Grammar Police - Please Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammar Police - Please Advise

OK - simple question for those of you grammar-police types out there. Having a battle of wits on this one, and don't want to lose.
    Which of the following two sentences is grammatically correct, and why?

1 - "Go Shockers!"

2 - "Go, Shockers!"

Simple enough...thanks for your help.

Number 1 is correct.

Comment

It is a singular declarative statement. Nothing to tie together or pause with, a comma.

Comment

depends on whether u want them to leave:topsy_turvy:
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Was told that #2 was actually correct -- as the sentence is an example of a "noun of direct address." As in:

'Sit down, Coach.'

Thoughts?

Comment

#2 may actually be correct. My reason is as follows:

Let's assume that we use a different declarative phrase, in this case "Eat lamb." In this case, the phrase would not be directing the lamb to eat, but rather the understood you to eat the lamb. It would be necessary to write "Eat, lamb." to indicate that the speaker is directing the lamb to eat.

Another example of this in practice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go,_Dog._Go!.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by sdshox View Post
              Thanks for the input.

Was told that #2 was actually correct -- as the sentence is an example of a "noun of direct address." As in:

'Sit down, Coach.'

Thoughts?
              Double checking with The Chicago Manual of Style confirms that this is the correct approach.

That said, the particular phrase in question is not one that would create any ambiguity of meaning with the comma left out.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                Double checking with The Chicago Manual of Style confirms that this is the correct approach.

That said, the particular phrase in question is not one that would create any ambiguity of meaning with the comma left out.
                This
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

"Creighton sucks" is grammatically correct and always in good standing for use. :glee:
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                    "Creighton sucks" is grammatically correct and always in good standing for use. :glee:
                    This is also correct.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                    Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Working...
                    X