Lou Brock, St. Louis Icon. Dead at 81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lou Brock, St. Louis Icon. Dead at 81

OK. First, yes, I'm a Cardinal homer. I grew up loving baseball and listened to many a St. Louis game on the radio.

Stan the Man will always be my hero. Not only in baseball, but in life. However, Sweet Lou is right there with Bob Gibson and the Wizard of Oz as my next favorites.

He was the only active player to have an award named after while still an active player. During his career, he also won the Lou Gehrig Memorial Award, Babe Ruth Award, Roberto Clemente Award, among others.

One of the greatest base stealers, it had to be extra hard for him to have his left leg amputated below the knee due to his diabetes several years ago.

Lutz tweeted or retweeted this nugget: Lou Brock is the hitter that Tom Seaver faced the most in his career, Tom Seaver is the pitcher Lou Brock faced the most in his career.

If true, eerie.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. He was before my time but I enjoyed reading his accolades. He grew up less than an hour away from where my family hails from in Northeastern LA.
      Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

I got to meet Lou Brock at a baseball seminar here in Wichita when I was in high school. He was awesome and I still have an autographed ball from him. He talked in the seminar about base stealing. It was a PhD level lesson. He was so way above my head that I could barely comprehend (the seminar was mostly for coaches of HS, and above). I was so awed by him and his intimate knowledge of all things base stealing. He was very approachable as well. He is the only Hall of Famer I have personally met and I still treasure those few moments.
        Go Shocks!

Comment

Had his rookie card.

Sold back in '80 (hey, I was young and dumb).

Comment

One of my baseball heroes as a kid. Always looked up to Lou and was impressed by how polite and humble he was. One of the greats who will be missed. I hated when Ricky Henderson broke his record. A complete gentleman replaced by a cocky, arrogant, self centered player.

Comment

One of my all-time favorites as well. Played with not only a very highlevel of skill but also a very high level of class.

Walking Lou was pretty much the same as giving up a double if 2nd base was open.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 8, 2020, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
                Lutz tweeted or retweeted this nugget: Lou Brock is the hitter that Tom Seaver faced the most in his career, Tom Seaver is the pitcher Lou Brock faced the most in his career.

If true, eerie.
                Yes, I saw that reported elsewhere as well.

Lou Brock, the Hall of Fame St. Louis Cardinals' outfielder who topped 3,000 hits and retired as the all-time leader in stolen bases, has died at 81.

Brock's death came after Hall of Fame pitcher and New York Mets legend Tom Seaver died on Monday. Brock and Seaver faced each other 157 times, the most prolific matchup for both of them in their careers.

Comment

One of only 32 guys ever to get to 3,000 hits

Comment

Working...
                  X