In Memoriam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Memoriam

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

I hiked up to the site three years ago. One of the most chilling experiences of my life-like time stood still for 45 years. Not sure how another crash site would have affected me, but the emotions and love I have had for this school never felt more real than that day.

Comment

I appreciate ShockBand posting this and I'm ashamed to admit this is the first time I haven't remembered the date. I guess too much eBay, email, texting, politics, family issues and a bunch of total nonsense caused me to forget this important date in our beloved universities history. I pray I never forget it again. This event should never be forgotten and it should be required reading for each of our 20,000 + WSU and WSU Tech students.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

While I appreciate the simple form and starkness of the memorial design, I kind of wish it had something of beauty as well, so that we remember the beauty of the lives of those we lost. Even something as simple as a small raised planter with a bronze copy of the helmet of that year, which could then be surrounded by the flowers of the seasons, as our groundskeepers do so well on campus.
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Such a sad day. Maybe you all already know this, but if I recall correctly the symbolism of the two structures is meant to reflect the two planes, ie, the upright one is for the plane that flew without incident and the lower bent one represents the plane that did not make it.

Comment

I've also heard the symbolism is the one with the names is bent as if bowing heads in prayer, and the tall one is reaching to heaven. I had not heard the representation of the two planes one before, but it makes sense.

Comment

So far this is what I have found: Memorial '70

Memorial '70 on the campus of Wichita State University. Memorial to the players and coaches who died in Colorado from Wichita State University. The tall part of the memorial represents hope while the L-shaped part represents the crashed plane and those who died in Colorado. The memorial was dedicated on November 28, 1971.

A solemn tribute to the players and coaches who tragically lost their lives in Colorado. This memorial symbolizes hope and remembrance, honoring their legacy. Dedicated on November 28, 1971.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X