No announcement yet.

How's your 2020 mental health?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've dealt with anxiety and depression long before this virus. But, being forced to work from home for nine months and not really being able to get out and hang with many of the people I used to on occasion has made this year a huge struggle. I'm blessed that I have friends, a boss, and a number of coworkers who are aware of my struggles and have done a lot to reach out throughout all of this to keep tabs on me and let me know I'm not as alone as I may feel sometimes. I've gained a fair amount of weight since this began, which doesn't help the anxiety or depression, and going into winter it doesn't look to improve. I know I won't be back in the office anytime soon and outside of seeing a couple of friends once a month or so, I basically stay home with my dogs.

I will also say that I'm thankful that even in my darkest times, over a decade ago, I've never considered ending it, but have seen why it becomes an option to so many. At that time, I didn't care if I lived or died, but I'd have never done anything to directly cause harm to myself. But that doesn't mean thoughts of death and how little I meant didn't creep into my thoughts. I'm also lucky enough to have a friend that works in the mental health field and has helped me a bit from time to time and given me an outlet. Not everyone has that. And as we've seen on this forum, there are still people who try and shame those that suffer with mental illness and those people do a lot of harm to society.

This year has bene horrible for mental health and we've all seen that suicide numbers are up. I also heard a stat not too long ago that only about a third of people who struggle with some type of mental illness seek any kind of assistance. There are a lot of qualified people out there that can help, with or without medicating, and I wish more people went that route. It's not 100%, but nothing is. But for most, it can be a valuable asset or tool to helping you get through rough times and even get passed them. I say all this being part of the two thirds that haven't sought help, but I will once some of this covid stuff goes away. I am unable to wear a mask for long periods of time, and the person I have decided to see is currently requiring them for sessions.

This is a long way of saying, if you're struggling with anything, don't be ashamed to talk to people. Surely, we all have at least one friend we can trust and that will listen and be there. Talking about it can go a long way, be it with a professional or not. I know that while I still struggle with things, I've felt better since I've been more open about it and those around me are aware. It allows others to see certain warning signs or just knowing more how to read you when you're in a particular place or state of mind. Maybe it's just where I work, but my being open has I believe allowed a few others to open up a little about certain aspects of their battles and has made it to where a number of my team members reach out to me just to check in.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but this is a topic that has become more and more important to me as I find out how many people I know who battle different forms of mental illness daily.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

We're here for ya Subby. If you can make it through this pandemic with all your marbles acting in a somewhat compliant fashion, you can make it through anything. We are not solitary creatures; Companionship is essential not only to thrive, but to survive. YouTube Michael Franzese and listen to his account of what 3 years in solitary confinement was like. Same with Sammy "The Bull" Gravano who spent 6! You mentioned you have dogs, I do too. Dogs are the BEST!

Comment

Appreciate that Cold. And I'll have to check those recommendations out.

Also, I have three dogs and I sometimes wonder where I'd be without them. I will forever believe that we don't deserve dogs, but I'm thankful we have them.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

...Then I discovered the little blue pill and my life has forever changed. Please click on my link to see how.

Comment

How did this goob get 5 posts through?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Serious question (I know, shocker coming from your ole buddy SHOXAAC). There is a business owner that is a disabled-service veteran (brain trauma injury while serving) that has recently been very unstable and irrational with his business decisions. Employees are concerned about him and feel like there are psychotic symptoms, delusional thinking. Some employees have been victim of his delusional behavior. What action and what resources are out there to help this business owner. This business owner probably won't freely get help. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                Serious question (I know, shocker coming from your ole buddy SHOXAAC). There is a business owner that is a disabled-service veteran (brain trauma injury while serving) that has recently been very unstable and irrational with his business decisions. Employees are concerned about him and feel like there are psychotic symptoms, delusional thinking. Some employees have been victim of his delusional behavior. What action and what resources are out there to help this business owner. This business owner probably won't freely get help. Thanks in advance.
                Depending on how the company is structured. If there is a board of directors, they can step in and hold a special meeting to temporarily put someone else in charge while the owner deals with his situation. If there is no board of directors, someone who is trusted by the owner and is close to him should attempt to meet with him and discuss. Tough situation all around. Doesn't sound like he will step aside easily.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  How did this goob get 5 posts through?
                  Me thinks Kung was....

and then...

**it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                    Since he is a veteran there are numerous VA programs at the following link:

https://www.militaryonesource.mil/he...lth-resources/

if you think he is in crisis there is a hotline number at bottom of page.

Depending on his faith you might talking to Central Christian Counseling.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Since he is a veteran there are numerous VA programs at the following link:

https://www.militaryonesource.mil/he...lth-resources/

if you think he is in crisis there is a hotline number at bottom of page.

Depending on his faith you might talking to Central Christian Counseling.
                      Thanks SBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Depending on how the company is structured. If there is a board of directors, they can step in and hold a special meeting to temporarily put someone else in charge while the owner deals with his situation. If there is no board of directors, someone who is trusted by the owner and is close to him should attempt to meet with him and discuss. Tough situation all around. Doesn't sound like he will step aside easily.
                        Thanks MKR!!!

Comment

I'm lucky. I'm having to work a bunch, which keeps me at home and not thinking about the state of our world today. I ride my bike, 4 days a week, usually around 75 miles, sometimes more, so my weight actually dropped a few pounds. My bubble includes my girlfriend's place in Houston, so I can take time off occasionally to visit a friend over there (and he's locked down as well).

When I go through a rough time (and there have been two or three), I work on resilience, which worked really well for me.

Going through this damn pandemic has been kind of like running a marathon. At first it was kind of like 'can you, will you?' and there was some doubt. Once I got locked into a routine and found my groove, it's been easier to sustain. I have days when I workout and my energy is low that I feel the same way. I focus on powering through my workout and at some point, the clouds lift. It is the same coping skill at work here. Focus on the goal and not on how you feel at a particular point in time. We will have a vaccine soon and this crap will be gone.

I've also needed to be more mindful of my health. I tried to set myself up by scheduling doctor's appointments and making sure I had sustainment plans for the various medical conditions (including a knee replacement). I have to exercise to maintain my health, but I have to be a little more careful nowadays. If we didn't have this situation, I probably would have pushed myself until my knees gave out. Now I have to get through this wave so mindfulness is key.

I've made the remark a number of times that if I retired (and I could) it would probably negatively impact my mental health because I would be on lockdown and trying to find something to anchor my life.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            I apologize for the lengthy post, but this is a topic that has become more and more important to me as I find out how many people I know who battle different forms of mental illness daily.
                            Man, this was a heavy post.

I will say that the relatives I have that have dealt with anxiety (and even axiety that turned into severe depression) have sought help from a medical doctor and it has resulted in a recovery -- for at least some period -- every single time. I would encourage you to seek medical help from an M.D. _as often as necessary_. There's no such thing as too often when you are dealing with anxiety and depression. For example, we found that with my brother's severe depression it was a chemical imbalance that was fairly easily corrected with a non-permanent prescription once the doctors worked through it.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                            X