No announcement yet.

Should KU & KSU join the MVC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A while back I had posted that the SEC assessed no exit fees if a school wanted to leave. Somebody asked for a link, which, at the time, I didn't have. Aargh had mentioned that he had read the Big XII's bylaws, so I decided to find and read the SEC bylaws. There is nothing in the entire document on assessing any exit fees. There are rules on how to fine teams for infractions, eligibility rules, membership rules, rules on the distribution of television funds and everytthing else. But if a member institution wants to leave, they can without penalty. Here is the exit procedure verbatim:

3.1 MEMBERSHIP, TERMINATION, SUSPENSION AND DUES
    *3.1.1 Number of Members. The number of members of the Conference shall be set by the Chief Executive Officers.
    [Revised 5/30/91]
    *3.1.2 Granting of Membership. Membership may be granted by invitation of the Conference at a regular or called
    meeting. A three-fourths vote of members is required to extend an invitation for membership. [Revised 5/30/91]
    *3.1.3 Suspension of Membership. Two-thirds of the membership may vote to suspend a member at any time, either
    indefinitely or for a stated period, for any conduct deemed to be incompatible with membership.
    *3.1.4 Termination of Membership. Membership may be terminated at a regular meeting, either by resignation or by
    action of the Conference through a vote of two-thirds of the members. If termination is voted by the Conference, the
    Conference shall determine the effective date of the termination.

*3.1.5 Dues. The annual dues of each member of the Conference shall be fifty dollars, payable each year on request by the
    Commissioner.

No school, competitive or otherwise, wants to leave the SEC. They don't have to attempt to retain membership with a threat of penalties. It really bodes the question, what is so wrong with the Big XII that they need to assess exit fees?

SEC bylaws link: http://sec.xosdigitallabs.com/Portal...nstitution.pdf
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCSCat
      This has been a fun thread to read the last few days. Who knows where this will all end up but most K-Staters are of the opinion that we will end up in a BCS conference despite what our boobie loving (and who can argue that boobies aren't something to love) friend John seems to think. I do have a couple of questions for you John, if you don't mind my asking.

Why post all this here on Shockernet? Why not come over to GoPowercat and have the same discussion. With the Rivals 7 day trial it won't cost you a thing and you could discuss all your "facts" about how K-State is a non-player in the conference alignment mess.

Here are my facts for you:

Series football record against Texas:

Nebraska 4-10 all time, 1-9 Big XII.
      Kansas State 6-5 all time, 5-2 Big XII.

The facts show NU a loser against Texas, KSU is not.

Oh, and that Kansas athletic program that out spends K-State by so much?
      The one that is soooooo much more important than K-State nationally?
      During the 2010-2011 season that powerhouse uk2 program was 1-12 against K-State in head to head competition:

K-STATE (12) vs. KANSAS (1)
      Football: K-State 59-7
      Volleyball: K-State 3-1, K-State 3-2
      Rowing: K-State 13-6
      Men’s basketball: Kansas 90-66, K-State 84-68
      Women’s basketball: K-State 65-60, K-State 56-51
      Women’s tennis: K-State 5-2, K-State 4-1
      Baseball: K-State, 11-10, K-State 13-9, K-State 10-6

And, since this is the WSU board, how about that beat down NU suffered against the Shockers in the NIT? You know, the NU men's basketball program that has never, ever won a game in the NCAA tournament?

But, I can understand why NU would want to leave the Big XII. Losing to Texas every year must be hard to stomach.
      All this coming from this guy?

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
      Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• This is not good news for the Big 12:

Comment

• This is not good news for the Big 12:

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John
            Nebraska 15-76-3 .176
            Is that a misprint? Cuz if not ...
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu
              Originally posted by MoValley John
              Nebraska 15-76-3 .176
              Is that a misprint? Cuz if not ...
              No. Not a misprint. I knew that the Nebraska and the Oklahoma records would be lopsided, but that just floored me.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Chip Brown says Bye bye to Oklahoma.

Comment

• And now KU is retaining their right to sue the SEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock
                    And now KU is retaining their right to sue the SEC.
                    I don't see if Oklahoma leaves for the Pac, how anyone can successfully sue the SEC. The instability was in the conference long before aTm left. The SEC has done everything by the book, and in fact, by not allowing aTm in without the waiver, they have more than stated that they are not willing to admit a team, or further add to the instability of the conference. If OU applies, and the Pac accepts them, I think the threat of a lawsuit evaporates. The Big XII will also be dead.

Comment

• Part of me is hoping the Big 12 survives with KU, KSU, ISU, Baylor, Tech and Texas. I'll say 0U and OSU leave together and MU goes somewhere as they desperately want out. Then they add Houston, Memphis, Tulsa and Colorado State. That would give them 10, but they wouldn't be nearly as strong. It'd be interesting to watch them lose their status while trying to hold on to it. Not sure who else they'd add to make it 12 or replace one of the ones mentioned. New Mexico? SMU? I know they want Arkansas.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I really don't understand why any Big 12 school is thinking about going west with the huge time zone difference, splitting revenue with 15 other teams equally and just the wear and tear of traveling for the non-revenue sports and the costs associated with that. What is the matter with them? Are they so pissed off at UT and their network that they can't see their nose for their face? The whole thing makes no sense on so many levels to me.

I also wonder where ESPN is in all this. They have so much money tied up is all the conferences that they must be trying to influence schools like OU.

My fear is that we will no longer have what the Big 6/7/8/12 has been for 70 years - a major conference of schools in "our" area of the country. I really do think most, if not all, of the current big 12 will end up in a BCS conference but there will no longer be an exclusive (except for CU) central time zone conference.

As far as K-State goes if the Big 12 dies the general consensus is that we end up in a western division of the Big East with KU, MU, ISU, TCU and others. Sure would be a great basketball conference. Football would have 2 8 team regionally aligned divisions

Or maybe, as many people claim, OU is just posturing to gain as many concessions from UT as possible. In which case, um, never mind.

Comment

I really don't understand why any Big 12 school is thinking about going west with the huge time zone difference, splitting revenue with 15 other teams equally and just the wear and tear of traveling for the non-revenue sports and the costs associated with that. What is the matter with them?
                          Because it was a conference put together to fail. It was not built on trust, but greed. The Big 8 was greedy to add Texas, it was a windfall. And Texas has run roughshod over the rest of the league. There is nothing fair about how decisions are made, the league is controlled by Texas and Texas fans are proud to say that Dan Beebe does whatever Deloss Dodds says. Do you really think a power like Oklahoma is going to want to be in a league where they produce a ton of revenue, play for national championships, but all decisions come out of Austin? With that, the teams that have the ability to shop, are, those that don't, are instead begging Texas to save them. Maybe they should instead side with Oklahoma and their concerns.

speaking of Dan Beebe, as brilliant as this ass clown is, when Oklahoma announced they were looking at all options, Dan Beebe called a meeting of all schools EXCLUDING Oklahoma. If you are a competent mediator, the last thing you want to do is EXCLUDE the members that are disgruntled. He did this with Colorado, Nebraska, aTm and now, Oklahoma. Yeah, lets keep the league together but NOT listen to the members that are upset....

Comment

• I saw a quote, can't remember who to attribute it to but it was along the lines of:

How many conferences will Texas destroy? Answer - any they join.

Deloss Dodds recruited me when he was the K-State track/XC coach and I really was impressed with him way back then. Sucks that he is the UT AD.

Comment

I saw a quote, can't remember who to attribute it to but it was along the lines of:

How many conferences will Texas destroy? Answer - any they join.

Deloss Dodds recruited me when he was the K-State track/XC coach and I really was impressed with him way back then. Sucks that he is the UT AD.
                              Regarding the downfall pf the Big XII, here is a comment from a North Carolina fan, I think it's pretty close to the problem:

Conferences are there to help and promote each other. The top teams NEED the bottom teams to provide competition and games. The bottom teams need the top teams to then supplement their revenue in exchange for their services.

Take the SEC. Kentucky serves as conference doormat in football, while the rest of the conference serves as their doormat in hoops. BUT, they all share equally in revenue so that as each schools fortunates ON THE FIELD and AT THE LEDGER edd and flow each year they share and share alike. All schools experience some glory from success because their gates and merchandizing goes up, their portion of what they keep is up or down ...... but the pooled money is shared equally. All TV revenue and the like is shared because it takes both sides of the equation to make the conference tick. Without Vandy, Florida can't succeed and vice-versa.

Yes, Texas deserves to make all it can make, but as the top dog in the Big 12 it needed to realize that it's success raised the entire conferences profile. However, without the other teams (be it Oklahoma, Missouri or even Iowa St) at least some of Texas' success was limited. The Big 12 wasn't the Big 12 if you only had 6 teams or the other schools were so bad the rest of the NCAA had no respect for them at all.

The reason for the conference instability and programs jumping ship was the Big 12 financial model. ZERO TEAMS have left the Big 10, PAC -12, SEC or ACC to date. And the only reason the Big East is also targeted is the whole basketball only membership vs dual membership thing.

You can't deny that at the end of the day, the Big 12 was targeted for a reason and that reason was inequality of revenue sharing. Fair to Texas or not, that model is the standard in other conferences.
                              [/color]

Needless to say, Texas fans thought this was ridiculous.

Comment

• I know the old Hitler in the bunker from the movie Downfall is cliche'. I know it's been used over and over again. Usually, when I see these posted, I ignore them, but this one is really pretty funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X