So I wonder if you guys could help me with finding a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I wonder if you guys could help me with finding a guitar

I know next to nothing about guitars and I want to know where to get a decent guitar from. (acoustic if it matters)

Go talk to Phil and the guys at Uhlik.

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

I really like dealing with EM Shorts/Wichita Band. I have purchased 3 guitars and a mandolin from them, easy to deal with and good pricing/selection.

It is good to know what your intentions are, before you go in.

Are you just a beggining your awsome guitar career?
      Pricing points you are able to purchase at?

Typically I go for a quality product at an affordable price point. Made in the USA.

Currently my acoustic is a C.F. Marting DM. It was about $600. Comapared to alot of Martin models this is really affordable.

There are some decent guitars at cheaper price points but you will lose some sound quality, and construction quality. Make sure you have someone there play different guitars, so you can hear the sound difference.

I have never been impressed with Fender acoustics, or Gibson. For a cheaper/first guitar model I like Yamaha.

My guitars list:

Fender Stratocaster (American)
      Gibson Les Paul Custom
      Martin Acoustic
      Kentucky Mandolin

I am no expert, but I hope this helps.

P.S. Please don't buy from Guitar Center, help support your local merchants!

Comment

well, I was thinking you know buying a cheaper guitar, just in case I don't get passionate about it like I do with cooking, so maybe $200?

Comment

If you only want to spend $200, you might look at Ebay. If you don't become a "Guitar Hero", you can always go back and sell it for around what you paid for it.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

I was in a similar spot a few years ago. I was looking for an acoustic-electric (acoustic with the ability to plug into an amplifier). Since I'm not a serious guitar player I wanted to stay under $250. A friend recommended Rogue guitars. I ended up purchasing a black AE-300 model from Musician's Friend for right around $200 and have been pleased with it. It is just for my own personal enjoyment playing at home.

It is Korean-made. Has a built-in pre-amp with EQ. I rarely plug it in so I can't give a good review of the electronics.

Whatever you end up getting, make sure you get at least a cheap guitar tuner with it. You'll be glad you did.

Comment

oddly enough, I want to play John Mayer, Jack Johnson, and Michelle Branch type stuff. Yeah, I find it a little girly on my part that I like Michelle Branch's music but eh...

Comment

Just go price shopping. There are several places in Wichita, and several online that have cheap guitars. Don't forget the pawn shops either.

Or, if you just want a really cheap one to get started, go to Wal-Mart. They sell really cheap starter sets...
                Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                Students > Alumni
                If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

I've often thought about getting and learning guitar. Being able to play some Jack Johnson would be cool.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I have a Epiphone and I love it. i had a guitar teacher help me pick it out. If you dobt play have someone who does play it for awhile and let you know what they think.
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Well, be careful. If you don't think you're going to stick with it, don't spend too much money...
                      Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                      Students > Alumni
                      If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                      The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

The one I have is pretty nice, I've gotten some mileage out of it. It's lighter than your regular guitar but it doesn't seem to impress chicks as much as your standard ax.

Edit: Someone already beat me to the punch on guitar hero joke dammit

Comment

Hi John - I've been playing guitar for about 20 years now and out of all the acoustic guitars out there...I've found the "Ovation" to be the easiest to play. Something to possibly to consider since you are just starting out.

They also sound really good. There are quite a few different models that Ovation has and prices vary from $250 upwards to $2,500. They also have the ability to plug into an amplifyer so you have that option as well. Here are a couple pictures I pulled off of Ebay.

Definetely go to a music store and try a ton of acoustics before deciding on one. Go to the store(s) a few different times and even though you may not be able to play a note yet...sit down with it and just hold it and strum it some. You'll find one that feels right. Good luck and let us know how it goes! Peace :good:
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

^dude, those are NICE!

Comment

Dude, screw all those guitar endorsements above. This is where you get the guitar of your dreams!

Comment

Working...
                              X