The "Rule of Mike"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Rule of Mike"

I propose a new rule for the board: Every WSU team that Mike Kennedy days play by play for should have their own forum on Shockernet. If WSU is paying MK to call a sports play by play than it is big time.

Mens basketball: Mike Kennedy-own forum
    Baseball: Mike Kennedy-own forum
    Volleyball: Mike Kennedy-bogged down in the Womens forum

Of course I also think we should have a Football forum so that the Olympic and non rev. mens and womens sports have their own forum. The current Mens Sports is 90% about Football.

Having a Football forum is debateable, the "RULE of MIKE" is not.

(Of course Royal and Co. has the last say! :good:

VB doesn't get much action the other 8 months. Womens basketball gets a decent amount of coverage in season and more than VB during the offseason. They belong together here.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The only press WBB gets is BAD PRESS. :lol:
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Right now, there are month old threads on the first page of the women's sports forum. Until there is enough activity on the forum that threads are quickly falling off the first page, we don't need a separate VB forum (and I am a huge VB fan).
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
          Right now, there are month old threads on the first page of the women's sports forum. Until there is enough activity on the forum that threads are quickly falling off the first page, we don't need a separate VB forum (and I am a huge VB fan).
          I have to agree. I probably post as much or more than anyone on this forum, but we simply don't have the level of participation or activity to justify a separate thread for VB. I suspect that fewer than 10 posters account for 80% of the VB activity on the Board and that activity is definitely seasonal.

I haven't exactly figured out what the big benefit of a separate forum would be. I don't think it's a problem for anyone to find the VB discussion if they have an interest. What is the perceived benefit of having a separate forum?

To me the criteria for adding a separate forum is when the posting for any one particular sport crowds out the discussion of other sports or makes it difficult to find and participate in that discussion. VB and Women's basketball are the sports primarily discussed on this forum with a relatively rare post about CC/Track, Golf or Softball.

There is some overlap of the sports, especially in November, but I have never found it difficult to participate in the discussions for either VB or Women's BB on this thread. If that changes at some point in the future than I have no problem asking Royal to consider a separate forum.

Comment

If you pull VB discussion from this forum, there will be two largely inactive forums instead of one moderately active forum (in terms of a full year).

Until VB starts getting a decemt amount of discussion 6-9 monhts out of the year, it doesn't make sense to have it's own forum.

Personally, I'd like to see enough discussion to justify it.

Comment

If the issue is simply locating what sport the thread is about, here is a simple solution - tag the new topic's subject line with something to identify the sport. For example, in Women's Sports:

VB
              BB
              SB
              CC
              Track
              Golf
              Tennis

Men's Sports:
              CC
              Track
              Golf
              Tennis
              FBHD (FootBall Hopes & Dreams)
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

What if the forums changed to be:
                Men's BB
                Baseball
                VB
                Other sports
                Recruiting

That would keep the same amount of forums, just moving some around. It would basically be combining the women's and men's sports threads into one. The men's hardly gets any posts at all. And the women's really only gets VB and WBB.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                  Men's BB
                  Baseball
                  VB
                  Other sports
                  Recruiting

That would keep the same amount of forums, just moving some around. It would basically be combining the women's and men's sports threads into one. The men's hardly gets any posts at all. And the women's really only gets VB and WBB.
                  I like this suggestion. :yes: :good:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                    Men's BB
                    Baseball
                    VB
                    Other sports
                    Recruiting

I second that! :yes:

Comment

Then you still have a forum that's only active for a few months and is pretty much dead the rest of the year. At least with the way it is now, the womens forum stays active through most of the school year. The VB program is moving in the right direction, but the level of talk and interest doesn't yet warrant it's own forum.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I still think that if VB had it's own forum that more would post there. I even forget to go the women's forum sometimes, thus forgetting about VB. Plus lots of pics of the team members would probably help with interest as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                          Then you still have a forum that's only active for a few months and is pretty much dead the rest of the year. At least with the way it is now, the womens forum stays active through most of the school year. The VB program is moving in the right direction, but the level of talk and interest doesn't yet warrant it's own forum.
                          I think you are wrong about "you still have a forum that's only active for a few months and is pretty much dead the rest of the year." Look at Emily Stockman. Leads the MVC in kills, #4 in service aces, #1 in points, #12 in digs http://www.mvc.org/vb/CONFLDRS.HTM HOW DID WE OVERLOOK HER RECRUITMENT??? Why didn't we discuss her transfer from Winthrop? NO FORUM FOR VB!!!

If a transfer to WSU in MBB led the Valley in scoring, would this be a big deal? Volley Talk http://volleytalk.proboards88.com/in...?board=general is active throughout the year. There is no reason Volleyball cannot be of interest to WSU fans for twelve months of the year.

So, I respectively disagree with you. May your soul ... Oops, wrong ending. :good: :lol: :posterwsu: :posterwsu: :posterwsu: Correct ending. :yes:

Comment

Right on SF316!!!!

Comment

If you guys can prove that VB can get discussion year round, or at least close to it, then I would be all for it's own forum. To say that it doesn't get discussed all year because it doesn't have a dedicated forum doesn't make much sense to me. If it's a hot topic and is worthy of discussion that shouldn't stop it.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X