Hardcore computer geeks GTFIH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardcore computer geeks GTFIH!

Anyone into high-end graphics, overclocking, etc?

Let's discuss it here.

OK... what about it would you like to discuss?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
        Oh my- my clock speed just went up! 8)
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Yipes, Stripes, Beechnut Gum!
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Re: Hardcore computer geeks GTFIH!

Originally posted by RampageWSU

Let's discuss it here.
            Want upgrade from my dual 4850's but I have lost interest in the graphics world and am not sure if I need to, is there something out there that I should upgrade for. I guess BF3 is coming out but I should be able to run it to max on my current set up.

My processor is good, only like 2.7 Quad Core but not gonna mess with it at the moment.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Next box I build going to core the core I7/I5 route.

What kind of hard drives are you running?

Eventually probably going to need a terabit drive.

Comment

Re: Hardcore computer geeks GTFIH!

Originally posted by wsushox1
                Originally posted by RampageWSU

Let's discuss it here.
                Want upgrade from my dual 4850's but I have lost interest in the graphics world and am not sure if I need to, is there something out there that I should upgrade for. I guess BF3 is coming out but I should be able to run it to max on my current set up.

My processor is good, only like 2.7 Quad Core but not gonna mess with it at the moment.
                I'm running a I7-950. I lost interest in overclocking. I had too many heat\cooling issues and was going through too many CPUs. Plus what I wanted from a computer had changed. Not so much of a hot rod but still really good performance and good reliability. So I put in enough memory(12 GB) to get ahead of the bloated OS and browser and desktop requirements for a little while. A TB SATA HD that is OK, nothing special but fair transfer rates of 3GB/SEC. (HDs and memory are relatively dirt cheap).

I've got two 5770s in crossfire mode on a ASUS Sabertooth X58 MB(love that name). The 5770s looked like a good value\performance option at the time and supported DX11. Game makers only started to really embrace DX11 in the last year and most of these games are still playable in DX9 you just miss a few of the bells and whistles. I think multi-threading and DDR5 support?

I think the only reason to upgrade from 4850s might be for DX11 which is only available Vista and Win7 in the MS world. Like I said a lot of the newer games like Civ 5 and Dues EX and many other newer games are better with DX11. I wouldn't have done my last build if my MB hadn't went south and I found myself way behind the curve tech wise, but I was fairly happy and my computer did what I wanted. Now this system does almost everything very quickly but I'm still looking for ways to play a few games.

Comment

I've got a question ATI or Nvidia? I've got too much invested to change right now. But what are you using and why. I went ATI and never looked back. When the 9700 first came out and it was the smoking video card for time. It remained the number one video card for longer than any other that I can remember, as i recall over a year, forever in computer time.

Comment

Consider swapping your SATA HD with a Sata 6 SSD. They run cool and are really fast! It's a speed versus storage tradeoff. Sounds like you favor speed over storage?
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I was even going to add into my post that I don't need Direct X 11 at the moment so I'm not to concerned about upgrading.

Comment

I'm currently running:

i7-2600k at 5.10 Ghz, 1.51 v

Only running an HD 6870 currently, as I have my HD 6990 out to XFX for RMA. :(

Probably going to put it under water when it gets back.

Comment

Working...
                        X