Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other than football, what Men’s sport would you like to see at Wichita State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After seeing the Shocks struggle to compete in both men's and women's golf in the AAC (notwithstanding Taryn's Torgerson's individual championship last year) I am beginning to think that perhaps men's and women's soccer may well be better options from a competitive standpoint than golf. The Shocker men have finished last in the AAC both last year and this year (and it wasn't close) and after a 5th place finish last year by the women carried by Taryn's record setting performance the Shock fell to 9th out of 10 teams this year (only 1 shot out of last place). Furthermore the 1 men's golfer and the 2 women golfers that were somewhat competitive this year have completed their eligibility so it's hard to see this changing in the next couple of years.

Thankfully, golf doesn't generate much, if any, revenue so these poor performances are of little consequence other than a blow to Shocker pride. It is looking to me like both men's and women's golf may be the 2 Shocker sports that will have the most trouble competing in the AAC although it has only been 2 years. By contrast Shocker golf was perennially at the top of the heap in the Valley. The Shocks will no doubt have very good golfers on their teams from time to time but building the quality depth might be a challenge. I suspect our late winter/ealry spring weather doesn't make this any easier. The Shocks are done with the season just as the weather is starting to warm up.

From a competitive standpoint the Shockers would probably be better off with men's & women's soccer in place of the golf teams but the scholarship loads (a combined 23.9 for soccer vs a combined 10.5 for golf) and perhaps travels cost are perhaps quite a bit more as well although the golf team is gone for at least 3 days at a time and have no home tournaments. Plus the only thing going on in the fall is volleyball and XC. In the Spring we have baseball, softball, tennis, track & field and golf. However, soccer has the potential to generate much more revenue than golf. So not sure how these would compare financially on a net basis. That said I am not expecting any changes forthcoming soon but if I'm the Shocker AD I probably at least would be giving this some thought.

It's not that I am anti-golf. I'm not. I'm just wondering what makes the most sense for WSU as a member of the AAC.

Comment

• wusphlash
      wusphlash commented
      Editing a comment
      Golf is cheap. Low headcount, little equipment. I think golf needs some time to reap team benefits of playing an American schedule. Also, need to see what Grier's departure means.

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      I pointed at the golf is less costly. But it also pretty much generates zero revenues. The problem is golf really does not play an American schedule. They pretty much play in the same tournaments they have always played in and then at the end of the year they play in the AAC Championship Tournament instead of the MVC Championship Tournament. Men's Soccer does play a 7-game AAC regular season schedule and Women's Soccer plays a 9-game AAC schedule currently plus the Conference Championship Tournament.

The good thing about golf is, from a financial standpoint, it really doesn't matter whether there is any fan interest. So there is no real pressure to be competitive although that does have the feel of a participation sport.

I know it’s not a new sport, but I’ll go down swinging to say that I believe we need a state of the art track and field stadium - one that showcases our campus to 1000’s of high school track athletes, their parents and their families every May. WSU is missing a golden opportunity to do an easy campus visit to many In-State high school kids. Theoretically, it could increase enrollment. (Maybe that stadium could double for soccer too).

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      I've made similar comments in the past about the annual high school track meet being a showcase for WSU; it makes too much sense. I can't tell you how many 'out of town' people have told me that WSU is missing the boat with that eyesore. Not a big fan of soccer, but I'm old...

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
    I know it’s not a new sport, but I’ll go down swinging to say that I believe we need a state of the art track and field stadium - one that showcases our campus to 1000’s of high school track athletes, their parents and their families every May. WSU is missing a golden opportunity to do an easy campus visit to many In-State high school kids. Theoretically, it could increase enrollment. (Maybe that stadium could double for soccer too).
    I don't necessarily disagree with your point of view on this. But the key term is golden opportunity. In other words do we have enough coinage of the realm to make something like that happen. A combo soccer/track facility sounds good if they have the footprint to make that work. Might be some time before something like this would take place if it ever does.

Comment

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      You can make a soccer pitch fit in a track of course, but it leaves a little to be desired in terms of the fan experience. It's not awful, but it's far from ideal. A dual use soccer + lacrosse facility makes a ton of sense though.

Despite the feeling of some, soccer is in fact a growing sport in this country. It may never be the top dog, but it will solidify itself if it has not already. The Major League Soccer expansion fees are nearing $200M and that would not happen without positive growth. The women's professional side is not near as strong, but it does exist. With the number of leagues all over the world, it is a sport that can allow for some decent post graduate opportunities.

There was also a time when Kansas and the Wichita metro area was producing a number of Division One soccer players. I no longer have my pulse on that aspect, but having a local program could help generate some more interest and there has been a bit of a decline on kids participating in football since all of the concussion news came out a few years back.

I would not be a fan of a track/soccer combo if we were going to spend the money to build something. Both would actually be better off separate and as Kung Wu pointed out, soccer could actually benefit from a more intimate setting where the crowd is closer to the field as opposed to being pushed far from the action with a track between them and the field. Not great for trying to generate interest and fun.
    The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

If we're going to consider primitive sports like soccer, why not include land diving and fire walking?

For the halftime show we can hire Cobra Gypsies.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        After seeing the Shocks struggle to compete in both men's and women's golf in the AAC (notwithstanding Taryn's Torgerson's individual championship last year) I am beginning to think that perhaps men's and women's soccer may well be better options from a competitive standpoint than golf. The Shocker men have finished last in the AAC both last year and this year (and it wasn't close) and after a 5th place finish last year by the women carried by Taryn's record setting performance the Shock fell to 9th out of 10 teams this year (only 1 shot out of last place). Furthermore the 1 men's golfer and the 2 women golfers that were somewhat competitive this year have completed their eligibility so it's hard to see this changing in the next couple of years.

Thankfully, golf doesn't generate much, if any, revenue so these poor performances are of little consequence other than a blow to Shocker pride. It is looking to me like both men's and women's golf may be the 2 Shocker sports that will have the most trouble competing in the AAC although it has only been 2 years. By contrast Shocker golf was perennially at the top of the heap in the Valley. The Shocks will no doubt have very good golfers on their teams from time to time but building the quality depth might be a challenge. I suspect our late winter/ealry spring weather doesn't make this any easier. The Shocks are done with the season just as the weather is starting to warm up.

From a competitive standpoint the Shockers would probably be better off with men's & women's soccer in place of the golf teams but the scholarship loads (a combined 23.9 for soccer vs a combined 10.5 for golf) and perhaps travels cost are perhaps quite a bit more as well although the golf team is gone for at least 3 days at a time and have no home tournaments. Plus the only thing going on in the fall is volleyball and XC. In the Spring we have baseball, softball, tennis, track & field and golf. However, soccer has the potential to generate much more revenue than golf. So not sure how these would compare financially on a net basis. That said I am not expecting any changes forthcoming soon but if I'm the Shocker AD I probably at least would be giving this some thought.

It's not that I am anti-golf. I'm not. I'm just wondering what makes the most sense for WSU as a member of the AAC.
        So who do you think has a better chance of graduating from WSU, earning a nice paycheck, and giving back to the university?

This guy?

Or this one?

T

...:cool:

Comment

A little off base but how would people feel about football if, after a few years, the AAC came and said " Thanks WSU, but if you don't field a football team you need to find a new home".
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

If that happens I feel we would need to figure a way to come up with the coin. Or hope for an invite to the east

Comment

My biggest fear for the University would be another major shakeup of the landscape or the American and us getting left behind because we do not have football.

Regardless of that, I do think soccer would be a wise and valuable addition.
              The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

Working...
              X