Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subject: The Germans Captured More than 20,000 GI's during the Battle of the Bulge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: The Germans Captured More than 20,000 GI's during the Battle of the Bulge

This is one of the greatest examples of leadership I've ever heard. Master SGT Roddie Edmonds is a true HERO and a very courageous man. Very strange that this story has been so hidden all these years? Would have made one hell of a War movie. And still would.
    The Germans captured more than 20,000 GIs during the Battle of the Bulge. The men of the 422nd Regiment were marched some fifty kilometers to Gerolstein, Germany where they were loaded into box cars, 60 to 70 men per car, with virtually no food or water. They spent four days and nights traveling to Stalag IXB in Bad Orb, Germany, arriving on Christmas Day.

After several weeks in Bad Orb, the American POWs were divided into three groups – officers, non-commissioned officerss (NCOs), and enlisted men. The NCOs were taken to Stalag IXA in Ziegenhain. There were 1,292 men in this group.

The highest ranking NCO was Master Sgt. Roddie Edmonds from Knoxville, Tennessee. Upon their arrival in Ziegenhain, the commandant of Stalag IXA, Major Siegmann, ordered all Jewish POWs (estimated to be around 200) to present themselves the next morning.

Master Sgt. Edmonds ordered all 1,292 American POWs to stand in formation outside of their barracks.

Watch this video to hear what happened:

https://vimeo.com/198357872
    []
    Following the Footsteps of My Father

Amazing story!
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

60Shock - One of the best 15 minutes I’ve spent on Shockernet. Incredible story. Blockbuster movie potential. Thanks for sharing!
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• 60Shock
        60Shock commented
        Editing a comment
        WstateU - Can't imagine why we are just hearing about this 73 years later?

Wonder how many other great human interest stories are out there that we likely will never hear about as that wonderful generation of men and women are today passing so quickly and those that are left are in their late 80's and 90's. Like this one, it was the son who stumbled upon it.

Truly an amazing and powerful story about the men of the greatest generation.

Roddie Edmonds is certainly deserving of the congressional Medal of Honor if he does not have it already.

An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Wow, truly incredible story, thanks for posting, I will be sharing with others! I agree with WstateU maybe the best thing I've seen on SN.

Comment

Working...
        X