Starlite Drive-In Closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starlite Drive-In Closing

Heard the Starlite drive-in is closing permanently. :frown: Sad to see it go ... had a lot of fun times there with my family back when it was the Landmark.

Very sad for me and my wife!
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Damn, I'm sure many of my former girlfriends are remembering all the great times we had at the ole drive-in, or as we called it "I said no SHOXAAC and I mean it this time" movie marathon. Ahhh, the memories!

Comment

I'll miss hearing their commercials and will always remember the phone number, "Starlite Drive-In... call 316-524-2424"...

Don't think this ones Wichita, but worth a watch anyway...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Comment

Hold the phone!

Hope for the Starlite? Drive-in owners make last-ditch effort to save Kansas theater

Comment

Wow, the new owner was GIFTED the Starlite in a will and is now turning around and selling it for top dollar with complete disregard for its history and without reaching out to other operators to preserve it -- which is why it was gifted specifically to him by Jim Goble in the first place. That's d-bag territory.

Whatever developer is making the offer to him really ought to step up and do the right thing if they close on the transaction.

Comment

Hope that dude doesn’t ever plan on landing another job in Wichita. What a scumbag.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm sure he'll be heading back to Colorado with his pockets full of money after destroying the dream of the person who gave it all to him.

• abdullah_sharif
                  abdullah_sharif commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Business is business, but quite sad for sure

Looks like they set up the sale with a re-zoning first if I read it correctly? Dude made around 66K from it 2 years ago. Not a bad gig for a gift.

I never got the drive in thing, but I've also never been a huge movie guy anyway so I'm sure that's some of it. Still, I would like to have seen this get saved.

Comment

Fans of Starlite Drive-In plan rally they hope will save theater

Comment

Auction that would dismantled the Starlite Drive-In is postponed
                    "Monday offered a faint glimpse of hope for Wichita’s recently shuttered drive-in theater. McCurdy Auction announced Monday morning it…"

Comment

My great grandfather was a blacksmith. Just sayin . . .

Comment

It's something cool to have, but unfortunately, if there was enough demand for it to survive and thrive in Wichita, we wouldn't be having this conversation for what seems like the umpteenth time. Same goes for Joyland. Not to mention both were in awful locations if you're trying to operate in 2018.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                          It's something cool to have, but unfortunately, if there was enough demand for it to survive and thrive in Wichita, we wouldn't be having this conversation for what seems like the umpteenth time. Same goes for Joyland. Not to mention both were in awful locations if you're trying to operate in 2018.
                          It was both surviving and thriving.

There were two opportunities for the new owner to cash out: a) sell it to other theater operators that offered up cash, or b) sell it to some developer for industrial use.

The previous owner GIFTED the thriving business to the new owner with the express purpose that it continue to be operated as a profitable and well established theater. The new owner decided to maximize his wallet instead of honor his commitment to the man who GAVE him the opportunity in first place.

There is absolutely no clearer example of what it means to be a "sell out".

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                            My understanding is that the inherited owner cashed out about $70,000 a year after clearing payments of all other obligations.

My biggest question: In the Eagle, he was said to have told the public that he asked the county for a zoning change due to estate planning issues he wanted to resolve. Did he tell the zoning commission the same thing and if so, would their approval be made under false pretenses or did he tell them all along what he was gong to do?

Comment

Working...
                            X