had dessert almost 30 minutes after the collision.
                  In fact the junior officers appear to have taken things into their own hands in getting the people off.

Junior officers on the Concordia eventually led a mutiny to get passengers to safety.Coastguard staff at the scene reported lifeboats in the water before Schettino, from Naples, gave the order.
                  Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino ordered a chef to make him dinner and bring him drinks as the doomed cruise ship sank, it was claimed yesterday.

Comment

I'm on ferries several times a year. Always a bit nervous about it (especially when the sea is frozen over), but it's a relatively cheap and glorious way to travel from place to place.

I enjoyed this.

http://www.anorak.co.uk/308783/news/belfast-telegraph-and-guardian-compete-for-biggest-costa-concordia-photo-fail.html/

A
                    nd that, folks, is why newspaper editors should coordinate with their advertising departments.

Good times.
                    I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

Originally posted by Wu du Nord View Post
                      I'm on ferries several times a year.
                      This surprises none of us.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                        Well played
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                          Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          Well played
                          Ha-ha! Gay sex! Probably frothy. Definitely in the butt.

Gee thanks, Batman and Robin. You guys sure are swell.

Wait, you guys aren't...? Nevermind.

Sweet irony. ;-)
                          I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

The captain was telling the port authorities 30 minutes after the accident that they only suffered a blackout.

ROME - A new audiotape emerged Thursday of the first contact between Livorno port officials and the Costa Concordia — and an unidentified crew member is heard insisting that his cruise ship only had a blackout a full 30 minutes after it had rammed into a reef. The Associated Press identified the crew member as Capt. Francesco Schettino, who was jailed after he left the ship before everyone was safely evacuated.
                            Now they are worried about the fuel in the thing leaking out.

Captain Schettino also deliberately took the ship off its designated course.

the captain has acknowledged carrying out what he called a "tourist navigation" that brought the ship closer to Giglio

The reason appears to be to do a "fly by" as a favor.

The cruise line operator has said Schettino strayed from the ship's authorized course into waters too close to the perilous reef. The navigational version of a "fly by" was apparently a favor to the chief waiter who is from Giglio and whose parents live on the island, local media reported.

Half an hour before disaster struck, the waiter's sister posted an entry on her Facebook page saying she had been told the ship was "going to pass really close" and sending "a big hello to my brother."
                            Below is a copied portion of an article that was written by By Eric J. Lyman and Carolyn Pesce, USA TODAY and shown on USA Today online. He...
                            Last edited by Ixiah; January 19, 2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Capt'n Shittano: "Letsh drive thish ship next to the shore. It'll be great publishity! Waiter! Another round!"

Comment

Working...
                              X