Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    I would srrongly advise against riding bikes. If you've read this thread and are considering dipping your toe int the bicycle world, just back out skiwly, close the door and pretend you never saw any of this.

Cycling is like crack. I started on a used Trek, now I have a fleet of six bikes. Bought my first carbon fiber job. I can't seem to part with any of my bikes. I've already started dreaming of my next bike.

The worst part, my wife is normally the calming force when it comes to impulse buys, but she got into it, too. I have six bikes, she has seven.

Its for your own good, don't buy your first bike, it never ends.
    Sounds like you need to add another bike to the fleet. After all, you can't let the wife have more than you. You have my permission.

Comment

• I've currently got one old steel Trek mountain bike. Gave away my old Schwinn 10 speed to a guy doing some tree pruning in my yard. I'm into bicycling for the aerobic exercise and the self inflicted sadomasochism. My wife is not. She has an old high end Schwinn 10 speed and now mainly rides around the neighborhood. Have a strong feeling that in a short time I will have to be moving on to something like a Teeter free step for my "Golden Years", but then will no longer have to worry about cars, dogs, bears, mountain lions, or occasional encounters with dangerous psychotic guys on the trail, and will hopefully be able to walk up the stairs in little to no pain.
      Last edited by N Crestway; February 15, 2022, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• I'm thinking about getting one of these treadmills:

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
          Cycling is like crack. I started on a used Trek, now I have a fleet of six bikes. Bought my first carbon fiber job. I can't seem to part with any of my bikes. I've already started dreaming of my next bike.
          #7?

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I am now one of you. I was long term loaned an iron horse bike and rode 12 miles yesterday. My ass is so sore. I tried everything for relief when I was riding. I tried sitting in the pointy end of the seat, and then putting one butt cheek at a time on the seat. This morning I am tender in places I’ve never been tender before. I don’t know if I can do this.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
              I am now one of you. I was long term loaned an iron horse bike and rode 12 miles yesterday. My ass is so sore. I tried everything for relief when I was riding. I tried sitting in the pointy end of the seat, and then putting one butt cheek at a time on the seat. This morning I am tender in places I’ve never been tender before. I don’t know if I can do this.
              Keep going! Its a bad idea to jump on a bike and ride 12 miles out of the gate. It gets fun, fast. Sit nones dont like the break in period.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I am now one of you. I was long term loaned an iron horse bike and rode 12 miles yesterday. My ass is so sore. I tried everything for relief when I was riding. I tried sitting in the pointy end of the seat, and then putting one butt cheek at a time on the seat. This morning I am tender in places I’ve never been tender before. I don’t know if I can do this.
                12 miles is a decent ride for a first ride. Yeah, my bum would be sore too. There are a lot of things in play here, but...

1. seat position
                2. seat height
                3. seat angle
                4. bad/old/uncomfortable seat

WILL all play a role in soreness. All of these things will factor in how sore how the hands get as well (or don't get).

A comfortable seat will make the miles fly by. A pair of gel padded bike shorts will also do wonders. You don't have to go to a bike shop, prolly get some at Dicks Sports. When my wife started out, she wore the bike shorts and sat on a towel while riding. That helped loads, now her bum is never sore and she's really only active in that area twice a week. (bazinga) Let loose the jokes.

Comment

I would advise addressing the inflammation that might already be occurring in your bung due to other exotic hobbies.

Yes, sitting on the pointy end of things. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

now her bum is never sore and she's really only active in that area twice a week.
                    Congrats bro!

Comment

• Get a padded seat (with slit) for fat people (Amazon). I use one and my biking excursions are pain-free and my prostate remains calm and tingle-free. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                        Get a padded seat (with slit) for fat people (Amazon). I use one and my biking excursions are pain-free and my prostate remains calm and tingle-free. ;)
                        Some like padding, some don't. Probably the biggest issue is proper fit with sit bones. I have a leather Brooks saddle that is now on its third bike of mine. Some people love the Brooks, others don't, but it was the best $150 I've spent to pamper my ass. I just wish I hadn't scratched the leather.

I'm just getting the okay to ride since my shoulder repair. I've don a couple 15's and a 30. I need to hurry up, Tulsa Tough is just around the corner. 102 mile ride this year.

20220421_153056.jpg
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

12 miles is a decent ride for a first ride. Yeah, my bum would be sore too. There are a lot of things in play here, but...

1. seat position
                          2. seat height
                          3. seat angle
                          4. bad/old/uncomfortable seat

WILL all play a role in soreness. All of these things will factor in how sore how the hands get as well (or don't get).

A comfortable seat will make the miles fly by. A pair of gel padded bike shorts will also do wonders. You don't have to go to a bike shop, prolly get some at Dicks Sports. When my wife started out, she wore the bike shorts and sat on a towel while riding. That helped loads, now her bum is never sore and she's really only active in that area twice a week. (bazinga) Let loose the jokes.

We don’t have Dicks where I live.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I feel like Mike Tyson has been having his way with my taint. It would be better if it was my butt that was sore.

I don’t think I need a seat with a slit in it because this isn’t a tandem bike. I wouldn’t mind finding a better seat, but I don’t want to get too much of my hunting money wrapped up in this.

I was determined to ride again today so I cut up a thermarest pad and made a padded seat until I get used to it.

Last edited by shock; April 22, 2022, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• I just checked. My seat does not change angles.

Comment

I just checked. My seat does not change angles.
                                Send a pic, it probably does.

Comment

Working...
                                X