Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Think You Could Live On a Minimum Wage Salary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Think You Could Live On a Minimum Wage Salary?

For the entire month of January, I've been trying to live on minimum wage ($7.25 an hour). I've been trying to mimic the lifestyle of someone who would have to live on the salary of say a McDonald's employee and see how feasible and hard it is. Obviously I had to take some liberties with it dealing with a house, car, utilities, Shocker games, etc.

I've been keeping a daily blog going on it

It's much harder than one would think. Do you think you guys could do it?
    ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
    www.wichitabyeb.com

I did it during my first year of college. I worked around 30 hours a week. The hardest part is saving money. Just when I would start to get ahead I would have to fix my car or something. Whoever calculates minimum wage does a decent job, since it is the absolute bare minimum you need to get by.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Ramen Noodles for the win!
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

That, and most people who make minimum wage are HS and some college kids. It's not meant to support a family or anything. And you don't make minimum wage for long.

I sadly don't make a lot more than MW right now. But I'm stable and can get by and still manage to have season tickets. I buy smart, don't eat out a ton and don't do a lot of excessive travel. I also have a house payment to make every month.

It may not be easy, but it's also not long term unless you can't keep a job and/or don't get an education.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Back in my college days, 20-25 years ago, I made it by on $500-600 per month, which had to pay for my split of rent and utilities (usually about $175-200 back then split amongst me and a couple roomies), gas, food, and fun. Parents covered my car insurance and repairs if necessary. No cable or internet back then, but thankfully in my last couple years a friend worked for a video store so we got free movies. Rent, bills, gas for the car, and groceries usually ran me about $350-400 per month, so I only had $100-200 left for discretionary spending. But I made it all but a couple months of my undergrad years without having to borrow from mom and dad. Oh, thanks to music and academics, all my tuition was paid for by scholarships.

It can be done, it just takes willingness to go without some things, a concept lost of far too many people. BTW, I never felt poor, I always had the necessities.
          Last edited by ShockBand; January 6, 2012, 01:54 PM.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Once you've successfully completed and conquered your month long quest, you need to get in touch with the Dave Ramsey show (“Beans & Rice, Rice & Beans”).
            You might just land yourself one whale of a job (maybe you already have one?). Regardless, congratulations for having the cojones to give this a try. People need to read and listen to your experience.

“I’m debt free… FREEEEDDDDOOOMMMMM!!!!!"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If you're really bold @EB 22:, maybe you could donate the extra dough you're socking away to a not-for-profit. Eh??

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Ramen Noodles for the win!
                With the amount of sodium in Ramen Noodles, you'd have to chuck about 2 grand for your medical expenses after passing kidney stones.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                  With the amount of sodium in Ramen Noodles, you'd have to chuck about 2 grand for your medical expenses after passing kidney stones.
                  Yeah but with Obamacare medical expenses are free right?

Comment

No I couldnt! As far as Obamacare at least you get a patient bill of rights, but it is a weak version of what Mitt Romney did in Mass( In my opinion not very good(Obamas not Romneys)). Universal National Healthcare for all! Sicko! :panda:
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                      No I couldnt! As far as Obamacare at least you get a patient bill of rights, but it is a weak version of what Mitt Romney did in Mass( In my opinion not very good(Obamas not Romneys)). Universal National Healthcare for all! Sicko! :panda:
                      Even if on minimum wage?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Even if on minimum wage?
                        Even more so
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
                          If you're really bold @EB 22:, maybe you could donate the extra dough you're socking away to a not-for-profit. Eh??
                          I thought about it but I also thought about socking it away for a possible post season tournament run for the Shockers. It's kind of donating isn't it? Helping the Shockers get a better turnout and following?
                          ============

www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

It's definitely possible. The Super Size Me guy tried to do it, and failed. The problem was this was back when the minimum wage was $5.xx and he was getting some money taken out each hour because he got his jobs through a temp agency. The thing that sent him past "doable" was getting his hand injured while using a shovel for one of his jobs.

Comment

Closing in on the final 8 days: http://wichitabyeb.blogspot.com/2012...21-and-22.html
                              ============

www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

Working...
                              X