Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• football team refuses to come back on field after refs call

Is this what we have come to? 8)
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Re: football team refuses to come back on field after refs c

Originally posted by kcshocker11
    Our society is about coddling and building self esteem, even if it means rewarding mediocre behavior. There is study of done by on incoming freshman and the data was publicized in "Generation Me" by SD St professor.

shows that college students and others their age are more self-centered — narcissistic even — than past generations. Now she's turned up data showing that they also feel more superior about themselves than their elders did when they were young.
    This guy then wrote about this generation as follows:

1. Generation Direct — On the TV teen soap, The O.C., a father chides his son with “Watch your mouth. I was trying to be polite. You might want to give it a try.” The son’s response? “No thanks. I’d rather be honest.” Being open, almost guileless, is preferred; even if others might interpret it as rudeness. It’s about being true to yourself. Or, as the t-shirts proclaim: It’s all about me. This candour has found a ready outlet in online networks like Facebook where every social and sexual burp in life is readily shared with lots of strangers.

2. Generation Self-Esteem — The guilt here lies primarily with the boomers, the folks who enshrined the concept of self-esteem into education and child-raising. Many schools have “specific programs to increase children’s self-esteem, most of which actually build self-importance and narcissism.” Kids need to feel good about themselves. Some educators don’t want to disturb that feeling by actually correcting mistakes in class. Inflated grades and independent spelling are two by-products of the self-esteem movement. When these bump against the reality of quality control at college or on the job, Generation Me is genuinely surprised — and who can blame them?

3. Generation Entitlement — The cocoon of self-centredness has left young people feeling that they deserve everything right away. Interns expect positions where they’ll be given plenty of responsibility from the beginning. Earlier this week, a PR agency VP told me about her surprise at the lofty short-term ambitions of some of her staff. It’s tough to manage expectations of employees who have never encountered the quaint concept of ‘paying your dues’.

4. Generation Thin-Skin — Generation Me doesn’t respond well to criticism. In many cases, it has never been part of their upbringing. They feel they can’t do wrong. So, when the boss rips into them about a half-effort on the job, they’re devastated. In the past, most people have complimented them on their efforts — no matter how shoddy or lazy those efforts might actually be. (You would think watching Donald Trump and Simon Cowell on reality TV would have prepared them!)

5. Generation Dream-the-Impossible-Dream — “You can be whatever you want to be.” “Never give up on your dream.” “Nothing is impossible.” Coupled with the concept of entitlement, this can be a potent brew. I see it first-hand in applicants who really want to work in public relations but can’t write. No one ever drew the problem to their attention, so they never made much effort to work on it or strengthen it Once again, everything was fine until pesky reality intervened.

6. Generation Get-an-Education — There’s more pressure than ever to get a good education. A degree is no guarantee to a career. In fact, that’s why there are so many graduate certificate programs in community colleges. But it’s often still not enough. Generation Me may have learned they can be whatever they want to be, but just what is that exactly? Many agonize over finding the right profession. It’s an agony that prevents them from finding any profession. Of course, there’s always another academic credential and another extended stay at home.

7. Generation Don’t-Want-To-Be-Bored — Skills help prepare students for the workplace. But what prepares them emotionally? The cult of self-esteem, plus the prevalence of film & TV characters (and the actors themselves!) in exciting jobs, sets Generation Me up for a fall. Job descriptions and salary expectations often can’t match the inspired expectations that have been cultivated.

8. Generation It’s-Not-My-Fault — This starts early when GenMe kids discover how often their shortcomings in school are blamed on their teachers. It’s always external forces at work. And so, the victim mentality is nurtured.

9. Generation Tough-to-Make-a-Living — Yes, the GenMe has high expectations, but some of it is justified. Economically, it’s much harder today to get a career started. Whopping student debts, whopping house prices and whopping child care fees have created hurdles the boomers generally didn’t face. My first house cost two-and-half times my annual salary. How many entry-level practitioners can pull that off today? The pricetag on my first car was 40 per cent of my salary. Again, not so easily done today. We boomers have a tendency to set our own historical measuring sticks up against today’s reality.

10. Generation Can’t-Change-a-Thing — Here’s where the It’s-All-About-Me-I-Can-Do-Anything syndrome encounters a dichotomy. For all the self-confidence, there is also a cynicism that most things are beyond their control. So, why bother. Why bother to work hard at finding a job; it just comes down to being in the right place at the right time. Why bother to work hard for a promotion; it’s who you know, not what you know. Why bother to vote; my single ballot will influence nothing.

Comment

Working...
    X