Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other than football, what Men’s sport would you like to see at Wichita State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other than football, what Men’s sport would you like to see at Wichita State?

Soccer
    44.74%
    Wrestling
    10.53%
    Swimming
    5.26%
    Lacrosse
    15.79%
    None or other
    23.68%

Hockey

Comment

• shoxlax
      shoxlax commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought about that but I thought issues such as facilities, competing with basketball, and who our opponents would be left too many questions in my head.

• WheatShock
      WheatShock commented
      Editing a comment
      An on campus facility would be nice to have, but games and practice could be held at the ice center until that happened sometime down the road. Getting a doubleheader with the Thunder at IBA every once in a while would be fun too.

As far as opponents Neb. Omaha has a program and I think there are 3 D1 programs in Colorado so we wouldn't be a complete geographic outlier. For conferences the NCHC makes the most sense but that means getting murdered by North Dakota and Denver a few times a year.

Baseball

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      I was looking for this answer in the list.

Did you say I couldn’t just go ahead and vote football anyway?

Comment

• shoxlax
      shoxlax commented
      Editing a comment
      No!

I really thought we would have somebody vote for wrestling. I think they could field a decent team from this area alone.

Comment

I’m surprised there’s not more votes for lacrosse.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        I really thought we would have somebody vote for wrestling. I think they could field a decent team from this area alone.
        I'll give a vote for wrestling. Good sport. I had a really good coach in middle school. I wasn't very good but learned a lot from him.
        78-65

Comment

There are 76 D1 wrestling programs and 71 D1 LAX programs and 205 D1 men's soccer programs. 1/3 of college wrestling programs have average attendance over 1,000 about the same for LAX with Navy, averaging 3,800 per home game as the leader. Only 32 men's soccer programs averaged over 1,000 fans per home game in men's soccer. In short, either three of these sports would do better than our baseball program :)

Comment

Interesting thread. I would vote Wrestling due to the fact that we are in wrestling country and Kansas is the only state in the area that doesn't field a D1 team. Will we be the next Oklahoma State or Iowa? Nope! But there is enough talent in the state to be a too 25 squad with an individual national championship from time to time.

Comment

I vote for Lacrosse. You get to wear helmets and carry sticks. More scoring than soccer and the players don’t roll on the ground after a touch/imagined foul.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
              I vote for Lacrosse. You get to wear helmets and carry sticks. More scoring than soccer and the players don’t roll on the ground after a touch/imagined foul.
              When I watch Lacrosse on TV, I don't think to myself "wow, those are elite athletes." I get why it's gaining popularity though as it's a more inclusive team sport that doesn't require elite athletes to be successful. That's a good thing IMO, especially at the high school level. However, as a paying spectator or to watch on the television, no thanks. It just doesn't captivate me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                Just happy you didn’t say Men’s Beach Volleyball

Comment

Bandy
                  Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Your are really asking what Men's and Women's sports would you like to see at Wichita State because you aren't adding any men's sports unless you add a more or less equivalent women's sport.

For now I am in the none category. Let's see how we compete in the AAC over a period of time and how that impacts our finances and perhaps individual programs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Your are really asking what Men's and Women's sports would you like to see at Wichita State because you aren't adding any men's sports unless you add a more or less equivalent women's sport.

For now I am in the none category. Let's see how we compete in the AAC over a period of time and how that impacts our finances and perhaps individual programs.

I am surprised that Lamb hasn't pushed for Beach Volleyball here. I thought he would really be in favor of that. Perhaps it isn't as important to recruits as the message boards and media make it out to be.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think Lambo would be in favor of it . Not sure how hard he has or would push too hard at this point though. Not sure there are enough programs that have it to make a big impact on recruiting. But it couldn't hurt.
                    Working...
                    X