No announcement yet.

Hutchinson Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studies in Canada showed that fracking was likely to be the causation of quakes while in the US, the studies showed waste water disposal from the fracking was more likely the culprit. Either way, their seems likely to be a strong correlation although, not to the degree of gravity :). Oklahoma has determined that if the waste water is disposed of carefully, they can minimize the probability and severity of quakes.

Comment

According to https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php it is not fracking causing induced earthquakes, rather wastewater disposal which also happens at non-fracking sites. And that depends on the injection rate and volume. Only 10% of wastewater injection systems are in fracking operations.

Fracking does cause 1-2% of the total number of induced earthquakes. Which means 98%-99% of the time it's a pure waste water disposal problem that may or may not have anything to do with fracking at all.
      Last edited by Kung Wu; August 21, 2019, 11:57 AM.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      According to https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php it is not fracking causing induced earthquakes, rather wastewater disposal which also happens at non-fracking sites. And that depends on the injection rate and volume. Only 10% of wastewater injection systems are in fracking operations.

Fracking does cause 1-2% of the total number of induced earthquakes. Which means 98%-99% of the time it's a pure waste water disposal problem that may or may not have anything to do with fracking at all.
      Here is another good article that talks about both naturally produced water and water (and chemicals) used in the fracking process. I think recycling of this water for reuse in fracking operations will become more and more common. The treatment and disposal of wasterwater in the oil & gas fields would seem to be a good midstream business opportunity for some enterprising entrepreneurs although it will take a lot of capital and technological know how.

Comment

Deep disposal wells from oil drilling in southern Kansas and northern Oklahoma are thought to be causing the shaking here in Hutchinson. Justin Rubinstein with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in San Francisco says they are seeing the same thing. “This pressure is migrating northward from the border area,” Rubinstein said. “The most plausible explanation is that these fluid pressures are rising and, for whatever reason, this particular area (southwest of Hutchinson) is more prone to have earthquakes.”
        The shaking with the quakes in the Hutchinson area is much quicker and violent than those occurring in southern Kansas and northern Oklahoma.

“When you’re really close to an earthquake, you feel the highest frequency. That’s why you have this very rapid shaking and ending very quickly,” Rubinstein added. “For these earthquakes you’re feeling from Harper and Sumner counties as well as further south in Oklahoma, those earthquakes are a lot further away and so those high frequencies start going away, but you still have the lower frequency, so it’s more of a rolling motion.”
        The first one of these near Hutch was a couple of years ago. My wife and I both thought either there was an explosion nearby or a car crashed into our house. That's how quick and loud it was.

Comment

So what the USGS is saying is that the closer you are to an earthquake, the stronger the shake? And the further away you are, the less shaking? Seriously, could some of these government employees possibly keep a private sector job?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            So what the USGS is saying is that the closer you are to an earthquake, the stronger the shake? And the further away you are, the less shaking? Seriously, could some of these government employees possibly keep a private sector job?
            USGS is pretty solid from technical side. They are data driven, not emotionally driven and actually have a lot of great products .

I am sure they would rather be discussing the P and S waves, but I doubt their audience could handle much more science than that.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

USGS is pretty solid from technical side. They are data driven, not emotionally driven and actually have a lot of great products .

I am sure they would rather be discussing the P and S waves, but I doubt their audience could handle much more science than that.
              What happened to Q and R?
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                Cdizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                They were already claimed by the ECG folks.

It's all very confusing.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
              X