2017-18 WBB NonConference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-18 WBB NonConference Games

The Lady Shocks announced their non-conference schedule today which includes a pretty tough opening salvo of games after a pair of exhibition games.

That opening salvo includes at Creighton (Big East Co-Champs in 2016-17), at Oklahoma State, home vs South Dakota, at Tennessee then a tournament at New Mexico where the Shocks will play New Mexico, Illinoi and UC-Irvine.

That is followed by a home game against former Valley rival Missouri State with the Shocks returning the favor in Springfield about a week later. They also have a road game st South Dakota State.

The back half of the non-con schedule is significantly less challenging with home games against Western Illinois, Savannah State, UMKC, Chicago State, Alcorn State.

With the exception of Missouri State that home schedule won't excite too many Shocker fans although Western Illinois and maybe South Dakota will be tough home games. Glad to see the Shocks keeping Missouri State on the schedule. I hope that continues.

Western Illinois did have a decent year last year winning The Summit League title and finishing with an RPI of 61 and they look like they have most of their key players returning. South Dakota State had and RPI of 45 and South Dakota had an RPI of 80 last year both also out of The Summit League. By comparison the Shockers had an RPI of 178 last year. The Summit League was 11th in RPI last year vs 17th for the Valley so these 3 games plus the 2 Missouri State games should be competitive games for the Shocks. Missouri State had an RPI of 167 last year.

Savannah State, UMKC, Chicago State and Alcorn State had an average RPI of 309 last year. I believe Savannah State is transitioning thier program down to the D-II level.

Last year the Shocks:
    Beat Creighton 62-54 at home last year in the non-con season opener.
    They eeked out a 2-point win at home over UMKC.
    They lost to South Dakota State at home by 20.
    They lost twice to Missouri State. 62-73 in Springfield and 60-65 at home.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 24, 2017, 11:52 AM.

I see the Shockers going around 7-8 against this schedule. There are perhaps 3 or 4 toss up games in there that will determine if they do better or worse than that. Anything better than that and I will consider it a good start to the Keitha Adams regime.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 24, 2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Paul Suellentrop's report on the Shocks schedule.

Comment

That's a good schedule mix. Beat the Lady Vols, and I'll become a life-long Shocker fan.

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
          That's a good schedule mix. Beat the Lady Vols, and I'll become a life-long Shocker fan.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
            Tennessee visited Koch Arena two years ago and the Shocker gave the Lady Vols a decent challenge before losing 51-58. That was a Lady Shocker team that finished 8-22 on the season.

Tennessee is still plenty good but I do think they have slipped some since Coach Summit retired. That said I'm definitely not counting on a win on the Lady Vols home court. I would be quite satisfied if the Lady Shocks can stay within 15 points. A blow out (25+) is certainly a possibility.

This was a series schedule by our former head coach, Jody Adams-Birch, who played collegiately for the Lady Vols. Also one of her assistants was Bridgette Gordon also a former Lady Vols All-American. Bridgette was just hired as an assistant by Tennessee so she will definitely be familiar with our personnel. I suspect this will be the end of games with the Lady Vols during the regular season.

Comment

Working...
            X