Has it really been 20 years?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has it really been 20 years?!

Andover city officials hope to reunite residents with photos blown away by deadly 1991 tornado
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

I lived in the trailer park across from Sutherlands on MacArthur when it hit south Wichita area. You could see debris going in circles as it tore up that area headed for McConnell and Andover.

Comment

Can't believe it's been 20 years. This event is what catapulted me into severe weather.

I remember driving home from my grandparents late in the afternoon. I pointed out a funnel at 21st and Maize. My mom said it wasn't one. We turned on the tv when we got home and Jim O'Donnell was telling about a funnel report at 21st and Maize. People forget there was a brief tornado with a separate cell that hit the Goddard area just before the main event was getting going down south and east.

My most vivid memory of the day was how humid it was, especially when the sun finally came out by late morning. We were at a funeral and I remember talking about how bad it was gonna be later.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
        Can't believe it's been 20 years. This event is what catapulted me into severe weather.

I remember driving home from my grandparents late in the afternoon. I pointed out a funnel at 21st and Maize. My mom said it wasn't one. We turned on the tv when we got home and Jim O'Donnell was telling about a funnel report at 21st and Maize. People forget there was a brief tornado with a separate cell that hit the Goddard area just before the main event was getting going down south and east.

My most vivid memory of the day was how humid it was, especially when the sun finally came out by late morning. We were at a funeral and I remember talking about how bad it was gonna be later.
        I was quite young, but I remember my mom talking about how it felt in Andover just before it happened. Luckily, she had just left town and almost turned back to go to the dry cleaners, but since she had ice cream in the car she decided against it. The sirens in Benton went off just as she walked into the house.

Anyway, she remembered talking to the kid at Pizza Hut who helped take the pizza/soda to the car about how thick the air was and how still and weird it was there. Couldn't have been more than 10 or 15 minutes before things went to hell. What really had us, at home, concerned was our dog. The stairs going downstairs weren't inclosed and she was knocked off and did a nose dive a few years before and always had to be carried down when the weather was bad after that. We opened the back door and she sprinted across the house and straight down the stairs to the basement. At that point, we figured we were in for a rough evening. Thankfully for us, we didn't get anything in Benton, but we had friends and family who experienced more than they wanted to.

I'll never forget the day, no matter how young I was or how old I get.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I was sitting in the parking lot at Eck Stadium with my father in law waiting for the gates to open for a series agains Creighton.

You could see that giant cell racing S.E. of Wichita and you could tell a lot of people were going to be in trouble.
          Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Working...
          X