Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

So you are saying they are 'easily bribed'. Care to offer up some evidence? I would imagine you have been personally impacted by a decision they made. Perhaps you think their protections are 'excessive', I will give that one to you because you are a libertarian. Most of the people down in the trenches at the FDA are trying to do the right thing. And the folks at the top running the agency (the non-career people)? Almost all Trump appointees, so there is a little irony in your statement.

If we ran the government as conservatively as your values would dictate, we would not have an FDA and then anybody could make any claim to 'cure' anything at any time, which is worse than what we have now (standards and a framework). What would you propose to remedy that behavior? I'm somewhat open to smaller government, but how do we accomplish this and what is the problem we are trying to solve?
    I will make a slight amendment to subgod’s claim. They work quid pro quo on almost every decision.

One particular FDA agent I worked with introduced himself and promptly told me that we were breaking the law and he was going to spend the next two weeks finding the crime.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Stop talking out of your ass SB. If the entire country was as conscientious as myself,
      I guess when push comes to shove, you really don't trust the science 100%.

Comment

Antibody test ---------------------------------- NEGATIVE! :
        Wait, I thought you were waiting for 3 weeks after your last symptoms?

All you can conclude at this point is your body has not yet produced a sufficient antibody response that can be detected. At minimum it takes 2 weeks after your last symptoms for antibodies to be detected.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Just the tip
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

90%.
            Of course! You're right lol. 98% certainty that one test is correct, but can't determine which one that is. Confidence in an individual test has to be at that accuracy level and each test rated lower is deleterious towards the overall confidence level. I chose the wrong formula from the start. I'm no stranger to exceptionalism... and that includes exceptional retardation. While most will miss the forest for the trees, CB misses the trees for the forest. Intellectual farsightedness.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I guess when push comes to shove, you really don't trust the science 100%.
              What are you talking about man? I follow all the science and take reasonable (some might say extreme) precautions.

Comment

Wait, I thought you were waiting for 3 weeks after your last symptoms?

All you can conclude at this point is your body has not yet produced a sufficient antibody response that can be detected. At minimum it takes 2 weeks after your last symptoms for antibodies to be detected.
                3 weeks from 1st symptom is the sweet spot for serology testing. Antibodies start showing up from 1-3 weeks. I took the antibody test 24 days from "first symptom" - 3 wks and 3 days.

Comment

3 weeks from 1st symptom is the sweet spot for serology testing. Antibodies start showing up from 1-3 weeks. I took the antibody test 24 days from "first symptom" - 3 wks and 3 days.
                  Who administered your antibody test?

Comment

Who administered your antibody test?
                    Dillon's pharmacist. Filled out some paperwork, he pricked my finger, I did my shopping, then came back and the results were in. Easy!

$25

Comment

Dillon's pharmacist. Filled out some paperwork, he pricked my finger, I did my shopping, then came back and the results were in. Easy!

$25
                      I would have went with labcorp ($10 and insurance covers the rest). If you really think you had covid and are not just a hypochondriac - you may want to wait a week and get tested again. You are at the near the minimum window for getting tested and you may have not developed enough antibodies yet.

Comment

I would have went with labcorp ($10 and insurance covers the rest). If you really think you had covid and are not just a hypochondriac - you may want to wait a week and get tested again. You are at the near the minimum window for getting tested and you may have not developed enough antibodies yet.
                        I had some clear symptoms of Covid, but nobody knows for sure with this alien disease. The symptoms range from none to dead. I had close contact with a healthcare worker that appeared to be ill. My symptoms came on abruptly two days are exposure. I suffered loss of 80% of my smell, night sweats (very unusual for me), gastrointestinal upset, and a general sense of malaise/brain fog. After about 4 days I felt pretty normal, but my smell didn't improve that much. It remains a little off to this day.

And as far as being a hypochondriac, all hyper-intelligent/aware individuals are at risk for various neurotic tendencies. :)

And increasingly—in the popular imagination as well as in the world of psychology—neuroticism is seen as a boost to imagination and creativity, and even a prerequisite for true genius, with figures ranging from Woody Allen to Steve Jobs proudly wearing their nerviness on their sleeves. We admiringly use words like “obsession” and “perfectionism” as synonyms for varieties of what we used to call neuroses.

A group of psychologists is now arguing that there may be some scientific basis for thinking there’s a link between neuroticism and creativity. In an opinion piece (pdf) published in Trends in Cognitive Sciences this month, Adam Perkins of King’s College London and his team posit a new theory that argues for the bright side of anxiety.

Here’s the reasoning: Neurotics are more susceptible to negative emotions because they’re particularly attuned to threats, both real and imagined. Says Perkins, the part of the brain that’s activated when we perceive threats is the same as the one that lights up when we have thoughts that seem to come from nowhere—another way of saying inventive ideas. That’s how being neurotic and being creative are related, he told Quartz. Says Perkins, “A neurotic mind helps you search out problems that other people haven’t even noticed.”
                        I feel like I "see everything" and it's been that way my entire life. It's a heavy burden.

I use diet, meditation, exercise, and positive personal relationships to maintain emotional balance. I take no medications for anything and I'm not exactly young. Meditation has had the biggest impact on what Buddhists call, my "mad monkey mind". Age has also slowed the ol' neural net processor down a bit too which is welcomed.

My work-life balance is out of whack though, but that is fairly typical of people in my industry.

You know a guy is starved for social contact when he's offered a suggestion about a test and responds with a dissertation on a nontangential topic. To be fair, you did gaslight me a little tho.

Comment

I had some clear symptoms of Covid, but nobody knows for sure with this alien disease. The symptoms range from none to dead. I had close contact with a healthcare worker that appeared to be ill. My symptoms came on abruptly two days are exposure. I suffered loss of 80% of my smell, night sweats (very unusual for me), gastrointestinal upset, and a general sense of malaise/brain fog. After about 4 days I felt pretty normal, but my smell didn't improve that much. It remains a little off to this day.

And as far as being a hypochondriac, all hyper-intelligent/aware individuals are at risk for various neurotic tendencies. :)

I feel like I "see everything" and it's been that way my entire life. It's a heavy burden.

I use diet, meditation, exercise, and positive personal relationships to maintain emotional balance. I take no medications for anything and I'm not exactly young. Meditation has had the biggest impact on what Buddhists call, my "mad monkey mind". Age has also slowed the ol' neural net processor down a bit too which is welcomed.

My work-life balance is out of whack though, but that is fairly typical of people in my industry.

You know a guy is starved for social contact when he's offered a suggestion about a test and responds with a dissertation on a nontangential topic. To be fair, you did gaslight me a little tho.
                          sounds like you just need to wait another week and get tested again.

You IgG antibodies peak out at 3-4 weeks and then plateau for undetermined number of weeks. You IgM response is more time sensitive. It peaks out after 3 weeks and then drops off over the next 3 weeks. So make sure they test for both.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I will make a slight amendment to subgod’s claim. They work quid pro quo on almost every decision.

One particular FDA agent I worked with introduced himself and promptly told me that we were breaking the law and he was going to spend the next two weeks finding the crime.
                            I was a regulator at one time (not in the FDA) but you get a 'gotcha' mentality that might be a little hard to lose if you ever go into private industry.

Having said that, you also get a little jaded. You work for a large pharma company, I worked in the biggest insurance companies in the U.S. as a regulator and quickly found out that MOST (but not all) large companies spend a lot of money trying to make sure their compliance and risk systems work to prevent reputational damage. This is not always the case, I remember when a regional claims manager for a very large insurance company (you would instantly recognize their name) got caught cutting corners on full roof losses - he would not pay for a full tear-off of shingles even though it was covered under their Homeowner's policy. A bunch of homeowners around Waco got together and drug this large company into court and they lost, during this time (and probably when their lawyers started looking at discovery evidence) they initiated an investigation and fired the individual in question.

I have more examples but not more time. Let's just say that most large companies are very mindful of their reputational risks and strive to do things right. I would assume that Pfizer is one of them (and I may be biased because my brother worked for Pfizer coordinating statistical testing information on veterinary medicines). There are always exceptions, but those are isolated incidents as opposed to purposeful business practices.
                            Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; December 9, 2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I was a regulator at one time (not in the FDA) but you get a 'gotcha' mentality that might be a little hard to lose if you ever go into private industry.

Having said that, you also get a little jaded. You work for a large pharma company, I worked in the biggest insurance companies in the U.S. as a regulator and quickly found out that MOST (but not all) large companies spend a lot of money trying to make sure their compliance and risk systems work to prevent reputational damage. This is not always the case, I remember when a regional claims manager for a very large insurance company (you would instantly recognize their name) got caught cutting corners on full roof losses - he would not pay for a full tear-off of shingles even though it was covered under their Homeowner's policy. A bunch of homeowners around Waco got together and drug this large company into court and they lost, during this time (and probably when their lawyers started looking at discovery evidence) they initiated an investigation and fired the individual in question.

I have more examples but not more time. Let's just say that most large companies are very mindful of their reputational risks and strive to do things right. I would assume that Pfizer is one of them (and I may be biased because my brother worked for Pfizer coordinating statistical testing information on veterinary medicines). There are always exceptions, but those are isolated incidents as opposed to purposeful business practices.
                              Well, I work with the FDA as part of my job. I don’t work with the director, but I do with the regional director out of KC and other auditors. When you have something they want, they work with you. When you have something you want, there is always a reason you can’t have it...until you produce something else they want, then the red tape magically disappears.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

sounds like you just need to wait another week and get tested again.

You IgG antibodies peak out at 3-4 weeks and then plateau for undetermined number of weeks. You IgM response is more time sensitive. It peaks out after 3 weeks and then drops off over the next 3 weeks. So make sure they test for both.
                                The Dillon's test did look for IgG and IgM. The pharmacist pointed out that there is nothing on either. Chalk it up to another Coronavirus or hypochondria or both. :)

Interestingly, I have seen accounts of people getting tested for Covid-19 and coming back positive for Covid-12,15.. can't remember the numbers specifically, but there are many "Covid's" circulating out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X