Sports Teaching Character?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Teaching Character?

It used to be (not too long ago I think), that sports were meant to teach character. Athletes were expected to have character at school and in the community if they expected to be on an athletic team (extra curricular activities). Perfection of behavior wasn't the goal imo, but serious criminal activity wasn't acceptable if one wanted to participate on the team. I know that there is a difference between proven criminal activity, and possible criminal activity, but it used to be that if one put yourself in precarious circumstances, that were surrounded with serious crimes, and that they knew were bad judgements, suspension was expected, and extraction from the team was possible. There was no proven crimes (in court) necessary. Investigations took place, students and others were interviewed in private, and decisions were made with the information that was found.

Has that changed? Have our expectations changed? Are we more fixated on "winning" than we are on building character in our youth? If so, that's sad.

These three athletes are accused of but were accused of extremely serious crimes, however, they were allowed to complete their athletic seasons. One of them is a Division 1 Jayhawk basketball recruit from Topeka.

Does anyone have insight into these situations or know these kids or anyone who does?

Comment

Well no discussion about this issue speaks volumes. It appears that maybe we are no longer teaching character in athletics.

No other country has an athletic system in their schools. With tax dollars so tight, maybe AAU should handle high school basketball. We could have club soccer and football. We already do much with summer baseball. The tax dollars could truly educate our kids to read and raise engineers.

Winning can be done Privately and subsidized by governments if necessary to produce the top athletes. I'd like to keep my money, make sure my family is educated, and if my kids/grand kids want to pursue athletics, I'll pay for it.

Comment

Small rural communities would die without school system athletics. The character and personal relationships built among teammates is invaluable to the future of our country especially now with the electronic age taking time away from developing strong personal bonds
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
          Does anyone have insight into these situations or know these kids or anyone who does?
          Sigh..

Do you have even an idea on how corrupt the AAU circuit is?

You know club soccer & football are already established?

Do you actually have an understanding of public education, how it's funded, & problems faced today's locally, regionally, nationally?

You want the government to help subsidize and run these? The same government who can't fund these schools adequately & knock in a comment above?

Do kids that play travel baseball in the summer still play school ball?

You think the thousands of coaches who coach in just this state alone, aren't teaching character, accountability, etc., and that for-profit teams like AAU teams will teach those important character issues--- you been to an AAU tournament?

Do you believe in due-process taking care some of your concerns? Schools don't have legal jurisdiction if it didn't happen on schools grounds/at school function. Instances like these are a dime-a-dozen in today's athletics, given the increase in technology & social media. Every case has different nuances.

I suggest researching some of your concerns before jumping to conclusions and you might answer some of your own questions. These kids could be guilty, I don't know, but I'd let this play out and then comment however you feel fit.

Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

You wrote a lot I didn't say. It doesn't really matter to me how they're funded. I just don't know how anyone can say that we have character building in current government funded athletics. We are just funding the most talented because fewer and fewer kids are participating. If not, why do we have them. We need to fund them with other dollars instead of tax dollars.

Comment

I just don't know how anyone can say that we have character building in current government funded athletics. We are just funding the most talented because fewer and fewer kids are participating. If not, why do we have them.
              ^^^^^^^^
              can you justify that with ANYTHING of substance

Lol you said & implied everything I touched on in 2 of your 3 posts ITT & it's apparent you have no understanding of youth-HS athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by small tyme baller View Post

^^^^^^^^
                can you justify that with ANYTHING of substance

Lol you said & implied everything I touched on in 2 of your 3 posts ITT & it's apparent you have no understanding of youth-HS athletics.
                Well from the articles listed above, it appears that serious crimes are getting out of hand with a few high school players. And they are just allowed to play on. LOL
                Second, it is well known that at most schools, numbers are down a lot from what they used to be. Some schools still do well with their numbers, but kids aren't participating if they don't play very much.

Comment

Well from the articles listed above, it appears that serious crimes are getting out of hand with a few high school players. And they are just allowed to play on. LOL
                  Second, it is well known that at most schools, numbers are down a lot from what they used to be. Some schools still do well with their numbers, but kids aren't participating if they don't play very much.
                  Wow, way to not address anything. "Articles above" - You mean the 1 article that doesn't make your stance anymore justified. You still haven't researched anything to back your claims and are continuing to make new claims that you have no facts or reasoning behind. Thanks for taking the lazy way out to show you have no idea what you are talking about.

If you'd like to tackle this w/facts, insightful discussion, etc., by all means ... But outlandish statements based on your limited understanding of all involved only makes this impossible to continue. If this is a troll job, congrats, if not ... Deuces ✌️

Comment

Working...
                  X