WSU Women 57, Texas Southern 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Women 57, Texas Southern 40

Good start by the Lady Shocks, fighting back from 21-18 deficit at halftime. Started slow offensively, and Kiki got into foul trouble, but they overcame all that adversity to play pretty well on defense.

much better second half...good way to start the year..

Comment

All in all I thought it was a pretty ugly ball game. Particularly the 1st half which ended with Texas Southern leasding 21-18.

I was a little unsure what to think of this team after their Exhibition Game, because while they looked improved it was hard to tell for sure how much effort the Oklahoma Flyers were putting into the game.

I think that question was answered tonight. Texas Southern is not very good nor very deep, but they were organized and played hard on defense. The Shocks offense was pretty stagnant for a good part of the night.

I guess holding your opponent to 40 points is a positive, but again it do not look like a quality opponent to me.

The 3 freshman that played Sam Smith, Jen DeGarmo and Jadhon Kerr all looked pretty decent.

Among the veterans March Sudbeck and Kyrie Kinder came on in the second half to lead the Shocks.

Taylor and Kiki and below par games. Jacie also had a poor game at the point.

Jury is still out on this team, but tonight did not provide me with a great deal of encouragement.

The next 4 games will tell us more about where we really are.

Comment

To be honest i dont think they can take anything good from that game... post defense was pretty good but the guards had no ball pressure. we have more depth on the bench yet texas southern out hustled us. If that was any other team we probably loose or it comes down to the last few mins. No girl for southern could shoot for anything except for the PG and she was ok at best. Also the refs were god awful... they blew calls for both teams.

Positives.... ummm.... ummm... decent post defense, marcy looked really good 2nd half, better ball movement in the 2nd half and thats about it, sorry if that is harsh to some readers but they are better than that.

More negatives... they ran absolutely no offense for the first 7 mins of the game, more turnovers that reminded me of last year, and they just looked slow for basically all the first half minus Daria
        Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

The 3 freshman that played Sam Smith, Jen DeGarmo and Jadhon Kerr all looked pretty decent

- I'll add that as a positive, they did log some good minutes and they knocked down their FT's :D

Comment

You probably have not had a scintillating basketball game when the turnovers exceed the number of field goals made.

The Shocks made 21 FG's on 57 attempts (36.8%) and had 22 turnovers.

Texas Southern was worse making only 13 FG's on 51 attempts (25.5%) and turning the ball over 21 times.

Nor was either team particularly sharp from the FT line with the Shocks hitting 13-21 for a sizzling 61.9% compared to the 45.5% shot by Texas Southern on 10-22.

The Shocks did end up with a solid edge in rebounds at 51-36.

It was just not an aesthetically pleasing game.

Comment

It looked like WSU was by far the better team, even when they were trailing in the first half. I think it's a good sign that after they got everything working they took a big lead and were able to blow Texas Southern out.

Comment

If K-State needs a big nose guard to shore up their suddenly leaky defense or perhaps an offensive tackle they might want to contact the backup center (#45) of Texas Southern.

What you think guys, 6'5" and 275 lbs (and I'm trying to be polite).

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                  If K-State needs a big nose guard to shore up their suddenly leaky defense or perhaps an offensive tackle they might want to contact the backup center (#45) of Texas Southern.

Page 3
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker

Shane Dennis tried to compare her to Angela Buckner... actually he said Angela would look like Muggsy Bogues standing next to her. :)
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

One thing that hurt was the officiating. It's hard for a team to get into a groove when the officiating is so inconsistent. On one end they call a touch foul, that was questionable, and then on the other end someone gets mugged in front of the same official who'd called the previous foul. Stuff like that happened all night and that makes it tough for any team to get into the flow.

2nd half was much better than the first. Marcy really stepped up and played well on both ends of the court. She needs to stay aggressive. Kiki had foul trouble and it wasn't all her fault. Jacie struggled. And I think she travels just about every time she touches the ball. But she gets away with it more often than not. Kyrie struggled some offensively (who didn't?) but hit the boards well. I believe she needed two points for a double/double and Marcy needed one more board.

I look forward to seeing how they progress. There are some signs of hope. The offense can get stagnant at times. I don't know why there isn't more movement to it. They seemed to change things at the half and looked a lot better.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

You might as well get used to the officiating. This is my 6th year as a Women's BB season ticket holder and the officiating tonight looked to be what you can normally expect to get at these women's games. In fact, I think overall it was a little better than average.

Comment

I made the comment to a friend tonight that I should get into womens college. There are MUCH better HS officials in this area than the three that were on the court tonight. One of them seemed ok for the most part. The other two weren't very impressive. And the guy was the worst one of all.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Yes I've gone to the games the last four years and officiating is horrible! I was at the game with my mother tonight, and not to be sexist, but I've found the women refs to be soooo inconsistant...and my mother agreed! I dont know what it is and if that is a completely fair assessment but from my past experiences playing with and watching games officiated by women but they take criticism from players too personal and affect the overall flow of the game negatively... by no means am i degrading women and I've seen plenty of good women's refs but the Valley games i've seen have been pretty bad. Also i've seen my share of bad men's refs too.

p.s. subgod... i believe brodie is starting this upcoming sunday (he's from bama... roll tide!) :)

Comment

Working...
                            X