Colorado Church Shootings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Church Shootings

Pray for the people involved in these two tragedies today.

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Senseless.

I have a friend who works for YWAM there.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Guns and kids just dont mix. Years ago I was a part of a D&D group and one of the people that gamed was Alan Kearby (about 6 years after the shootings). He seemed pretty normal and he served what the legal system gave him so I didn't hold that against him. What was jaw dropping though was here was a person who killed his principal a few years before and is still allowed to own firearms - unbelievable. :shock:

Comment

We will be praying for them, Sub I hope your friend is ok, I'm sure this is a difficult time for them. Its terrible to see this happen, especially in a place of worship and to young people trying to make a positive impact in the world.

Comment

This is a terrible act committed by a crazy person. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

This brought a interesting question to my mind while pondering the situation. WWJD?

I realize that this is a cliche' and is over used and over sold.

From reports so far, the man walked in asked to stay the night, was rejected, and then started firing. I am sure more info will come out later making my thoughts on the subject null and void, but for the time being WWJD?

It was at a dormitory for housing people training to be missionaires. There are beds, food, washing rooms, and missionaries. WWJD?

Againg, this guy WAS crazy, I believe that. As a Christian I have a hard time with a missionary training facility turning away a person who apparently was in need.

In no way am I trying to "stand up for" or condone what happened. Perhaps I am trying to settle the issue with my own religous beliefs, and thoughts. Does anybody else feel this way, maybe I am way off base?

Comment

I guess my first question is how could he have done the shooting at the mission 12 hours before the church and not have been caught?

Second question is, with has been said about his postings on the anti-christian websites, and them pleading for him not to do it, why weren't authorities notified and they could have tried to stop it?

This 24 yr old needed help and wasn't given it. There really is something wrong with the system. Plus he came from a very religious family and look what happened.

Comment

I have no idea how much room was available but I see what you're trying to say. I've been to the base in Vegas and they have almost no spare room. I'm amazed they find the space for the students and the teachers with what they're allowed to work with. There's very little money involved and the missionaries don't get paid. My friend who works there has to stay with a family off the base because she can't afford anything else and they don't have the room.

I finally heard from her today and she's pretty shook up by all of this. Confused and angry about everything.

If what you've heard is true, what would have stopped this crazy kid from shooting more had he been allowed inside with more people? Would he still have shot them? If so it could have turned out a lot worse.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

rrshock:
                Second question is, with has been said about his postings on the anti-christian websites, and them pleading for him not to do it, why weren't authorities notified and they could have tried to stop it?
                I haven't heard about the postings, can someone enlighten me as to there content?

SubGod:
                If what you've heard is true, what would have stopped this crazy kid from shooting more had he been allowed inside with more people? Would he still have shot them? If so it could have turned out a lot worse.
                What if he was given a place to sleep, and shot nobody. He didn't shoot until denied a room, according to reports. I am not trying to argue, I guess I just see the situation differently.

A point is being made to me through his actions. Are we too much like the pharacies sp? and less like Jesus? He was in need, allegedly, and went to missionaries. Who are training to help people, and was denied. Why? Was this the catalyst to go to a church were the former pastor was not practicing what he preached, and shoot more people. Did this kid see the hipocracy that infects every church, and its members. We say one thing and do another, every day. It happens. Did he just prove it? I am so torn.

Comment

It sounds to me as if this guy was administering a test and failure meant he was going to kill someone. Obviously, there is no condoning his actions.

But I see what you are saying, RockChalk. As Christians we can reflect on the situation and ask ourselves if we are showing Christ-like love and servitude or living arrogantly in our ivory towers.

Comment

Originally posted by RockChalkWUShock
                    rrshock:
                    I haven't heard about the postings, can someone enlighten me as to there content?

SubGod:
                    What if he was given a place to sleep, and shot nobody. He didn't shoot until denied a room, according to reports. I am not trying to argue, I guess I just see the situation differently.

A point is being made to me through his actions. Are we too much like the pharacies sp? and less like Jesus? He was in need, allegedly, and went to missionaries. Who are training to help people, and was denied. Why? Was this the catalyst to go to a church were the former pastor was not practicing what he preached, and shoot more people. Did this kid see the hipocracy that infects every church, and its members. We say one thing and do another, every day. It happens. Did he just prove it? I am so torn.
                    I think the questions are valid but in this case it looks like this was not motivated by the refusal to give a room for the night. The Denver Post is reporting that he had written out a hate filled manifesto stating his intentions to kill Christians. (See: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_7686929). It looks like the YWAM staff accurately diagnosed that this was not a person in physical need but rather a person with an agenda who was bent on making trouble for their staff (although I am not sure they could have anticipated that he was planning this kind of violence).
                    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I am glad more info is comming out. Sounds like a pretty messed up dude. Getting some background sure clears alot up in my mind. Thanks Guys!

Comment

After reading more about everything I have no problem with them not allowing him in.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Our pastor shared in church this weekend that while the 18 year old girl who was shot lay dying from her wounds, she told a friend who was comforting her "this is why we're here" meaning to help people like the shooter. (There was more to the quote but that's what I remember, if someone has the exact wording please post it.) Then several members of her family went to the parents of the shooter to tell them that they forgive their son for what he did. I just thought that was amazing, sometimes we can't hardly forgive the person who cuts us off in traffic and she forgave her murdered while she lay dying. She was definitely a model of God's love and forgiveness!

Comment

Working...
                          X