Should KU & KSU join the MVC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should KU & KSU join the MVC?

Now that it looks like the B12 is finished, KU, KSU, MU, and ISU appear to be left with no where to go. From what I've read, their options are B-East, MWC, or pray for the B12 to stay together. I'm afraid those don't look good, or in some cases possible. So I'm thinking, why not the MVC?

Consider...
    - the remaining B12 leftovers won't be able to form a BCS AQ conference. They won't have all the B12 payout to fund their football teams. Their budgets would no doubt be cut dramatically.
    - Even if they could slip into the B-East, the travel would be ridiculous. Can you imagine sending your women's softball team 1500 miles to Providence? Sounds expensive to me.
    - Same problem with the MWC with road trips to Fresno and San Diego. Or Conf USA going to Greenville North Carolina and Orlando.

I'd propose these four join the MVC for all sports except football. Let them do whatever they want in football. They could form their own little pact to play each other and BYU, buy two or three games, and get bought a couple of times a year. I believe this is just what BYU is doing by withdrawing from the MWC and joining the WCC in everything except football.

If we add those four to the MVC, I think we'd pretty much secure the 7th rated conference for the forseeable future which should get us multiple bids every year. The four former B12's would have an affordable option for the rest of their athletic programs. Plus there would be a lot of natural rivalries, and we'd be playing KU & KSU again in basketball.

I know all those guys are very unhappy right now and justifiably so. And I kind of feel bad for them... getting kicked to mid-major status against your will really sucks. But at somepoint you're going to have to address reality, and I'm not so sure this is such a bad option for them. Thoughts?

KU will find a home because of their basketball - and every conference needs a bottom-feeder in FB to beat up on. KU will find a home in a BCS conference. Missouri is borderline.

KSU and ISU would fit into the Valley quite nicely. They both just barely pulled out wins AT HOME over Eastern Kentucky and Northern Iowa - that's Valley level FB at its finest. Iowa State has had a habit of losing to the MVC schools from Iowa. KSU might as well join the Valley. They're not going to get enough from any of the conferences that could accept them to offset the travel costs of joining those leagues.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I agree with Aargh that KU will be picked up by a BCS league because of their basketball program.

I think it is more likely that Kansas State, Iowa State, and Missouri go to the Mountain West Conference. With the addition of those 3 teams and the loss of TCU, that would put the MWC at 10 football schools.

Ideally, I would like to see the MWC then add some non-football members, with WSU and CU being obvious choices. Even with the loss of BYU, the Mountain West is a quality basketball conference (4th in conference RPI last year) and those addition would make for a very strong basketball conference moving forward.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

If they're gonna join another league for football, they aren't gonna separate their other sports out just to be in the Valley.

As Aargh already mentioned, KSU and ISU already field I-AA level football teams that just happen to play in BCS conferences. They actually might find themselves more competitive in the MVFC.

But in reality, this would NEVER happen. I do agree that both KSU and ISU will be delegated somewhere outside the great BCS, BSCat will be forced to change his retarded name, and everything ends up like peaches and cream again.

I give or take 3 years on the existence of the Not-So-Big 12.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

They would never join the Valley. They would join the Mountain West, Conference USA or Big East before they would even consider the Valley

Comment

Unfortunately for KU, the re-alignment activities have shown us this, NO CARES ABOUT BASKETBALL!
            What should have everyone in the big 12 worried, other than those that are good in football, and have national appeal, is that if you aren't in, you are out! Period. Football rules and NOTHING else matters.
            If KU thinks it is in any way important because of their prestigious basketball history, they are about to get a very rude awakening. They may think they are too good to join the valley, when the truth is; they are not good enough to go anywhere else with respect to a BCS conference. They whored themselves out to OU and Texas, and now that those two are finding greener pastures; they could not care less about KU.

KSU and ISU remaining anywhere near a BCS conference, child, please!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
              I give or take 3 years on the existence of the Not-So-Big 12.
              Wayyy less at this point.
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Where would Baylor go? Not that anyone cares.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                  I would guess Conference USA, but I suppose they could end up in the Mountain West. I can't really think of a better fit for them than those two (unless of course a new conference if formed with the former Big 12 teams and plus teams from some other conferences in the region).
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                    I would guess Conference USA, but I suppose they could end up in the Mountain West. I can't really think of a better fit for them than those two (unless of course a new conference if formed with the former Big 12 teams and plus teams from some other conferences in the region).
                    Yea C-USA seems like a good fit.

Comment

Their QB this year could darn well be the heisman winner.

Comment

No! No! and No!
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

FB drives the membership. Not basketball.

The conventional wisdom is that there will be 4 16 team super conferences.

Mizzou will have the easiest time and best opportunity to join a new conference, not KU. The B10 is still an option for MU.

:roll:
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I wonder how Ku feels about being fcs
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                            Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

THe college sports bubble will burst soone enough

Comment

Working...
                              X