KC Royals - KIDS Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus Clips Chasers in Triple-A Title Game
    ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - With the ice cream sundae of a Pacific Coast League Championship already served, the Omaha Storm Chasers fell just short of putting the cherry on top in a 8-3 loss to the Columbus Clippers Tuesday night in Albuquerque. The Cleveland Indians' affiliate won its second-straight Triple-A National Championship Game, rallying from an early 3-0 hole to cruise to victory.

The one-game, nationally-televised playoff showcase started out well for Omaha, but the offense and pitching stalled out after a first-inning display reminiscent of performances throughout this year's championship run.

Irving Falu got things started with a one-out walk in the first, followed by a single by David Lough to put two runners on. Lorenzo Cain then drilled a two-run triple to the right-center gap, his third three-base hit of the postseason to the exact same spot on the field. One out later, John Whittleman came through with an RBI single in his first playoff at-bat, giving the Chasers a 3-0 advantage.
    2011 Naturals Season in Review
    SPRINGDALE, AR - For the fourth straight season, the Northwest Arkansas Naturals opened the year with a series against the San Antonio Missions in a matchup that although nobody realized it at the time, pitted the defending champs against the club that would wrest control of the league crown as the 2011 season reached its completion. Five months later, the Naturals secured a second-half North Division championship for the fourth time in as many seasons. Though the club fell short in its defense of its Championship, the 2011 season was packed full of memorable moments, notable achievements and season-long thrills for fans at Arvest Ballpark.
    2011 YEAR IN REVIEW
    The 2011 season began in style for the Wilmington Blue Rocks, but ended in frustration. The Rocks rode a red-hot April right to the top of the Carolina League North standings. It was a perch they would hold for much of the campaign's opening half. Unfortunately for Wilmington, the script flipped in late May and the Rocks saw Frederick surge past them to take the first-half division crown. The second half saw Wilmington struggle, as the Blue Crew could not string together enough wins to be a factor for a playoff berth. For the second straight year Wilmington failed to make the playoffs, but that did not stop the Rocks from entertaining their fans from start to finish.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Royals designate Ka'aihue for assignment to clear space for Herrera

Comment

• Originally posted by XManCometh
        Royals designate Ka'aihue for assignment to clear space for Herrera

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/21...ssignment.html
        I was expecting that one.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Starling begins instructional work in Arizona
          MINNEAPOLIS -- Outfielder Bubba Starling, the Royals' No. 1 Draft choice this year, is beginning to get his first game action in the Arizona instructional league.

Starling is expected to play two or three times a week in the league, which opened on Monday and runs through Oct. 21. Don't expect news reports on his batting average; no statistics are kept.

"We keep track of at-bats and innings pitched and that's all we really track," said J.J. Picollo, assistant general manager-scouting and player development.
          So we won't get any stats from the league, but it's good to see that he's getting some PT and coaching from KC. Can't wait to hear how he does in Spring Training and find out where he plays next year. I'm guessing they'll start him in KC.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I've seen a few tweets giving player performance in the instructionals the past few days. Might be able to find a few tidbits on twitter.

Comment

• And it also appears that Starling checked in at 6'6", 2 inches taller than his draft listing.

Comment

• ROYALS ACQUIRE PITCHER ETHAN HOLLINGSWORTH FROM OAKLAND FOR KILA KA’AIHUE

KANSAS CITY, MO (September 27, 2011) – The Kansas City Royals announced today that the club has acquired minor league right-handed pitcher Ethan Hollingsworth from the Oakland Athletics in exchange for first baseman Kila Ka’aihue. Hollingsworth was assigned to the Omaha (AAA) Storm Chasers roster.

The 24-year-old Hollingsworth spent a majority of the 2011 season with Midland (AA) in the Texas League, compiling a 6-5 record with a 3.61 ERA in 17 appearances, including 16 starts. The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder also made a pair of late season starts with Triple-A Sacramento and one relief appearance in the Pacific Coast League playoffs. Born and raised in Joliet, Ill., Hollingsworth, whose first name is Phillip but goes by his middle name Ethan, was originally drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the fourth round of the 2008 Draft out of Western Michigan University. He was traded to Oakland for pitcher Clayton Mortensen on January 24, 2011.

Ka’aihue, 27, opened the season as the Royals starting first baseman and hit .195 (16-for-82) with two home runs in 23 games before being optioned to Omaha (AAA). He spent the remainder of the season with the Storm Chasers and was designated for assignment by the Royals on September 21.

Comment

• It'll be interesting to find out more about Hollingsworth. Not sure what I expect considering Kila's numbers, but adding an arm can't hurt.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• For the year, mostly at AA Midland:

7-5, 3.76 ERA, 18 starts in 19 games, 105.1 IP, 120 hits, 10 HRs, 27 BB and 73 Ks.

Was a Texas League All-Star this year.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eibner among Royals in Arizona action
                      MINNEAPOLIS -- A handful of the Royals' 2011 Draft picks got their first action in the Arizona instructional league on Monday.

The fall league has an "advanced" division where standings are kept, for more experienced players. The Royals' team is mixed with Rangers prospects. Brett Eibner, a second-round pick in 2010 for the Royals, drove in the lone run for the Surprise team in a 9-1 loss to Goodyear.

Any statistics kept in the lower "instructional" league are unofficial. To help make games a teaching experience, scenarios such as adding a runner on base to start an inning may be played out, or an inning may end once a pitcher reaches his pitch count for the frame.
                      There's a little info about the lower level league as well.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Minor League Profile Ethan Hollingsworth
                        The Royals become Ethan’s third different franchise after being drafted from Western Michigan University in the 4th round where he put together a 18-12 record and 3.23 ERA in three MAC seasons. Hollingsworth coming out of college had a 89-92 mph fastball and what was described as a nice slider but since being drafted and getting more looks by scouts has what has been described as fringy breaking stuff but a good changeup and good control on his 89-91 mph sinker/fastball. At 6’2 200 lbs Hollingsworth’s upside is at best a back of the rotation 5th starter with a more likelyceiling coming as a low leverage reliever type to add depth in AAA.
                        Instruct highlights Tuesday 9.27
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Bubba and two others were cited for underage driniking. Someone emailed me the article that I believe is from the KC Star.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
                            Bubba and two others were cited for underage driniking. Someone emailed me the article that I believe is from the KC Star.
                            No biggie. He's a 19 year old with a beer. Not like he was smoking meth or anything. Had they written about every time I had a beer when I was underage, they wouldn't have had enough room for any actual news.

Originally posted by SubGod22
                            It'll be interesting to find out more about Hollingsworth. Not sure what I expect considering Kila's numbers, but adding an arm can't hurt.
                            Considering he's from the Oakland farm system, he might actually be decent. I'm not expecting him to make the big league squad though.

Comment

Working...
                            X