Student Loan Debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Loan Debt

An interesting way to fund college education.

John Stossel: Better Than a Loan

No doubt a bit too libertarian and free market to ever become widespread I suppose.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 23, 2019, 01:16 PM.

A wonder when student loans started to be more than tuition? Then it was tuition and books. Then it was extra. It's seemingly incomprehensible to live at home, or work to provide living needs for many students. Then they wonder why they're paying back a mortgage. We've created a generation of expectations that cannot be met. It's depressing.

Comment

Government handing out student loans like they are Tic-Tacs
      +
      The currently philosophy of everyone should go college, no matter the intelligence level (or lack there of)
      +
      Pursuing fields that will likely never see a return on investment
      =
      no wonder we are where we are.

I agree with Stossel. The crux of the matter is, despite what we hear in today’s culture, not everyone should go to college (including a lot of current/former students).
      Last edited by Shock Top; October 23, 2019, 12:09 PM.
      The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        Government handing out student loans like they are Tic-Tacs
        +
        The currently philosophy of everyone should go college, no matter the intelligence level (or lack there of)
        +
        Pursuing fields that will likely never see a return on investment
        =
        no wonder we are where we are.

I agree with Stossel. The crux of the matter is, despite what we here in today’s culture, not everyone should go to college (including a lot of current/former students).
        My father never attended college (said he couldn't afford it and wasn't smart enough) back in the day, but he was a successful entrepreneur/businessman... he had a dream and followed it (one might say he bet on himself). He always said he graduated magna cum laude from the school of hard knocks.

Probably not the right thread (sorry '72), but this is the reason I'm high on WSU Tech... it's a better choice for a lot of students.
        Walk-In Enrollment Happening NOW! Request Info Get Started

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

My father never attended college (said he couldn't afford it and wasn't smart enough) back in the day, but he was a successful entrepreneur/businessman... he had a dream and followed it (one might say he bet on himself). He always said he graduated magna cum laude from the school of hard knocks.

Probably not the right thread (sorry '72), but this is the reason I'm high on WSU Tech... it's a better choice for a lot of students.

Once people stop looking at vocational jobs as second-class and second-rate, and see them as an opportunity to become a business owner with solid income, the course will correct.

Hopefully, this will happen on day.
          The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

No, I think this does belong on this thread and I am totally with you regarding WSU Tech and vocational training and education. Again part of the John Bardo legacy.

Comment

as a libertarian, i love this idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Once people stop looking at vocational jobs as second-class and second-rate, and see them as an opportunity to become a business owner with solid income, the course will correct.

Hopefully, this will happen on day.
                I once saw Jay Leno talking about this on TV many years ago. He of course is a big car guy and has even given money to McPherson College’s auto restoration program. “Why is it that jobs where you get your hands dirty are beneath some people?”

In all truth and fairness, I was never talented with building or fixing things, so that was never a career path that I considered. That said, I have great respect for people with those sorts of skills.

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I once saw Jay Leno talking about this on TV many years ago. He of course is a big car guy and has even given money to McPherson College’s auto restoration program. “Why is it that jobs where you get your hands dirty are beneath some people?”

In all truth and fairness, I was never talented with building or fixing things, so that was never a career path that I considered. That said, I have great respect for people with those sorts of skills.
                  My dad's side of the family is very blue collar. I did not get the same mechanical aptitude genes and couldn't adequately do some of the things they do on a daily basis.

We need people like Jay Leno and Mike Roe in academia in some form.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

If you're told day in and day out that "you need to go to school to be better than them" from someone who works getting their hands dirty then what do you expect is going to happen after years of conditioning? Or is that as Royals alludes to "academias" fault?

Comment

If you can't understand the difference between a parent (I can't fathom who else you might be referring to in your analogy) giving advice and direction to THEIR child, and "academias" promoting their own, mostly government funded, welfare, then I doubt you can be a part of a serious conversation.

Comment

And by the way, if we're going to discuss fault, then it's the fault of the government (since 2009) that hands out college loans like candy on Halloween. It's "academias" fault for passing through too many students who have learned little or nothing and then handed them degrees that the students can't possibly turn into work. And it's the fault of society for demonizing honest work as a way up for those that don't have the desire or skills to obtain a career path that doesn't include some form of non-professional work.

It's also society's/government's fault for demanding that in the vein of "fairness" that student loans be given to people that clearly aren't capable of succeeding doing college work.

The colleges have been getting easy money, so all of their costs and rates have skyrocketed for no reason outside of greed (and the aforementioned easy money). It's their mess, let them clean it up.
                        Last edited by WuDrWu; October 25, 2019, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          If you can't understand the difference between a parent (I can't fathom who else you might be referring to in your analogy) giving advice and direction to THEIR child, and "academias" promoting their own, mostly government funded, welfare, then I doubt you can be a part of a serious conversation.
                          Yeah Doc. Thats exactly what schools are teaching our kids. In fact, I had my daughters parent teacher conference at Derby Middle last night and shes scoring straight A's in transgendering 101. After her holiday break she'll learn how to fill out welfare applications.

Id expound on my point but something tells me you'd miss it even if I drew a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            And by the way, if we're going to discuss fault, then it's the fault of the government (since 2009) that hands out college loans like candy on Halloween. It's "academias" fault for passing through too many students who have learned little or nothing and then handed them degrees that the students can't possibly turn into work. And it's the fault of society for demonizing honest work as a way up for those that don't have the desire or skills to obtain a career path that doesn't include some form of non-professional work.

It's also society's/government's fault for demanding that in the vein of "fairness" that student loans be given to people that clearly aren't capable of succeeding doing college work.

The colleges have been getting easy money, so all of their costs and rates have skyrocketed for no reason outside of greed (and the aforementioned easy money). It's their mess, let them clean it up.
                            I dont disagree with anything you said minus the bold part. That seems to be a pretty popular talking point largely from people who dont know **** about ****. Care to expand any more. I took out loans to get my bachelors in Business Administration - Human Resources with a minor in management. Does that meet your worthiness scale?

Comment

When did we start talking about primary education? The thread is student loans, which equates to secondary education.

Comment

Working...
                              X