Covid-19 World-o-Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid-19 World-o-Meter

Not sure if previously posted, but interesting although scary statistics.
    Can also break it down by country and American states.

Daily and weekly updated statistics tracking the number of COVID-19 cases, recovered, and deaths. Historical data with cumulative charts, graphs, and updates.

If you wonder why Worldometer has different numbers than what the U.S. is reporting, it is because they are estimates. It is explained in this FAQ.

Are these numbers real?

Worldometer shows estimated current numbers based on statistics and projections from the most reputable official organizations.

Our sources include the United Nations Population Division, World Health Organization (WHO), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), International Monetary Fund (IMF), and World Bank.

We analyze the available data, perform statistical analysis, and build our algorithm which feeds the real time estimate.

Our counters have been licensed for the United Nations Conference Rio+20, BBC News, U2 concert, World Expo, and prestigious museums and events worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
      If you wonder why Worldometer has different numbers than what the U.S. is reporting, it is because they are estimates. It is explained in this FAQ.

Are these numbers real?

Worldometer shows estimated current numbers based on statistics and projections from the most reputable official organizations.

Our sources include the United Nations Population Division, World Health Organization (WHO), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), International Monetary Fund (IMF), and World Bank.

We analyze the available data, perform statistical analysis, and build our algorithm which feeds the real time estimate.

Our counters have been licensed for the United Nations Conference Rio+20, BBC News, U2 concert, World Expo, and prestigious museums and events worldwide.
      Worldometer looks slightly more reporting than the Johns Hopkins/CNN source. Pick your poison I guess.

Comment

The CDC is a bit behind. Worldometer and John's Hopkins vary a bit but are basically in agreement. For example, CDC shows 201 deaths to date. WoM shows 414. JH shows 417. I won't sweat the difference between WoM and JH. CDC doesn't look up to date in a rapidly changing environment.
        Go Shocks!

Comment

The Worldometer is cute and I watch it often, but it is a tiny reflection of the true worldwide infection. I pay particular attention to the "serious/critical" numbers listed as most of those will either die or be maimed (diminished lung function) for a long time.

Don't form too much of an opinion on the data though (unless it convinces you to keep your ass at home); until yesterday the U.S. showed 64 people in critical care. We had been at that number for like 3 days...

We're likely not getting accurate info from places like Iran, N. Korea, or China either.

T

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
            The CDC is a bit behind. Worldometer and John's Hopkins vary a bit but are basically in agreement. For example, CDC shows 201 deaths to date. WoM shows 414. JH shows 417. I won't sweat the difference between WoM and JH. CDC doesn't look up to date in a rapidly changing environment.
            It's not about being up to date.

Here is the process:

1) Your doctor swabs you.
            2) Your sample is sent to an independent lab in your state.
            3) If that independent lab says you are positive, you are _presumptive_ confirmed, and treated as if you have it.
            4) A sample is then sent to the CDC for rigorous testing for final confirmation.
            5) If it's positive you are then _confirmed_ (no longer presumptive).

The difference in numbers is just due to the time it takes to get the sample from the quick testing at the independent state labs to being officially confirmed by the CDC.

John Hopkins is reporting presumptive cases, the CDC is reporting confirmed cases. The same regarding deaths. CDC has to confirm the results of deaths, while JHU can report on presumptive positive reports.
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              The Worldometer is cute and I watch it often, but it is a tiny reflection of the true worldwide infection. I pay particular attention to the "serious/critical" numbers listed as most of those will either die or be maimed (diminished lung function) for a long time.

Don't form too much of an opinion on the data though (unless it convinces you to keep your ass at home); until yesterday the U.S. showed 64 people in critical care. We had been at that number for like 3 days...

We're likely not getting accurate info from places like Iran, N. Korea, or China either.

T

What about South Korea and Germany?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

T

Good point re true reporting. I suspect we can include Russia in that inaccurate reporting as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

It's not about being up to date.

Here is the process:

1) Your doctor swabs you.
                  2) Your sample is sent to an independent lab in your state.
                  3) If that independent lab says you are positive, you are _presumptive_ confirmed, and treated as if you have it.
                  4) A sample is then sent to the CDC for rigorous testing for final confirmation.
                  5) If it's positive you are then _confirmed_ (no longer presumptive).

The difference in numbers is just due to the time it takes to get the sample from the quick testing at the independent state labs to being officially confirmed by the CDC.

John Hopkins is reporting presumptive cases, the CDC is reporting confirmed cases. The same regarding deaths. CDC has to confirm the results of deaths, while JHU can report on presumptive positive reports.
                  CDC no longer required confirmatory testing after March 13.

from the CDC website

‡ As of 14 March 2020, public health laboratories using the CDC assay are no longer required by FDA to submit samples to CDC for confirmation. CDC is maintaining surge capacity while focusing on other support to state public health and on improving options for diagnostics for use in the public health sector.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

CDC no longer required confirmatory testing after March 13.

from the CDC website
                    Right, I saw that as well. Not sure if the CDC is going to continue reporting only their confirmed cases now or state roll-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Right, I saw that as well. Not sure if the CDC is going to continue reporting only their confirmed cases now or state roll-ups.
                      That is why nobody goes to the CDC for anything. You can't trust their numbers because nobody is sure if they are trying to keep it accurate. Also, they are only posting bear bone numbers and other sites provide more useful data. The state data sites are more useful than what the CDC is publishing. The state of Kansas actually has upgraded how they are presenting their data into much more useful.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

That is why nobody goes to the CDC for anything. You can't trust their numbers because nobody is sure if they are trying to keep it accurate. Also, they are only posting bear bone numbers and other sites provide more useful data. The state data sites are more useful than what the CDC is publishing. The state of Kansas actually has upgraded how they are presenting their data into much more useful.
                        Yes, I am tracking state data, and have ignored the CDC from pretty much day one, because I am only interested in presumptive positive cases.

Comment

Working...
                        X