KU's Brandon Rush out on Bond after arrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KU's Brandon Rush out on Bond after arrest

LAWRENCE - Kansas basketball guard Brandon Rush was arrested this afternoon on two outstanding warrants for failure to appear in court on traffic charges, Lawrence city prosecutor Jerry Little said.

Rush was transported to the Douglas County Jail, where he posted a $500 bond before being released. He had come to the municipal court offices to take care of at least one of his traffic matters when he was arrested.

One of the warrants was the result of a traffic violation on Dec. 6, 2006, when Rush was cited for driving left of roadway and no insurance. He failed to make an appearance on that case, a warrant was issued and he posted a bond of $262 with instructions to appear in court Nov. 28. He failed to appear and a warrant was issued.

On Oct. 19, Rush was charged with driving on a suspended license and speeding (49 mph in a 35-mph zone) and was ordered to appear in court Nov. 14. He again failed to appear, so another warrant was issued.

This time, though, Municipal Court Judge Randy McGrath nearly doubled the bond amount to $500. A new court date was set for Dec. 12.

"I think the judge wanted to send a message that you have to show up in court regardless of who you are," Little said.

In a statement, KU coach Bill Self said, "We are disappointed because our players need to be more responsible when handling situations in dealing with the law. Brandon did not appear in court, therefore, this happened. This is a costly lesson for him and a great lesson for the rest of our players. Although this matter has been reported publicly, any team punishment will be handled internally."

Let that of been me and they would have added 2 more 0's to the end of the bond and labeled me a flight risk.

Comment

It's pretty cheesy that he came in to the court to handle one matter and they arrested him on another. He's clearly not a flight risk, though there's no reason for him not to appear. At least it's not mid-90's Wichita where those unable to pay fines or court costs were jailed until they were able to do so, which was indefinitely.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

So, any bets on if Rush will do more than run a few extra sprints in practice?

"Handled internally" indeed. We already know how Frank Martin "handles" this type of situation.

I would hope that if one of our players had similar troubles, he would at least lose a little playing time.

Comment

Frank Martin?
          "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

Originally posted by WSU Shocker
            Frank Martin?
            KSU coach. Senior Blake Young was also arrested for failure to appear in court and discipline was "handled internally". He missed no playing time from what I can gather.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

"Handled internally" indeed. We already know how Frank Martin "handles" this type of situation.

I would hope that if one of our players had similar troubles, he would at least lose a little playing time.
              Handled internally, of course, someone has to pay the fines! 8)
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11

Call up the boosters. Get free legal advice and a big check to pay it off. And nothing ever happened. At least until he does it again.

Comment

$20 says he makes it to his next court date.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

sir gambling is illegal in wichita

:-x

Comment

Originally posted by Indy23
                      $20 says he makes it to his next court date.
                      That's a no-brainer. There'll be a line a mile long to drag him to the Douglass Co. Courthouse. Plus all the booster lawyers will have it taken care of for him before that time anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11

I'm going to bet one of his millionaire brothers paid the fines for him.
                        "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                        X