Can you pick out the Stradivarius violin by sound alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you pick out the Stradivarius violin by sound alone

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2012/01/02/144482863/double-blind-violin-test-can-you-pick-the-strad?sc=fb&cc=fp

I
    did:cheerful:
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

That was interesting and it makes for quick entertaining story, but I'm not certain what the take away should be from it.

Clearly the older Italian instruments have served for hundreds of years as prototypical form of the instruments. The modern instruments were certainly constructed with intended outcomes and methods informed by the older models. Also, I'm guessing (it wasn't specified) that the challenger modern instruments were not exactly Yamaha student models, either.

Iconic status has value. My friend, Bill, owns a Fender Stratocaster. It looks cool, plays great and sounds like it should. Older strats were not built with the precision of modern production, but many are worth substantially more; especially if owned by someone of standing in the playing community.

I have some very nice speakers attach and a Harman/Kardon receiver running sound out of my computer with a studio quality sound card. With this arrangement, I can listen to music in good detail. I, honestly, picked the 'right' piece immediately. Although, the recorded clips were sampled at 64kbps, which is much much too low to do either instrument listening justice.
    I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

I was able to pick it out as well. Interesting study. I have found with trumpets its as much as the player if not more then what is being played
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
      Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
        I was able to pick it out as well. Interesting study. I have found with trumpets its as much as the player if not more then what is being played
        I knew John Aley and David Hickman, both could make a crappy trumpet sound great.
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
        X