WSU Innovation Campus Business Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Innovation Campus Business Model

I drove through the campus recently and was astounded at all the development. Hell, a year ago I was astounded when I toured. There are hundreds of millions of dollars in new construction and I can't understand how it all makes sense. The first thing that comes to mind is money laundering. What incentive do these organizations have to build on Wichita State's campus? Are they getting free loans? Why is there a brand new Hyatt on campus sitting empty lol. Are organizations using WSU's campus to exploit cheap international STEM labor? Maybe they can get around immigration barriers? The new NetApp building is off the chain. Something smells very fishy about all this. It's wonderful to drive around and look at, especially at night, but it doesn't feel paid for lol... or even close to a viable concept.

All tax money?

I don't even recognize the campus of my freakin' alma mater. :*(

Why? How? WTF?

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
    Why is there a brand new Hyatt on campus sitting empty lol.
    Chinavirus. Duh.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think the words you're looking for are "Thank you President Trump."

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
        I think the words you're looking for are "Thank you President Trump."
        Yea, let’s cancel Ivanka; would make a great Budweiser “real men of genius” commercial...

“Wichita State University has set a new record for research and development awards, with a total of $136 million in fiscal year 2019, which ended June 30, topping last year's record-breaking total of $104 million.Aug 12, 2019“

“KSNW) – Wichita State University said a lab on WSU's Innovation campus will be renamed after Kansas Sen. Jerry Moran. The university's Advanced Center for Virtual Engineering and Testing will be renamed the Jerry Moran Center for Advanced Virtual Engineering and Testing, with a dedication ceremony planned this fall.Sep 14, 2020”
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I drove through the campus recently and was astounded at all the development. Hell, a year ago I was astounded when I toured. There are hundreds of millions of dollars in new construction and I can't understand how it all makes sense. The first thing that comes to mind is money laundering. What incentive do these organizations have to build on Wichita State's campus? Are they getting free loans? Why is there a brand new Hyatt on campus sitting empty lol. Are organizations using WSU's campus to exploit cheap international STEM labor? Maybe they can get around immigration barriers? The new NetApp building is off the chain. Something smells very fishy about all this. It's wonderful to drive around and look at, especially at night, but it doesn't feel paid for lol... or even close to a viable concept.

All tax money?

Why? How? WTF?
          God sent us Bardo...

Comment

All tax money?

Why? How? WTF?
            They did it because it works. It works at almost any college campus. UNO was transformed by their AkSarBen campus, it is no longer recognizable from what it was in 2,000. There are hotels, dorms, restaurants, businesses, fitness centers, classroom spaces, research facilities and more. All of this integrates into a cynergy that I can't even explain.

You want this at Wichita State, regardless of the university, you want this in Wichita, period. The place will be crowded and buzzing all day. Businesses are finding their employees to be more productive in this positive environment and those that share research space benefit from a great collaborative relationship with the university.

Simply put, it works. For everyone.

Here are some photos from what is being done at UNO, I'll post a few screen grabs of both businesses and university space. This used to be the old abandoned race track, along with a defunct executive golf course.

First photo, Keiwitt Institute, second Blue Cross Blue Shield, third, HDR headquarters.scott-campus-overhead.jpg0.jpeg.jpghdr-headquarters-streetview-front.jpg
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

scott-campus-overhead.jpg_EF11229_4e402027-a742-45aa-a630-147185024e15.jpgaksarben.jpg
              Here are some morephotos, this project is 15 years old and still growing. UNO built an arena on the south side of the campus and are currently constructing a state of the art baseball and softball complex. Their athletic program is not on par with WSU, but without this campus, they would still be D-2. They now have the best athletic facilities in the Summit, would be in the top half of the Valley, all because of this public-private collaboration.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

unnamed-5.jpgMammel0602.jpgbaxterarena_inside0_3d91f55d-5056-a36a-091c830c57a0d7cc.jpg

Comment

All tax money?

Why? How? WTF?
                  Just remember WSU has a bank account (probably a whole bunch of them) and banks (as well as other financial institutions) are required to have an anti-AML program, which means regular visits from State banking regulators or Community banking regulators (I left the OCC and big bank regulators off deliberately - Wichita almost certainly does not have a big bank HQ) to monitor compliance. AML programs include Know Your Customer controls and monitoring of suspicious transactions to ensure sources (i.e. checks deposited in the university accounts) are legitimate.

Lack of AML compliance means fines, censures and consent orders.....and the kind of publicity that a banker would want to avoid.

But I agree with MVJ. Investment and growth helps not only the University but Wichita and Sedgewick county and keeps it vibrant.

God knows you haven't had much growth since Sam Brownback almost single-handedly destroyed the economy in Kansas. During and immediately after his 'stewardship', people left Kansas due to a lack of opportunity.

Comment

My wife and I will be in Wichita next week for the first time in 8 years. Looking forward to visiting the campus.

Comment

Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
                      My wife and I will be in Wichita next week for the first time in 8 years. Looking forward to visiting the campus.
                      Print a map... you won't recognize it.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

God sent us Bardo...
                        I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the guy below on the left; he's also a 'heavy hitter'...

Dr. John S. Tomblin Ph.D.

https://www.wichita.edu/profiles/res...mblin-John.php

Comment

Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
                          Every time I’m back in town, it seems like there’s at least two or three new buildings or other projects since the last time I visited.

It will be quite an experience for you. As WStateU said, bring a map!
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, but I'm yet to have my question answered. The closest I got was "they did it because it works". I mean, we are talking hundreds of millions in investment. Maybe a billion before it's all said and done. Where are the returns going to come from? Money is being thrown around like it's prime NYC real estate. This is just little ol' WSU. I felt like I was driving through Dubai the other night lol. Massive infrastructure with nobody home lol. Dubai did it with oil money, maybe we are too?

And it's not all Innovation Campus either, the rest of the traditional campus has changed A LOT. There's just facking loads of cabbage being spread all over that campus as thick as almond butter.

Could the Final Four run really have been the catalyst for starting this all? That and of course the perfect timing of having the perfect president.

BARDO I MISS YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, but I'm yet to have my question answered. The closest I got was "they did it because it works". I mean, we are talking hundreds of millions in investment. Maybe a billion before it's all said and done. Where are the returns going to come from? Money is being thrown around like it's prime NYC real estate. This is just little ol' WSU. I felt like I was driving through Dubai the other night lol. Massive infrastructure with nobody home lol. Dubai did it with oil money, maybe we are too?

And it's not all Innovation Campus either, the rest of the traditional campus has changed A LOT. There's just facking loads of cabbage being spread all over that campus as thick as almond butter.

Could the Final Four run really have been the catalyst for starting this all? That and of course the perfect timing of having the perfect president.

BARDO I MISS YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
                              I'm too damn old and tired, but there's 75 pages of good information and answers below... where 'ya been man?

https://shockernet.net/forum/miscell...75#post1253025

Comment

Working...
                              X