Took Some Years and Lots of Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took Some Years and Lots of Work

I recorded one piece of a practice session playing guitar. 8 years ago I made it through a major bout with cancer. Docs had given me a 0% chance of surviving. I'm not interested in any congratulations or hearing how great it was that I survived. That's pretty much history by now.

What I really lost was me. Eating is a challenge. I'm in the process of losing my teeth from the radiation. My voice went from radio DJ to hoarse a lot of the time. That stuff is all permanent and I've adjusted.

I had to lay off of music for several years. I had other things I needed to do with the limited energy I had. I thought my music was another loss. It's coming back. This isn't great. It's "good enough" that I'm willing to record it and share with friends. It's a practice piece that I use to move around the neck of the guitar and play (hopefully) the right notes at different spots on the neck of the guitar. It would be best as soft background for a conversation or a meal.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Just curious, who do you listen to/study?
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
      Just curious, who do you listen to/study?
      Lately, it's been Robben Ford. Others include Popa Chubby, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Walter Trout. The last 3 are blues-rock where Robben Ford is blues-jazz. My ear and tastes have moved toward the jazzy side. I refer to my "style" (if I have one) as "jazzed blues".

I used to do a lot of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Johnny Winters stuff. I don't think that works with the public any more. Blues is absolutely dead as a performing art in Wichita. I've played with over half the people in the Wichita Blues Hall of Fame. Those people and their audience are no longer among us.

Right now I'm just trying to work on muscle memory to play various phrases. Once I get that down I'll move to actually playing songs. I'm looking at instrumental arrangements of things like "Easy" by the Commodores (Lionel Ritchie song). My target is some short gigs (1 or 2 hours max) 6 months to a year down the road. Mixers, hospitality hours, dinner music, etc.

Comment

Kinda had a grant green vibe. You should throw in some maj9 and #11's on those arpeggios for some more spice.

sounds great, and kudos for having the balls to record yourself. Ive been playing jazz at varying levels for 10 years and still wouldn't willingly record myself, much less post it on a public forum.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
          Kinda had a grant green vibe. You should throw in some maj9 and #11's on those arpeggios for some more spice.

sounds great, and kudos for having the balls to record yourself. Ive been playing jazz at varying levels for 10 years and still wouldn't willingly record myself, much less post it on a public forum.
          Warning to casual readers - Music nerd talk about to happen.

I can't use a M9 because my background is using a flatted 7th. There's a lot of 9ths in there. I use a #11, but I've only used it to resolve to the 11. I've never used it in an arpeggio. Tried it out and found an easily fingered 5-1-#11 arpeggio that sounds nice and can resolve either down to the 11 or up to the 5.

I'll give Grant Green a listen. Thx for the tip.

This recording is just a starting point to work from. A couple days after I recorded it I can hear a lot of things that didn't occur to me as I was playing it. I can improve listenability substantially. Right now I was just thrilled to get through 5 minutes of soloing with so few (obviously noticeable) mistakes.

Comment

I'm far from an accomplished musician, but that's very relaxing music. I might have to add it to my Shockernet surfin' soundtrack.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              Warning to casual readers - Music nerd talk about to happen.

I can't use a M9 because my background is using a flatted 7th. There's a lot of 9ths in there. I use a #11, but I've only used it to resolve to the 11. I've never used it in an arpeggio. Tried it out and found an easily fingered 5-1-#11 arpeggio that sounds nice and can resolve either down to the 11 or up to the 5.

I'll give Grant Green a listen. Thx for the tip.

This recording is just a starting point to work from. A couple days after I recorded it I can hear a lot of things that didn't occur to me as I was playing it. I can improve listenability substantially. Right now I was just thrilled to get through 5 minutes of soloing with so few (obviously noticeable) mistakes.
              I was impressed with how smooth you were able to make everything. To casual readers, what aargh is was able to do there was a monumental step in learning music and performing. It is very impressive and deserves serious recognition.

I look forward to hearing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                It's a practice piece that I use to move around the neck of the guitar and play (hopefully) the right notes at different spots on the neck of the guitar. It would be best as soft background for a conversation or a meal.

https://youtu.be/QfBpevYl5Ec
                Dust in the Wind started as a finger exercise. I wonder how many other notable licks/hooks started out as practice/warm-up material?

Comment

Congrats on getting your chops back, very nice and appreciate you sharing. I'm sad to hear the Blues is dead in Wichita. Sad to say it's hard to find a good place to hear live Blues in the DC area these days as well. Of course, we rarely venture out on weeknights and the good Blues acts can get expensive to see when they come to town. Keep on strumming and good luck building up to performance level!

Comment

Working...
                  X