Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impact of Common Core Starting to be Felt

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Impact of Common Core Starting to be Felt

    First Common Core High School Grads Worst-Prepared For College In 15 Years

    https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/31...e-in-15-years/

    The class of 2019, the first to experience all four high school years under Common Core, is the worst-prepared for college in 15 years, according to a new report.

  • #2
    Firstly, the NAEP scores have basically been flat in recent years, and are actually up slightly from around 1990, per the graphs in the article itself. The blame isn't so much Common Core as it has been the obsession with data and standardized testing and the challenge with getting students to be engaged in their learning in school. You don't make a pig fatter by weighing it more often, you feed it better. Also, with the NAEP, there is absolutely no incentive for students to take it seriously, other than personal integrity. The one time I was in on an administration of the NAEP, we were required to make it clear to students that their performance on the exam has absolutely ZERO influence on their grades or ability to graduate. Guess how many students put real effort into the exam...

    The article is an interesting read, but by no means is it unbiased. But "unbiased" is a unicorn - no matter what, we all are biased towards our own viewpoints.

    I had to laugh at the comments. Most of them think we public school teachers are foisting a Communist conspiracy onto the youth of American though indoctrination. If I were actually able to indoctrinate my students it would be to pay attention in class and turn their work in on time, and I certainly am not 100% successful in that area.
    Last edited by ShockBand; October 31st, 2019, 11:29 AM.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

    Comment


    • #3
      The interesting thing about common core is that for some students that don’t get math by memorizing facts, the change in curriculum can help them understand. For others, it’s extra nonsensical steps in achieving the same answer. I don’t think one is better than the other. I think my son’s (elementary) school spends too much time on feelings and inclusivity. In fact, they spend so much time on it that 25% transferred after the curriculum changed. As a result, the smaller class size has gone from nearly failing to exceeding other local institutions. Now if they would just up the math and science time, we might see some real gains.
      Livin the dream

      Comment


      • #4
        My daughter's school (and will also be my son's school next year) also spends an extraordinary time on cultural and behavioral issues--teaching students to be kind to others, accepting, honest, and good citizens. I think teaching soft skills like that is great. It's unfortunate that schools have to do that, but I understand why. Our society in general has devolved to the point much of humanity is rude, awful, and judgmental, and it seems like schools have taken it upon themselves to teach kids what their parents refuse to do.

        At the same time, I think schools--especially the early grades--are cramming the STEM crap down kids' throats way too much. I've always seen K-12, again especially the early grades, as providing a well balanced education so students become well rounded individuals. College and trade school is for specialization. But schools are ditching the humanities (art, music, history, language), gym, and even things like shop and home ec at an alarmingly fast rate. I worry our kids are going to become well programmed robots who can add and subtract like a beast but who have no clue how to express themselves, who can't communicate in writing worth a damn, don't understand how or why history influences the present and future, can't work on their own cars, and who don't know how to stay physically active. Too much left brain, not enough right brain. A focus on rational at the expense of practical.

        Sorry, kind of off topic. In regards to common core, I haven't seen it first hand as my kids haven't gotten to that point in school yet. From what I've understood from doing my own research, and from what I've heard from friends who are teachers, the methodology is much different from previous curriculum, but not necessarily worse.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

        Comment


        • #5
          My kid took common core and doesn't know an asymptote from a hole-in-his-graph.
          Chuck Norris tells Coach Marshall jokes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            My kid took common core and doesn't know an asymptote from a hole-in-his-graph.
            Ha! Not in Kansas! Common Core was deemed a title from Lucifer himself! We lawyered the title up to KCCRS (Kansas College and Career Ready Standards).

            What really has been interesting in all the stuff that makes it onto social media is whether people really understand the academic intents of the standards, which mostly are centered on deeper levels of understanding, thinking critically, and problem solving skills, as opposed to being centered primarily on committing facts and such to memory. Now don't get me wrong, having some things committed to memory has its place, but memorization simply to get through a test or quiz does not necessarily translate to long term knowledge and more importantly, understanding.
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
              Ha! Not in Kansas! Common Core was deemed a title from Lucifer himself! We lawyered the title up to KCCRS (Kansas College and Career Ready Standards).
              Well to be fair, my kid is dumber than a box of dirty diapers. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I 'spose. Do they have a Right Below Common Core?
              Chuck Norris tells Coach Marshall jokes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

                Well to be fair, my kid is dumber than a box of dirty diapers. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I 'spose. Do they have a Right Below Common Core?
                Isn't Right Below Common Core a brew at Central Standard?
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

                  Well to be fair, my kid is dumber than a box of dirty diapers. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I 'spose. Do they have a Right Below Common Core?
                  BS Alarm! BS Alarm! BS Alarm!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                    My daughter's school (and will also be my son's school next year) also spends an extraordinary time on cultural and behavioral issues--teaching students to be kind to others, accepting, honest, and good citizens. I think teaching soft skills like that is great. It's unfortunate that schools have to do that, but I understand why. Our society in general has devolved to the point much of humanity is rude, awful, and judgmental, and it seems like schools have taken it upon themselves to teach kids what their parents refuse to do.

                    At the same time, I think schools--especially the early grades--are cramming the STEM crap down kids' throats way too much. I've always seen K-12, again especially the early grades, as providing a well balanced education so students become well rounded individuals. College and trade school is for specialization. But schools are ditching the humanities (art, music, history, language), gym, and even things like shop and home ec at an alarmingly fast rate. I worry our kids are going to become well programmed robots who can add and subtract like a beast but who have no clue how to express themselves, who can't communicate in writing worth a damn, don't understand how or why history influences the present and future, can't work on their own cars, and who don't know how to stay physically active. Too much left brain, not enough right brain. A focus on rational at the expense of practical.

                    Sorry, kind of off topic. In regards to common core, I haven't seen it first hand as my kids haven't gotten to that point in school yet. From what I've understood from doing my own research, and from what I've heard from friends who are teachers, the methodology is much different from previous curriculum, but not necessarily worse.
                    It might be a disagreement in volume, or even an agreement and we are getting different volumes. The first 45 minutes of the day is spent in large groups, small groups, partnered, or one on one talking about feelings. There is another 30 minute session twice a week in the afternoon. 30 minutes of art or music is provided everyday. 45 minutes of recess. 20 minutes for lunch and 10 minutes for snacks. No history until 4th grade. No science until 5th.

                    every 6 weeks I have to meet with the principal and speech pathologist to sign more forms than are in my mortgage because my second grader can’t say his “r”s.
                    Livin the dream

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wufan View Post

                      every 6 weeks I have to meet with the principal and speech pathologist to sign more forms than are in my mortgage because my second grader can’t say his “r”s.
                      OK, that's funny right there. Well played.

                      Anyway, agreed, that's over the top and unnecessary. But you know you have to do that because some idiot somewhere sued a school...
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                        From what I've understood from doing my own research, and from what I've heard from friends who are teachers, the methodology is much different from previous curriculum, but not necessarily worse.
                        Wait to you get to see the "lattice" method in math be taught….

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

                          OK, that's funny right there. Well played.

                          Anyway, agreed, that's over the top and unnecessary. But you know you have to do that because some idiot somewhere sued a school...
                          Yes, I understand the reason for it, but damn!
                          Livin the dream

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X