Wichita internet providers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita internet providers

I am dropping cox as an internet provider. The only other brand I know is AT&T. What other companies are other people using. We don't game, no kids. Just the wife and I on tablets and watching Netflix. I think we currently have 15 mbs download. Any suggestions.

This is my $0.02. AT&T is a LOT more reliable and stable from a connectivity stand-point. But it's pricier and slower. If you aren't a bandwidth hog with kids streaming every conceivable video on the Internet and gaming like crazy, you will like AT&T over Cox. Start with the lowest tier of bandwidth and see if the speed suits you. If not slowly increase until you find the sweet spot.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Do you know how at&t transmits its signal? Cox has coax cable, what does at&t use? We haven't had a land line for over 10 years, and after the ice storm in 06 we don't have a line from the utilities to our house.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerLager View Post
        Do you know how at&t transmits its signal? Cox has coax cable, what does at&t use? We haven't had a land line for over 10 years, and after the ice storm in 06 we don't have a line from the utilities to our house.
        If you have Uverse in your neighborhood it's fiber to your neighborhood and then twisted pair from the "serving area interface" to your home. They will run the line to your home.

Comment

Kung Wu, you say AT&T is slower but in my research they are saying 50mbps whereas I'm at 15mbps with Cox, isn't that significantly faster? I'm paying $60+ with Cox and the 50mbps with AT&T is $50 (off promo according to the person I spoke with). So, am I misunderstanding something? I was told AT&T doesn't offer anything less than 50. Is this a marketing thing where they are actually slower? I ask because I don't know, not trying to be a smart ass even though I usually try to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockMe300 View Post
            Kung Wu, you say AT&T is slower but in my research they are saying 50mbps whereas I'm at 15mbps with Cox, isn't that significantly faster? I'm paying $60+ with Cox and the 50mbps with AT&T is $50 (off promo according to the person I spoke with). So, am I misunderstanding something? I was told AT&T doesn't offer anything less than 50. Is this a marketing thing where they are actually slower? I ask because I don't know, not trying to be a smart ass even though I usually try to be.
            So there are two things in play here:

1) On AT&T's Uverse, the speed is very dependent on how far the "green box in the neighborhood" is from your home. They will say "UP TO XMbps", but in Wichita it's pretty rare to get the full XMbps, because almost all homes in Wichita are still copper to that "green box in the neighborhood". If you call them and ask them to come out and tell you what speed you will get, they generally will do that before you order service and give you the ACTUAL Mbps you are going to get. You COULD get 50Mbps, but do not be surprised if the available bandwidth to you is a LOT less (even less than 10Mbps). It really just depends on the equipment they have installed and the distance you are from it.

2) On Cox, they will tell you you are getting Y Mbps. And that's true, the coax line is thicker and can provide for great speeds, BUT ... you are sharing the bandwidth with others in your neighborhood. The more kids you have in your neighborhood streaming like heck, the less bandwidth you will get overall. This makes your speed less reliable and also has other quirks, like don't be surprised when your network constantly goes down every time there is a Cox truck in the neighborhood installing/troubleshooting your _neighbor's_ network problem.

If AT&T says your actual bandwidth is 15Mbps, that's a rock solid reliable number. If Cox says you get 15Mbps, that's true as long as your neighbors aren't bastards.

Uverse may offer higher bandwidth at a better cost than Cox now-a-days -- I don't know. But make sure you have them come out and tell you what bandwidth you will REALLY get.

Comment

I use DSLExtreme. They're an ATT reseller for neighborhoods that don't have UVerse available. I pay less than $40/month for the 12mbs plan. Regular speed tests show I'm getting 10-15mbs. I watch tv over the air or stream Netflix/Hulu. With one tv stream and multiple non-gaming computers going at once, I've only ever had lag when using a roku, but don't use it anymore.
              That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

Yes, DSL via ATT should be pretty stable as well.

Comment

Working...
                X